1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not just use the double barrel for singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Pardon the newbie question, but what's the real benefit of using a true single barrel for singles? Aside from a little less weight to swing around, any other benefits?

I've been casually shooting a BT-100 for the past 6 years or so and now I want to get into trap a bit more seriously so I am thinking of whether to buy a Combo set or just get a bit better O/U without the single barrel?

Thanks

2. JRW

JRW Member

I have shot my O/U for all 3 games. I mean trap singles, caps and dbls. If you feel an O/U will work go for it. If you keep the BT, and O/U does not work well you can go back to it. Jerry

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a combo now, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a good O/U with selectable trigger and be done with it.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

problem is that my 6 years have been very spotty with long stretches of no shooting and i am just now joining a good club where i will be shooting consistently. also the problem that i don't really know anyone at the club to let me try shooting anything else.

i've been very pleased with my BT-100, but i want to diversify my shooting a bit and start practicing cap and doubles so my BT is not really going to cut it anymore.

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

the K80 Trap Special with the Pro Rib looks AMAZING but no way can I afford that new...I need something a bit lower on the price scale. What do you think is a decent price for a used K80 like that?

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Perazzi MX8.

7. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Go the way of an increasing number of shooters. Get a Caesar Guerini Trap Combo. They are a super high quality gun at a price that is 1/2 of a comparable K gun.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

funny you mention Caesar Guerini Trap Combo, i just saw someone selling a stunning gun for what seems to be a pretty good price, but i've been seeing all these post about some of them blowing up which is very scary so i rather wait and see until that issue is resolved

MX8 doesn't have adj comb? and it doesn't look as slick as the MX2000RS

9. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

If you are looking for an unsingle combo, doesn't Browning make one of these? Browning makes quality at a more affordable price. I shoot MX 10 RS but I believe the Browning is a lot more economical.

Charlie

10. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

get a kreighoff ks5

11. R_Shrode

R_Shrode TS Member

"an o/u is at a distinct disadvantage when you shoot anything but short handicap"

And why is that????

I'll let you break it to Leo that he should be using a unsingle for singles.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Crosswinds and O/Us don't go together.

13. DickG

DickG TS Member

Frank Little did pretty well with an O/U from the 27.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

vpr80, I agree with your premise...an O/U is clearly and ultimately more flexible than a single barrel. Lots of people like single barrels, but I don't understand how, in even the absolute best circumstances, that changing back and forth between a single barrel (dedicated single or one-half of a combo) and then picking up an O/U to shoot doubles or another game lends itself to consistency and similarity of weight, balance, point-of-impact, or any other variable between the two barrel configurations. Buy a good O/U and forget the "need" for a single barrel; so, I agree with Barry Roach who recommends an MX8 (although I can't afford a Perazzi). Guess I'll just stick with 32" Browning XTs. Best Regards, Ed

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

oldgoat, that's exactly what I'm thinking. while ultimately there is probably an advantage to shooting an unsingle at maybe 27yd, but until you get to that A/AA level, I just think it will be worse to keep switching off between two barrels with different characteristics. (fyi - i shoot approx 93-94% at 16yd)

Since the gun is a pretty major investment, I want to get something that's top quality and will stay with me as I get better and not require me to keep upgrading. The plan is to shoot as much as I can in singles/cap with by BT this upcoming year to get better and then buy a top-level gun (P,K,etc) next summer (big b-day present). And I think that I will just look for the best O/U that I can afford at the time and then hopefully pick-up the unsingle barrel down the line.

16. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Don't overlook the beretta 680/ 682 series, great guns and repairable.
    Lot of them out there in good used condition. They are available in unsingle, top single and two barrel versions.

They will take you as far as you want to go in the game.

Its up to you how you progress.

Interesting how every one seems to want to put you in a high end gun
    at this point in your development.

ed.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

stokinpls brings up a good point that I wouldn't have believed had I not experienced it myself.

I shoot an O/U for everything. I'd like to try an unsingle, but for now its the O/U.

One time shooting in a pretty stiff wind, just as I called for the target, a gust of wind pushed my gun enough that it crossed me up, and I missed the target. The additional side surface area of the O/U is susceptible to being pushed around by the wind.

Now, bear in mind, that doesn't happen often, so I can't use that exceuse regularly to explain why I miss targets.

If you're looking for a combo, Browning and SKB have good prices. Try Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE. I think they have a bunch of SKB 85TSS's on closeout right now.

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

vpr80, I think you are on the right track with buying a quality gun and not having to upgrade. I've learned along the way it does not pay to scrimp on quality. You do get what you pay for, even though at the top end you overpay a little.

I restarted shooting trap about six years ago. I bought a use Superposed for $1,450. The barrels were not converged properly and the gun beat the snot out of me.

I sold it for a Beretta 682 Gold E combo, because I liked the way the gun fit and everyone said it was the cat's meow. Well Beretta is brain dead in the way they set that gun up, POI wise. Plus there are considerable problems with the choke tube quality, alignment, and the trigger group.

I sold the Beretta for a used Perazzi MX-15. What a difference. I liked the way it worked so much that I bought a new MX-2000 Nickle and had a 35" barrel from an MX-15 put on it. Along the way I bought a set of new 31.5" O/U barrels for it to make it a combo. Why, because the conventional wisdom was that was the heaviest O/U you could swing well. Bullcrap! The 35" unsingle and the 31.5" O/U presented no end of problems for me. Sight picture and POI were hugely different.

I sold those two barrels and bought a used MX-10RS combo. I kept the barrels and sold off the rest of the parts. I now have a 35" unsingle and a 34" O/U that weigh within an ounce of each other, and swing almost identically. I am happy.

I am still shooting the same late model receiver I bought new. Every barrel set I put on it fit perfectly. Every barrel I sold to others fit their late model receivers perfectly. Even the ejectors did not require retiming. You simply cannot do this with a Beretta or a Browning.

So find a high end gun you like and buy it. You won't get killed trading in a couple of lesser guns along the way, and you'll get fair value out of it if and when you decide to sell it.

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

zzt, that's exactly what I am trying to avoid is buying and selling three or four different guns all while trying to find one that fits and taking the time to fit each one. I just want to get one solid gun and stick to fitting it and getting better with it instead of trading guns like baseball cards.

Sounds like Perazzi the overwhelming favorite around here.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

vpr80,

If resale is a concern, the Perazzi and K-80 are good choices. Each have their supporters.

If resale is not a concern, look at a Kolar. Slightly less money than the above but a fine gun with a "simple" trigger group that can be converted to release for $700. (You likely will eventually shoot release)

You will not regret buying a top end gun. I inched my way to a K-80 and I have complete confidence in it. Buy one used, and you will not lose much, if anything, on it. Buying used makes a Kolar very attractive - if you like the gun. NEVER buy on price - get the gun YOU want.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.