1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not 32" O/U for skeet ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cynergystan, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Why not 32

Although I have only been shooting trap for about 15 months, I have given thought to trying skeet shooting. When I talk to skeet shooters, I am told not to shoot skeet with my 32" O/U. The reasons for not doing so vary from "the gun is too heavy" to "you can't swing it fast enough" to "don't even try it". Why not shoot with a 32" ?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Why not 32

I shot with a guy that is normally a 94 average skeet shooter and recently bought a 32 inch O/U and he is averaging more like 80. I have shot with a 30 inch auto and did well with it but I'm sure the weight and length make a difference. Personally I would simply try it and see how it works. I shoot better with a heavy gun, I don't know why, just that I do. Jackie B.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Why not 32

I've shot a few rounds with a 32" 12ga Caesar Guerini Sporting gun and found it to be very nice gun for skeet. The Guerini barely tips the scales at 7 lbs so weight is not a concern. The trade off is that the gun is a little lively with 1 1/8 oz loads.

ec90t

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Why not 32

It's not the barrel length that matters but I would use an open choke.

The best Skeet shooter I know and he shot for the army shoots 32" barrels for everything and by that I mean Skeet International skeet Trap Sporting and Hunting.

Joe

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Why not 32

Todd Bender shoots a 32 inch Krieghoff, enough said.

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Why not 32

Cynergystan,

I am anything but a skeet shooter, but our club league is 5 weeks of skeet and 5 weeks of trap so I am forced to shoot it in order to participate. I have a Browning Grade III Trap w/ 32" barrels. I bought a pair if skeet tubes and I have at it. I shot my first 25 Straight last week. A trap shooting buddy uses his Beretta Top-Single combo w/ the O/U barrels installed for his skeet gun.

Indian over arrow.

HBT

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Why not 32

If you have the gun, try it. Bench shoot the gun on paper at 13 yards to get a visual image of the POI, per Neil Winston. I now do this for ALL students, and EVERY gun I shoot, unless using a student's gun I may only shoot on one or two stations.

If the gun shoots very high and you have an adjustable comb, consider lowering it. If not, learn to float the target. New Skeet and Sportering guns often shoot a little high. Nothing wrong with it. You are less likely to lift your head with a high shooting gun.

If the gun seems sluggish on some stations, move your hold point out. Adjust your support hand on the forend toward the muzzle for power (less speed), closer to the frame for speed (less power). Find your spot where you have the leverage to move the gun in a comfortable manner.

Make sure you use open chokes, CYL or SK. Standard one ounce loads are more than enough.

If your gun is not sluggish on ATA Dubs, you will be okay on the Skeet field.

The only time this gun would bother you is if you are young and small, petite, old, or frail.

I am 62 and use a portly 32" gun for Skeet with good effect.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Why not 32

I just bought a Browning XS Special, High Rib, with 32" barrels, to use as a skeet gun. After using the pattern board, I took it to stations 1, 4, and 7, to see how it handled with straightaways, and long leads. It handled perfectly, and my first round was a 24, with the miss on station H3. I made the option and ran the rest.

I learned to shoot skeet in the mid-1970's, and you were pretty much considered a heretic if you used any barrel longer than 26". They just wouldn't swing through fast enough was the logic. In the last 32 years, that logic has changed. I now see lots of 28" and 30" barrels on skeet fields.

It all depends on the balance of the gun. If it's too front heavy, it won't make a good skeet gun. However, the XS, even with 32" barrels is very well balanced.

Mine also has an adjustable comb, so I raised it to get a higher POI, and it makes a good back-up trap gun. I tried a round of doubles, and it worked just fine. It's also a good 5-stand gun.

As an addition, Tron installed a 100 Straight recoil plate and a new Kick-Eez sporting recoil pad. As usual, he did an OUTSTANDING job, very reasonably priced, and swiftly. I wanted the Browning to fit my shoulder the same as my SKB, on which he also worked.

Just my observation and opinion. YMMV.

Best,
    Dennis

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Why not 32

The basic mantra for skeet shooting was no more than 26" for a great number of years and I'll wager this was based on the popularity of the pump guns and the easy swing of the shorter barrel - of course, the pump's 26" barrel more resembles a 30" O/U sighting plane and overall length. Once the O/U began to win the popularity contest, there was an increasing thought to go to 28" barrels. The 28" barrels hung on for quite a while and I watched skeet guns slowly becoming more trap-like with adj. combs, adj. barrels, high ribs, and then 30 and 32" barrels. I know one young buck that had Krieghoff build him a 34" K-80 and he's a master class sporting shooter and holds his own well at skeet socially....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. esetter

esetter Active Member

Why not 32

Many skeet shooters like to use sub-gauge tubes in their guns and with 32" barrels they start to get very heavy when the tubes are installed. If you are just shooting 12 gauge you will do fine with the 32" and if you a large guy you probably won't have any problems even with tubes installed. I like 30" barrels.

11. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Why not 32

I shoot a 32" Rizzini (Sig Arms)I shoot skeet better with it then any other gun I have.

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Why not 32

If you can swing it for trap you can swing it for skeet or sporting gays ... dont believe everything everybody tells you, not even all that you hear or read on TS.com should be believed.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why not 32

People try to use what top shooters use

My thought is that 99 percent of the shooters that shoot 30 inch barrels or 32 inch would do better with 28 inch- Plain and simple

If you are in the 1 percent that does everything right- than shoot a longer barrel

My other thought though is- if you have that gun- dont buy another- unless you get serious and it doesnt work for you--- you have it- shoot it for everything

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Why not 32

I started shooting skeet in 1956 and the only thing to use then was short barrels with the most open choke possible. A couple months ago I bought a 32 inch sporting clays O/U and used it for skeet when I sent my Superposed in for a rebuild. I love the new gun and right now I prefer it to my Browning. Get the gun that feels good to you.

15. winselect

winselect TS Member

Why not 32

I have a 682 gold x combo the O/U barrels are 32" high rib I was using it for sporting clays and thought I needed a 28" sporting gun so I bought one, and I shot it awfull, its way to light. I shot the 32" trap alot better. Im just wondering if some 32" sporting barrels would be better, I just dont know about using them with a mono stock.
    Kevin

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Why not 32

And the winner is!

Any barrel you can shoot comfortably.

Joe

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Why not 32

I have shot all lengths.. I agree with Joe.

18. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Why not 32

I just shot my Beretta 682X with 30 3/4 sporting barrels tubed by Kolar at the IL State Championship. Shot great and am really happy with the longer barrels.

My buddy in San Antonio who is the coach for Trinity just went to 32" barrels on his K-80 and is tearing up the targets and wishes he had went longer sooner.

Ronbo

19. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Why not 32

The 32" barrels should not be a problem; handling the higher patterns usually thrown by high-ribbed/stocked trap guns can be a problem. I have shot my trap XT with skeet chokes and done reasonably well, but shot over some targets. Takes a little getting used to, but if your trap gun shoots flat, you are in business. Best Regards, Ed

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Why not 32

I went to a 32" 425 from a 26" Weatherby. I had to get used to it for a few rounds, but it is not whippy like the 26" was sometimes and its easier to follow through. It really helped my skeet shooting a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.