1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not a tower to make shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have a littleton shotmaker and I'm soon going to get it going. I know you have to have a coolent of some sort and then wash the shot and so on. But why can't a person say get in a farm silo. Get everything up to a point and let the shot just fall to a cooling tank? This as most know was the old way to make shot. Why can't we combine the two?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not recall anyone saying that you cannot do that, it just seems like a lot of work but with a little effort, you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Old Way?

Post-2

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's the one and only way to make the best shot. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a good way to make shot but I have seen no evidence that is is better than other methods. West Coast shot is dropped from a tower and it is very good shot. Winchester, Remington, Lawrence and Federal shot is not made using a tower and it is good shot.

Pat Ireland

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Illegal aliens would be happy to have that job.

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,
    Shot dropped from a tower is very good, the other stuff is just good. Sounds like you agree that the tower stuff is better. HMB

8. johnpe

johnpe Member

FYI. Remington has a shot tower at their Lonoke, Arkansas plant.

Johnpe

9. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If memory serves, Federal use to buy their shot,or some of it out of Nevada West Coast. North West Shot is dropped in Medford Oregon.

Post-2

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Anyone know how high the tower would have to be for making size 7-1/2 and smaller? The towers in use now make some very large shot and need the extra hight for air cooling and shaping the molten lead as it falls. Maybe the farm silo would be ideal for smaller shot? Hap

11. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

I shot a tower once.

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

For those of you interested in our experiences with dropping shot, we learned the following....

650 degree #7.5 shot dropped 9 feet through 50 degree air into 110 degree water made lead spatters.

650 degree #7.5 shot dropped 13 feet through 50 degree air into 110 degree water made lead spatters.

650 degree #7.5 shot dropped 21 feet through 50 degree air into 110 degree water made nice round lead shot that hammers the crap out of targets.

725 dergee #7.5 shot dropped 21 feet through 50 degree air into 110 degree water made lead splatters.

We are looking for someone with an old barn where we can get at least a 30 foot drop. Doing it this way simplifies the whole process a bunch. No coolant to wash off. Just dry the shot, graphite/roll it and load it.

Jeff

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Shot towers are over 100ft. That would be a big silo. Shorter towers are used by the big companies but they know a few tricks. It doesn't take much technology to drop from a high tower. Do a websearch on shot towers, the history is pretty interesting.

14. incognito

incognito TS Member

If a person used an old farm silo for the shot tower, I would think the silage lift could be modified to get the lead to the top, asuming it is the paddle type and not an auger.

15. marotta

marotta Member

How do you get hot lead to the top of the silo?

16. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Just to contribute my $.02 worth, back in 1959 my dad was involved in building the first shot tower in Medford, OR. I hung around about as much as was allowed just because I thought the whole idea was interesting. That tower was 100 ft. high as I recall, but I don't know how high a tower North West Shot is using today. The first tower was of open construction (like an Erector set) but the shot dropped inside a metal tube about two feet in diameter to prevent any wind drift. As was mentioned above, the pellets dropped into a cooling water bath. The shot was then dried, graphited, and bagged up.

17. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Guess Ireland had never been to the Winchester or Remington plants since he told us they didn't drop their shot, but they do.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I guess Ireland was incorrect, I hope he learned something new.

Pat Ireland

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, you'll hafta have a lil heart to heart with him when he has time huh? :) Hap

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

What would a water mister do to the shot on the way down? Would it cool it enough to prevent spatter or deform it? Maybe just enough mist to cool it but not wet it. Just some thoughts....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

big tower remington plant lonoke

how much shot can a shot tower produce

how to build a lead shot tower

how to make a shot tower

method of making lead shot

tumbling lead shot

west coast shot drop tower