1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not just use chilled shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Plain old chilled shot is usually a couple of bucks a bag cheaper than magnum shot. With so many trap shooters switching to any brand of cheap shells, using reclaimed shot or even making their own shot, why not use chilled shot instead of magnum shot, at least at 16 yards and short handicap?

Does chilled shot have any antimony in it or is it pure lead?

2. crotchetyoldgrouch

crotchetyoldgrouch TS Member

It is my understanding that chilled shot does contain antimony; but much less than magnum shot. I agree with your postion. I will start using whatever I can get at the cheapest possible price.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

With today's equipment I can't think of a good reason why that doesn't make sense. Sure chilled may throw a more open pattern, but if you need to be tighter, why not just screw in a tighter choke?

"Gunwriters", if you choose to believe them, write that chilled shot has some antimony, and drop shot is pure lead.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Chilled shot has around 2% antimony in it. some chilled buckshot are pure lead.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You may have a point. We used to use it years ago before the so called "Magnum" shot came out.

At the time, Magnum shot was a dollar a bag more expensive, and for that little much, I'd say that most shooters went to it.

But before that, it was all chilled shot...........at least for us that reloaded shot shells.

Hauxfan!

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use chilled shot for my skeet loads.

For singles, I suspect, though I have no data to confirm, (Neil, didn't you test this?) that chilled shot would work just fine.

For long handicap (25+) I'd have to do a bunch of pattern testing to convince myself it was OK.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Years ago it was about all that was available to reloaders. Softer shot works if you keep the velocities lower, even from longer yardages. Hap

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've never used chilled shot. Just how much difference is there supposed to be between chilled and magnum shot? I know this has been discussed here many times but I have never seen any numbers attached.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

jerryp,

Depends on what you mean.

Chilled shot has 2% (or so) antimony.

Magnum shot is supposed to have 6% antimony (though that varies from shot maker to shot maker) which makes it much harder, though less dense (that is, for a given volume of shot, the magnum shot is lighter.)

If you're asking about pattern percentages, I can't say, but I think Neil Winston may have tested this at one time.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't understand; my last bag of Westcoast magnum shot says "we make it the old fashioned way, we drop it". What is the difference between chilled and drop shot? I use premium shot for reloading and it works for long yardage Handicap.

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe the cost per shell difference isn't enough to fool with for some/most folks?

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

jerryp - I can't help you with 12 gauge numbers, but I did A LOT of patterning and COUNTING with the .410, and conventional wisdom (or myth) says the 410 is where you really need magnum shot. My numbers showed minimal to statisically irrelevant differences in counts and percentages. Myth busted.

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

In the late 60's and on into the early 70's we used what was available. the same on into the 80's. Most of it said on the bags chilled shot. We used it for 16's as well as handycaps. I'm not sure how much antimony was in it. Our all around averages did not seem to be any different than they are now with even using the mag. shot. I do see a difference in how the bird breaks when it is hit. It either smokes or breaks into more pieces then it did before. But if someone was on then like now they could be smoked when hit. I know I didn't pay that much attention to what was in shot then. Because I guess shot was shot and you needed it to break da birds. My average did dip some, maybe a bird or two when one time I got a hold of a large batch of recycled shot from a gun club. But when the bird was hit it beroke just as good as if I were using regular shot that was available. No I didn't use it for registered shoots but I kept a running average of all the shells that went through my gun on a trap range wheather it was practice or registered. My average over all was 92% and my registered was 94%. With the recycled It was 90%. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Spurred by a post - and my injudicious response to by Old Cowboy, I tested soft vs hard shot and got results I didn't expect at all. See link above.

For singles, soft shot looks fine to me.

And yet another post by the sorely-missed Dr. Andrew Jones led me to another test which seemed to say the our assumption that shot is lead and antimony and nothing else is now wrong, but rather shot is made from what can be bought at the best price and may be a mixture of a lot more.

Neil

(promised link added later)

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil,

You forgot the link!

16. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

If you'er serious about your trap....forget chilled shot!

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oops . .

Thanks

Neil

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not have a problem shooting chilled shot for singles and doubles but I do like mag shot for handicap. But, I do not want to be bothered with keeping two types of shot in stock.

Pat Ireland

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"Trusting the probability data, and I do, I think that though the hard shot would give “more smoke,” the scores shot by these two shells would be the same" so there's Neil's thoughts on hard vs soft.

I'm also starting to think the same thing about just how round shot needs to be also, may not make any real difference. At one time Andrew Jones was talking about a test on roundness but I never saw any further mention of it.

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Jerry..........It don't have to be so "round", but do have to be "heavier" than chilled shot for consistency of pattern,etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.