1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not have different location for Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stumpi24, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Why when our contract is up at sparta could we not have the Grand American trap shoot at The Cardinal Center, then Las Vegas then back at sparta, and do a three year rotation,that would make our Ohio people happy and our western people happy and our mid-america people happy, sparta is a great place but what a undeveloped area, I was fortunate enough to be in a shoot off the last two years, done shooting by four and sat in the bar until nine until shootoff time, motel a hour away,this sucks.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Better yet, why not just let each state hold their own Grand on a rotating basis?

Every 50 years your state would be happy.......or not.

3. thebirdislost

thebirdislost TS Member

I think having a travelling Grand American is a great idea. There are so many beautiful facilities that could/would expand to house the Grand. If it rotated, then people from all over the country that may not be familiar with the event would stop in and see what it was all about.....hmmmm, maybe a way to increase our membership? I think so.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The reason is that you cannot possibly justify the expense (at Sparta in excess of 50 million) unless you can secure annual attendance for an extended period. Anything else makes no sense at all.

Another reason is that some places are better than others, and Sparta is the best so why go elsewhere?

Neil

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

and it still dwarfs on a 2 week stage anything else around.

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

2006 - Quite a site.....

FRedmon

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I certainly think it is a good idea, but I live in California, so Las Vegas is a 4 hr. drive. The mid-west has dominated the Grand American with their participation and shorter drives in RV's. It is expensive to fly out and bring your equipment or drive an RV for 3 days. Accommodations at Sparta "suck" unless you have an RV. Thus much of the Western part of the country is cut off. Sparta was a very selfish decision. Fred

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Great idea, Stumpi. No reason a big event can't rotate. The Super Bowl does. The All Star game does.

I can't believe they'd stick they'd stick the big event somewhere I can't get a hotel and see a horse race. I can't do guns all day and all night.

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Cardinal Center does not have enough traps (at one time with a nod and a wink there would have been) for the Grand. And Vegas is too far away from the ATA shooter base.

Too many deals made with the Sparta site. The ATA has made their last stand there win or lose. Let's hope it has a better result than the one Custer had.

Rock

Jim

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Selfish on whose part Fred?

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, Custer, another famous Ohioan.....

12. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Saw a bumper sticker on a pink Cadillac once driven by a Lakota--it said: Custer had it coming! Sparta win or lose! Poor decision in my book!

13. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Lets have a telephonic shoot like they do for the zones or maybe everybody could just shoot where ever they wanted and call in the scores its all computerized anyway. LOL

14. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Stumpi24- It seems to me an air-conditioned phone booth for you and all your friends, would have solved your problem.

15. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

My point again, the main base will travel to the grand where ever it is, lets help the people living in other areas make it to the grand. And no one will dispute the facilities at Sparta, but it dam sure stops there, if you are not camping you are very inconvenienced and again if you want to watch or are in a shoot off and not camping this place sucks. I am told the venders are going to be at one end and the shooters at the other.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I thought this had been beaten to death a couple times already on this site....the huge majority of shooters are in the east. Lots bitched when they had to drive a little further west to Sparta...and could care less about how far anybody else has to travel....I'd have a 3 day drive (from Alberta) and I'll probably never get there....fact O' life....

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Would someone please explain what good is a shooting facilty capable of handling a 4000 shooter event as was the case in Vandalia and in Sparta yet only has the infrastructure to handle less than 2000 as has been the case in Sparta???????

What is wrong with this picture?? I ask-- maybe someone can answer this?

There is no correct answer. Phil S.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Same old, same old.........stuff........

sparta.jpg

Got it now?

Hauxfan!

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How about having the Grand at a different local club every year. The size of the club would determine how long it took to run all of the entrants through. Some trap clubs could shoot every day of their year, and maybe around the clock. Eventually everyone would be served. Shooters could be given a date and time to show up ("Presquadding") and that way the local infrastructure could handle the influx. The vendors could set up on the grounds August 1 and stay all year selling like mad! Why didn't we think of this back in 2000?

Sorry, just getting "Grand Fever". ;-)

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Good idea- Rotate the Grand among the sites large enough to hold the Grand. At this time, that would mean Sparta every year. If some of the posters could convince their state to spend about 30 million to build a large gun club, then we would have another choice. I would love to see several gun clubs with more than 100 traps across the country. But now, we only have one.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.