1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not take a yardage reduction?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Since I have taken the yardage reductions to the 23 yard line, the highest score I have posted was 94. I shoot at least respectable now and maybe even have a chance to win. I think it's less embarrassing to shoot closer than it was to stand back at the 27 with an 80% average. Win a couple times and you will be back farther anyway. The whole concept of the handicap system is to give everyone a chance to win, isn't it? This could be a lively discussion!

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Way to throw out that hook.

3. Perazzi_MX8

John, I'm really interested in peoples thoughts on this. I've listened to people complain about other shooters being reduced and sometimes they are the ones not accepting a reduction themselves. What if after a 27 yarder gets 100 honorary punches we throw them out of the ATA? There sure isn't anything AMATEUR about that feat!

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I use to be on 25 1/2 yards and am now on the 20. If I could stand on top of the trap house I would. Making the 27 yard line is a great accomplishment, but most shooters want to be competitive, as the name of the game is breaking targets.

I had friends that would refuse to take reductions once they earned the 27 yard line. Some problems that can arise is if your scores are so low that you disrupt a squad with abnormaly low scores.

I also know shooters that refuse reductions so they can continue to shoot with their friends. One thing is certain, if you no longer are competitive and don't belong on a certain yardage, everyone knows it, including youself, and some think your just a pretender.

You paid for your targets, you can do what ever you want with them.
    Steve

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My thoughts and only my thoughts. I started shooting trap 3 years ago and have made it to AA in singles and 25 yard line in caps. I am a very competitive person being in football, baseball and coaching both at the high school level. My goal was to be a AA shooter and on the 27 yard line as fast as I could. I made it to AA in two summers but it has taking me longer to reach the 27. For me I see no reason to take a two yard reduction therefor taking that much longer to reach my goal. I guess one needs to ask themselves why they are in it. For the trophies or to reach your goals.

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Pretty much ditto the previous post. I just joined ATA last year. I'll earn my way as far back as I can, even if I never win a single event. When I stall, I'll stay there. When I finally accept that I can go no further and/or get bored, I won't take a reduction. I'll quit. I haven't tried competitive croquet yet.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Perazzi MX8 and senior smoke, Why didn't you take the reductions earlier?

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

It seems you either believe in the handicap system to make the trap game competitive or you don't. The system moves shooters back and forth in assigned yardage based on their recorded PERFORMANCE (emphasis added) over the most recent time. So, if a shooter chooses to reject a reduction in yardage, that's fine....he/she can try to compete from a yardage at which he/she has demonstrated uncompetitive PERFORMANCE...even though he/she has the dubious "prestige" of shooting from a yardage where he/she has demonstrated a lack of success. Everyone is playing by the same rules. Choosing to not take a yardage reduction allows a shooter to ignore the reality of his/her competitive ability (aka demonstrated PERFORMANCE) in the handicap game for "prestige" or any reason, but it is a choice that all should be free to make. Now, as Bill O'Reilly asks: "Where have I gone wrong here?" Regards, Ed

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So if I understand Ed right, it's "ego".

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Well...yes. Another word might be "pride". For another example, if a shooter is successful at singles and achieves a "AA" rating and, through whatever circumstances (health, vision, etc.), his/her performance drops to a "C" level average, why would the shooter want to continue to shoot against "AA" shooters? That said, if a shooter's handicap performance indicates he/she should be more competitive at a shorter yardage, why resist the game's decision? The answer lies with the shooter, not the rules which apply to all competitors. I guess I don't understand the logic of wanting to shoot uncompetitively, but it is perfectly okay if a shooter wants to and it makes him/her feel better. Many of us get enjoyment from this hobby...kinda drastic to quit if you get a reduction...might be holding on too tight. Regards, Ed

11. lboh

lboh Member

Either your scores gave the ATA enough evidence you were not good enough to stay where you were or sand bagging, you decide

12. t7731

t7731 Member

Why does anyone care if someone else chooses not to take a reduction. In fact, I rather admire those who are in this game to play against themselves and who don't worry about what the next guy shoots or winning an event. For anyone to call that person stubborn or to accuse them of not facing reality is bullheaded at best. Let them be and just be glad that your own chances of winning the next event increase every time someone else is shooting beyond their ability by choice.

Mike

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't take them because it pisses other people off who think everyone is supposed to take them, like its any of their business where anybody else shoots from ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I have a 27yd pin, I think a more fitting award would be a plaque stating- "congratulations you made the 27yd line, on most days you will find that is too far".

15. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I am on the 24 yd. line, and have refused both reductions,a and many requests to reduce. I (personally) don't want to go forward (be reduced) but to move back. I think the reduction is GOOD for that puts all the sand-baggers shooting with each other. Just my $0.03 worth.

Norman

16. Perazzi_MX8

Setterman, I did take the reduction whenever it was offered. I made the 27 many years ago and the very next year I was reduced a yard. My buddies gave me a good ribbing and the first time I shot again from the 26 I broke 98 to shut them up. I never played any money back then and just shot for trophies and fun. I laid off trapshooting for over 20 years and since I have returned it seems a lot harder to break a good score in caps than I remember it to be. Maybe my grand-kids are right that "your a little bit old now, Grandpa". I love to shoot but when people come up and ask, how did you do in caps? Telling them you shot in the 60's and 70's isn't very much fun. Now I can shoot better, and not embarrass myself, and it's a lot more fun. Each shooter has to decide for themselves in the end.

17. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

I think its a personal choice. Ive been to the 27yd several times I had alot of shoulder problems Didnt take the reductions A local top shooter said if im not being competitive Why not just give your money to the better shooters and save your shells I dont think taking a reduction makes a shooter a sandbagger. Most shooters like to shoot and ifthey win great if not theres always next time Then you have a few that will do anything to get in a lower class all they caer is about their ego I found this out years ago when I was in class d shot 300sgls that year and the next yearbroke 100 straight 3guys on squad shook my hand the 4th guy called me a fn' sandbagger and did nothing but gripe at the the club managers I was so gracious I offered him one of my babies pacifiers. This shooter was AA in the last year avg. book and class d the next year Explain that to me?????

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Do I hear an underlying theme from the "Take the Reduction" crowd? Don't come to shoots? Actually I hear something similar to that in varying ways quite often. Have you been for a fair sized local shoot this past year and found that you had to sign up real early in the AM in order to have a shot at being home before 4PM? Used to be enough long yardage shooters to fil out squads and the short and mid yardage shooters has some choices too. Now with so many filling out the 20 to 22 yard squads it is like a traffic jam. I think I['ll just take my state shoot donations of entry fees, gifts for auctions, and stay away. All you "competitive guys take my place. That'll be good. That will be good. Sanctimonious is what you are.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

True MIA.

20. kolar1000

kolar1000 TS Member

Well said WPT,MIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.