1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not handicap first instead of singles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I just wondered if there was a reason why the Singles event preceeds the Handicap event at a single day shoot? I've seen Doubles at the beginning, middle, and end. Just curious.

ec90t

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised, especially at small shoots,if several of the elder shooters, myself included, shot Caps, maybe Dubs, and did not shoot so many Singles.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I would like all three events to be going on at the same time. That way you could shoot what you want at the time that is best for you. HMB

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I have shot doubles first and also last most of the time but never shot the handicaps first at all unless it ws a marathon for that day.

Really the only place I ahve shot doubles first has been in IL and I think that is a great ideal for a small club with a few traps because the people that want's to shoot doubles will get there earlier and the others that won't shoot them can come later and still leave the same time since it don't take long to shoot doubles.

Ok I know I got off from the handicap subject but the reason I would see to shoot handicap first is for the ones that have no intrest in the singles at all so if it was enough shooters that don't want to shoot 16's then I would switch it to first if I was running a club.

HMB I ahve been to a few shoots that you can shoot what you want at any time because they would have maybe 3 or traps total and have one trap set for each event and you would just sign up on a squad but of course you want to space it out so you wasn't shoot 2 traps at the same time.

Fog

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bet you would see a decline in singles

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Why John?? Typically there are more entries in the 16 than in Hdcp. At least in our area, not out West. Bob

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

At the Southern Zone telephonic shoot for the last couple of years, handicap was shot first on Friday. This made it easier to figure out the shoot offs necessary. The singles were carried over to Saturday.

Shooting handicap first does make the singles targets look larger.

I agree with Bob. At most one day shoots there are more entries in singles than in handicap. Shooting singles first saves some shooters some time.

Pat Ireland

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ec90t I am just curious but are you Trolling?

The reason I ask is on another thread you said "I ended this whole mess by not participating in anymore ATA shoots and not renewing my ATA membership" If I am correct that this is what you posted.

Why would it make any difference to you when the Handicap was shot if you aren't a member you can't participate anyway?

Bob Lawless

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If I am remembering correctly, the Hegins Trap Club in Pennsylvania used to (and maybe still does) shoot their handicap event first. I think they did that because handicap was always very popular at that club, partially because of an on-going jackpot they had tied to breaking 97 (25% of the pot), 98 (50%), 99 (75%) or 100 (100%). That jackpot got pretty large sometimes. Shooters also liked it because they could shoot Hegins' handicap and get to another area club in time for its handicap event.

Ed

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob and others,

The reasoning for this post is not one of trolling. It's true that I haven't shot registered targets for a couple of years now because of the archaic thinking of the ATA, but that's another story.

1) Handicap targets are harder to shoot for most. Why not shoot them first while a shooter is in a fresher state. If you want a warm up, then have doubles before the 'caps.

2) The temp is usually a little cooler in the am, so staying focused on the target would be easier.

I believe the reason why more people shoot singles than 'caps anyway is because they don't have all day to spend at the shoot. They just shoot there singles and leave. This is the same reason why people practice more at the 16 than they do handicap.

ec90t

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good question. I suppose you could reason that shooting singles first is a warm up for the handicap event. On the otherhand, the best shooting conditions usually occur in the morning. Maybe we will take a chance and mix the order up, might be interesting.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, I did receive the shell cutter and thought I sent an email of thanks for it. If I did not, I apologize and want you to know that I appreciate it and have even used it a few times ;).

Ed

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

bob alot of shooters I have talked to shoot singles to kill time before the handicap event.

14. alf174

alf174 Member

They arrive early to get a good choice of squads. Many clubs in SE MI shoot ATA doubles, singles, caps in that order. (ATA shooting is down, league shooting is gaining popularity).

15. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

On three event days it would make sense to shoot either doubles or singles first then the handicap. My thinking behind this is if there is a rain delay or larger attendance than normal, either singles or doubles can be shot as the last event in fading light much better than handicap can, specially for the long yardage shooters.

16. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

One advantage of shooting handicap first would be if a club would shoot the 3 events in succession instead of individually the squad would be good for all.

Then you could set a time for each squad to start and a person wouldn't have to spend 9 hours for 2 1/2 hours of fun.

Since today the number of shooters shooting doubles is about half the other events there would be some holes in the doubles squad which might be a negative for some.

17. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Doubles first is the best. Since only about 60% of the more serious shooters do shoot them, the rest of the people don't have to get up so damn early on a Sat. or Sun. morning, the only days most people get to sleep in!

18. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have shoot many times at the NSC in Texas and have shot singles. cap, then doubles on the first day and doubles. singles, then cap. The reason I have been told is that they can set the doubles and have the machines set over night for the next day it takes less time to reset for a single target. They say it takes more time to reset for doubles and it keeps the shoot flowing. This format is also used in LA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.