1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Not Have The NRA Take Over Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

This business with Rively stinks. I've met him, and I find him honest. I think he's from PA, so that makes him almost Midwestern, close enough to America's Honest Zone. If the ATA is bouncing Rively for being honest, shame on the ATA.

As I review the NRA's competition rule books, I see no Trap or Skeet publication.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nra-rule-books.asp

It seems the NRA has left the shotgun sports to the management of the disciplines. Could this change? Could the NRA be implored to sanction shotgun shooting as it does all other sports? Could the National Trap Championships (Skeet, too) be held under NRA sanction at Cardinal?

Could instituting "NRA Trap" be an opportunity to speed up the targets and increase the throwing arc?

Since so many ATA members are also NRA members, consolidating the officiating bodies would save shooters from redundant membership dues.

Alternatively, could the NSSA or PITA find this an opportunity to step it up and take ATA's market share?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1. They have enough on their plate already.

2. It's the National RIFLE Association.

3. The Mag reviews shotguns, and you will get a hunting article now and then. But their focus and name is rifle, and I think they would rather not cut a piece of someon else's pie.

They hook to shotguns in the course of fighting discriminatory FIREARM legislation.

Stir a different pot.

HM

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

As a longtime NRA member, I take great exception with any denigration of that organization's commitment to all manner of firearms. In addition to rifle competitions, the NRA is also one of the strongest promoters of pistol matches around the country, and they stage the annual pistol matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. I suggest you actually join the NRA and shoot in a few NRA matches before you speak nonsense about something of which you have no education.

Weak troll.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

(crickets chirping)

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Wouldn't that be a little bit like letting the Federal Gov't. take over Health Care????????

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Honest to God, you have to be joking ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There is actual history of the International (Olympic) Trap and Skeet games in this country being "governed" by the NRA. The NRA was the official "governing body" in the seventies and eighties when I was actively competing in International Trap. Based on results, they are no longer functioning in that capacity. That should answer your question about the NRA becoming involved in registered tournament shotgun sports.

Mike Mann ATA Life 0734685 PITA Life OR 01630 NRA Benefactor Life 17289341
    Lifetime Supporter of the shotgun shooter.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why not have Wayne LaPierre take over the ATA? A lot of us would like to see him leave the NRA. Two birds with one stone.

9. halfmile

Maybe John Kerry can write an article on how to "crawl on my belly with my trusty double barrel, deer hunting".

Another expert heard from.

Is that shotgun, or rifle related?

HM

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

smoking,

No offense, but it seems to me that the NRA has turned into primarily a political lobbying group. Granted they still do a fair share for shooting sports, but leaving the government and/or lobbying groups out of it would likely be best for the trapshooters.

I am unfamilar with all of the issues that people have with the current make up of the ATA, its bylaws or operations other than what I have read on this website. However, I still believe in a democracy form of government, even though I don't believe in the politicians running (or ruining) it. Accordingly, isn't easier to replace a few people, if there is in fact a problem, than to try to re-invent the wheel or outsource the operating management of the ATA?

Just some thoughts.

John E.

11. halfmile

NRA quit sponsoring Olympic Shooting in 92. They have nothing to do with IPSC or cowboy action, these are their own orgs.

Camp Perry is the world series, for Rifle and Bullseye competition. I think NRA has a muzzle loader thing going too.

NRA is a great outfit, the only game in town for gun owners rights, and everyone should belong. Our club got financial assistance for new field construction from them.

I don't think they have the logistics or manpower for running the ATA, and that is as it should be. Many other NRA activities benefit shotgun shooters, including safety courses, home defense, and instructor certification courses.

I'm sure they have more faces than that, too.

And I like the Magazsine.

HM

12. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Everybody has something to say about the ATA. Heres my two schekles. The system and the orginization seem to work fine in my book. I've only been shootin ATA for not even two years and I love it. Shot about 7000 registered targets this year and hope to double that next year. People complain about cappers being unfair and all that. When I see a 27 yarder break 99 it makes me want to shoot better so I can get back to shoot with him. How the ATA is run is the same as Washington. Gotta take the good with the bad. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

smoking357,

Refer to the other anti-NRA posts by what appears to be two factions in this website: GOA supporters who loved Neil Knox and hate Wayne Lappiere (at least these guys own guns and have semi-cogent arguments) and the "BIZARRO" community: some who believe the NRA is a front for the Communists and members were trained by KGB agents (these "moonbeam" posters operate in a parallel universe).....

I too will not sit quietly by off-the-wall attacks on the most revered, powerful and effective pro-gun organization in the WORLD.

Join the NRA! The most effective pro-gun organization in the WORLD!

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I><blockquote>"... the most revered, powerful and effective pro-gun organization in the WORLD."</blockquote></I>

I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion.

MK

15. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I love debates like this, it bring out the liberal tendency's in people.

As with any great organizations they will have problems, even in their own ranks!

The NRA is the biggest defender of the second amemdment, like it or not!

They wouldn't be, had we elected real leaders who would honor their oath of office!

The second amendment IS NOT about rifles, shotguns, pistols, bows and arrows and black powder or hunting!

Its about keeping the PEOPLE armed enough to overthrow THIER government when it becomes a tyrant about THIER freedoms and liberties.

I know of some NRA card carrying memembers who believe that "black guns" aren't protected by the Second Amendment. THEY are SO wrong!! Thats a liberal mindset for any American to take!

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm an NRA member, but their track record in promoting shotgun sports is abyssmal. I have an NRA Shotgun pin... only one I've ever seen on anybody in 25 years... is mine!

regards,

Jay

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Great post, Timberfaller.

18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Thanks 357,

The NRA is just like the Fed's YOU can't expect them to do everything, thats considered "entitlements".

I've taken the time and effort to let my representives know where I stand and if they vote against their oath of office, THEY will never get my vote and I will do everything I know how to keep them from getting any support from people I know.

I'am not just ONE vote, I am many!

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Timberfaller,

I'd like to see the shotgunners be brought into communion with the pistol and highpower folks. I'd like the biggest possible camp of gun owners, recognizing that a problem for one is a problem for all.

The NRA is the biggest tent I can find.

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

We built a dandy trap/skeet range at our club with the assistance of an NRA grant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.