1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not electric ignition on trapguns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My son is into paintball. All the top guns have electric triggers with various adjustments for method of pulling and speed of fire etc. that are on chips or computer boards. Brings up the question: Why does no one makes an electric primer for shotshells and a gun with circuit boards instead of mechanical triggers. You could adjust for pull or release and distance of creep and drag and weight and all. Instant ignition when you pull the trigger unless you program in a delay. Why not? Jake

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you don't think shells and components are high enough, Google Reminton's electonic ignition system for their rifles. They did not go over at all.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I thought I heard Ljutic tried an electric trigger on their space gun? I seem to remember seeing just a "button" for a trigger.

Anyone else know?

Danny

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Here you are in the field or on a trap range in a big shoot off. You mount the gun get ready and CLICK. The batteries are DEAD. I would not want one because of the battery and the cold will kill a battery fast.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Danny- The Ljutic Space Gun does use a button as a trigger but the trigger system is completely manual.

Electronic triggers require "case-less ammunition". Several rifles have been introduced with this system for both civilian and military markets. So far, none have been widely accepted. The advantage of this system is that it allows individuals to carry more rounds with less weight.

If such a system were used at trap clubs, it would eliminate both reloading and empty hulls on the ground.

Pat Ireland

6. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Remington made the E-Tronix Varmint Rifle for a couple of years. IT used normal brass cases with special electronic primers and an electronic firing system and trigger. It seemed like a great idea, BUT, died within a couple of years. The poor shooters that bought that gun will have a useless collectors item when the E-Tronix primers dry up.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I could see a gun that had an electronic trigger control that activated a solenoid that dropped the hammer on the firing pin.

You could easily control any variable in that trigger control, such as creep, let off pressure or release pressure. A sort of fly by wire type of system.

It would eliminate the need for special primers. I don't think it would be much of an advantage but it could be simple enough.

As far as battery life that could easily be monitored by LED lights. Green for great, yellow for getting near the end and red for you better replace me.

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Rhouby in France made an electronic ignition shotgun for a few years in the 60s Last year I ran across one in a Paris flea market. It looked well made and was in new condition. Asking price was $600, which included 20 rounds of ammo, probably the only amo left anywhere. The big problem was the cost of ammo, since each shell had a tiny nichrome wire, hand fitted, where the primer would normally be.

9. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Electronic triggers do not neccesarily require caseless ammunition or electronic primers.

Hammerli and others have been building them for years on .22lr olympic type handguns and rifles, along with airguns.

Trigger pulls are weighed in grams.

I don't think I would want one in a shotgun.

Ric C.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Looking off in my crystal ball, if you start putting electronics in a gun, the anti's will jump on it and use it against the gun manufacturers to insist on more electronics (a.k.a. "smart guns.")

"If you can put electronics in the gun to make it fire the gun, you can put electronics in the gun to make it 'not' fire the gun," they will argue.

Not sure I like this path.

Plus...batteries are required. Dead battery = no bang. Probably not a big deal on the trap field, but not so great in a life or death situation.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ric C- Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to look up some information on the Hammerli system. I was not aware of the electronic trigger system.

Pat Ireland

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

For a target gun, I see no reason why an electronic solenoid with an inline striker wouldn't work? Fine tuned, it could have the fastest time to a conventional primer compared to spring locked sears. As Jerry944T says, it could be adjusted to suit the shootist whims, release, pull, ounces, pounds etc..

Course I wouldn't want to go bear huntin with one. :) Hap

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Please JUST KEEP THE ELECTRONICS out of it. I am a auto tech. The electronics in cars now is way over kill. To many modules, relays, control units ect ect. Drivetrain managment is one thing but needing a cpu for power seats? Please no electronics

14. m70win

m70win Member

My answer is "Jewel Triggers" in a rifle anyways.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.