1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not 50-50-50 ATA programs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

It has been suggested here before, but why not shoot more 50 target ATA programs?

Less cost, less time, fewer shells, and still the shooting and commraderie.

Here in Idaho, it is often too hot/cold to shoot 100 comfortably.

I suspect this appeal is why more non-registered shoots are popping up.

Heck, some clubs won't even consider ATA targets for the above reasons.

Just dont know why we are so slow to change or try something in the face of shooting participation decline at the Registered target level.

Any thoughts?

2. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I'm first in line to vote for this.It would increase my participation in ATA many fold. It would reduce hanging around time waiting for the next event and make the sport far more enjoyable for me.

How do we get the ball rolling, or are we shovelling s--t against the tide ?

Ned

3. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

They do.. They are called "BIG 50s"

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

How do you "get the ball rolling?"

Easy, go to your local club and tell them you want the next shoot's program to be 50 singles, 50 handicap, and 50 doubles.

Then go out and make sure you get at least twice as many shooters as the club normally gets to attend the shoot.

5. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Good question, Ned. I don't know except get with the delegates, who frankly seem sometimes a little out of touch.

For those who want to shoot 300, could it be possible to have a double program option? Basically two tournements run at the same time. You declare for 50 or 100 at the outset.

Some club golf tournements run this way. Shoot 9 or 18. Declare first which one you are in.

For these shoots where the trophy is so much money back per entry, it wouldn't matter, nor for a lewis. Both could run.

It would be different, but that's the point.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Delegates don't have a damn thing to do with it.

There is nothing in the Rule Book that prohibits a 50-target event.

Just convince your local club to throw such a program.

And, then, like I said before, get twice as many people as normal to attend.

7. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

I think it is a great idea, and maybe awards for the HOA big dog of the day! Kirk

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

See where Silver Dollar in Florida runs registered shoots every day during the winter months.

I have never been to Silver Dollar and don't know anything about their program.

Is this what they are doing ?

Big 50 shoots every day ?

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I thought big 50 was only on specific days.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jim,

Big 50s are only allowed on certain days (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.)

But a 50-target event does not have to be a "Big 50" event.

There is nothing in the Rule Book preventing a club from throwing 50-target events on the weekend.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I don't know about a 50 target event, because Wally World sells shells by the 100 4-packs!!!. LOL. I'm for it, at least part of the year when the weather is to hot down here. Our club started to do this now for two years, with mixed results. There are some who like it, while others do not. Can't please everyone but it can't hurt to try it on a temp basis to see how your members like it/or not. break em all Jeff

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Good idea ... go to your club executive and offer to run the shoot. I'm sure someone will help you with the logistics and paperwork. Targets in the air equal cash in the bank, so I can't see clubs not want to at least try it.

Pick a date and contact your State Secretary. Advertise it well at the surrounding clubs. Make sure you have all of your help lined up. Good luck! Bill Malcolm

13. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Hammer1

The Dollar has a Big 50 on Thursday mornings.

You can shoot all three, singles, caps and doubles, or just shoot whichever of the three trips your trigger that day.

V10-I thought I read "somewhere" that the ATA was considering extending the days the Big 50 could be shot. Or, maybe considered it and kept it as it is.

Do you know?

Bob

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Bob,

I seem to recall that being mentioned, but I don't think it was ever acted on.

15. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

OK, V10, thanks.

Bob

16. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

BIG50 on the weekends.....

FRedmon

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think it may be a great idea. It does fly in the face of conventional wisdom, however. In the past 20 years most gun clubs have seen the targets thrown count diminish per shoot. So, they added targets to their programs to take up the slack. The trend remains today. Gun clubs have little else they can do but to throw more targets if they want to make a profit.

The 50/50/50 might attract the shooters that don't have the funds to shoot the 300 target days. It also may entice more newbies to shoot the doubles. They could also be intermediate stepping stones to the larger tournaments.

If I ran a gun club I'd certainly do it and I'd schedule them according to the seasons. In the midwest I'd have them in late March and early April. In the hot months in Florida and the Southwest I'd have them in the summer so folks wouldn't have to be outside in the sun too long.

Promotionally, I'm pretty sure it would be a win-win.

18. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

At the ATA Homegrounds in Alaska,every thursday night we have Big 50's.It is a lot of fun to keep on the ball more or less.I like them for sure, the problem I have is they start at 6 and it is a little tight to make it after work,every time thou shooters will wait for me to be there and shoot on a squad.

19. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I would love to shoot 50 target events, think this is a great idea!!

20. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

V-10, I don't mean ATA delegates, I mean the club delegates to the State Associations.

They could agree on a state level to put together a series of 50 bird shoots and get everyone headed that way for some shoots.

An individual club could do it, but if the state association would agree on a few shoots, with maybe series trophies as well as individual shoot trophies,
    well, it might be appealing to folks.

Just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.