1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no walk-on class in the ATA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

This is a serious question that someone out there may be able to answer. The NSCA has a "Hunter" class that allows new shooters to take part in a registered event without all of the sanctioning fee's associated with it. They shoot only against other hunter class shooters, but are allowed to play the lewis.

I would think that the ATA could offer something like this to help attract new shooters. If they decided to join the ATA after a few shoots, they could have a good record for classification. Just a thought looking for a little input.

ec90t

2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

As low as the ATA dues are, if a shooter can't afford those, he probably can't afford to shoot registered trap anyway.

Jim

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I may have to be corrected, but I think except for charity type shoots the Hunter in sporting is only shooting Lewis Class against other Hunter type shooters (when offered). NSCA shooters have separate monies and prizes.

Also, a NSCA shoot does not have to offer the so called Hunters Class for non-NSCA members. It's up to the host club.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Walk on class???

You've got to be kidding.

Why not just name it the "Sandbagger's Walk On Class" and be done with it.

Walk on class, indeed.

Hauxfan!

5. acre44

acre44 Member

We already have a "hunter" class in ATA lingo it is called the D Class. If you cannot afford the $20 for a one year membership to the ATA then you should not be shooting. The "hunter" class would not work. If you want to shoot in an ATA event then pay the $20 like everyone else to join and pay the entry fee and the $4. If you play any options that is up to you. You must shoot the penalty until you get enough registered targets to establish an average. It is called "target management" and you should be a D Class shooter.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Now, now...EC's just looking for some input.

Rather than a hunter class...I'd rather see us allow newbies to walk up and shoot targets only. No day fees, not registered, not in the running for any prizes or option money - in fact, they can't even play the money on any level.

I think the tenor of the original suggestion is a way to increase our numbers in the hope that the 'hunter' may decide he wants to shoot full blown registered.

Letting a guy shoot 'targets only' is another way to get him out there. Assuming he has a good time, finds out we're OK, maybe has a beer with a couple of guys on a tailgate after the event - hey, he might just decide to come back.

Maybe some clubs do this already....we do, on the big 50s. A guy doesn't have to register the targets, he can just shoot. He pays the committee for the targets and we pay the club.

One thing it does do for us is increase the apparent number of targets we're shooting in the club's eyes - keeps our volume up.

jeff

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Now, now...EC's just looking for some input.

Rather than a hunter class...I'd rather see us allow newbies to walk up and shoot targets only. No day fees, not registered, not in the running for any prizes or option money - in fact, they can't even play the money on any level.

I think the tenor of the original suggestion is a way to increase our numbers in the hope that the 'hunter' may decide he wants to shoot full blown registered.

Letting a guy shoot 'targets only' is another way to get him out there. Assuming he has a good time, finds out we're OK, maybe has a beer with a couple of guys on a tailgate after the event - hey, he might just decide to come back.

Maybe some clubs do this already....we do, on the big 50s. A guy doesn't have to register the targets, he can just shoot. He pays the committee for the targets and we pay the club.

One thing it does do for us is increase the apparent number of targets we're shooting in the club's eyes - keeps our volume up.

jeff

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

In my eyes what needs to be done. 1. Have a clear posted area for 1st time shooters at events especially big events. 2. Have what i would say A 1st time ATA shooter lewis seperate from the normal events, of corse they will have the option to play all options. I do agree they must join to shoot. Haveing them join will give them the incentive to go to another event. I do not think you will be tracking all these let me try shooters who will just come to try their luck at the options. Maybe there should be a open class where anyone can enter for a fee lets say 75.00per shooter open to all who want to play. This class can not be part of any other options or lewis or 25s 50s ect ect. Make it a do or die winner takes all sudden death shoot off ? If you really want to atract members ATA both national and state need to get out and push for more and members need to tell their friends. I found ATA by accident. No mention of it at club ect ect. Was just searching web sites after shooting a few rounds at club been hooked since.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There already is a "walk-on class." Most clubs call it practice. You want to shoot non-registered targets just to see what it's like? Shoot practice. You want the thrill of competing for a prize? Bet your buddy a buck a bird or your favorite beverage.

An ATA shoot is a competition. You want to compete against ATA members at an ATA event? Pay the price of admission. You don't want to do that? Then just shoot practice.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe new shooters to the game should have to serve a probationary period instead of being lumped in with A thru D class. We lose 8 of 10 anyway, or more? Time to attempt growing the sport instead of thumping everyone that comes down the pike? Hap

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well I see that most of you see the merit in my post. The more involvement that there is in the shooting sports the better off we'll be.

As it has been posted several times, practice is practice and a tournament is entirely different. Most shooters mind set changes when they are shooting in a tournament.

I shoot for the pure enjoyment of shooting. Whether it be games, sporting, or skeet (I hate to say it, but I'm really starting to like skeet shooting). My only registered targets for the last couple of years has come from shooting sporting clays, but I see the need for change to help bolster the ranks for all of the disciplines.

I would love to hear from Neil or any of the other powers to be about this idea.

ec90t

12. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Personally, I think it's a good idea. ATA membership is going down, right? The ATA should try some new things to try to boost membership. I think a lot of guys (and girls) are intimidated to go to a registered shoot. If there was some sort of walk-in class, where they're shooting against people like themselves, they might come, give it a try, and see you don't have to run 100 or win to have fun at an ATA shoot. It would be better than someone new coming to shoot an ATA shoot and throwing them in A or whatever penalty class the club decides to put them in. Hauxfan said there might be some sandbagging, and I agree, but will it really bring the shooters that would come to cheat someone new out of a trophy? There will probably be some incidents, but I doubt very many, especially if you don't let them play the money. Wouldn't it have hurt the NSCA by now if it was really that bad? One of the better ideas I've heard on here...

13. purina

purina TS Member

I think we should go the other way. Too many clowns joining the ATA for a year and then deciding it is "not for them". Do you think the current annual membership fee covers the cost the ATA incurs with a new membership? Not likely.

Used to be you had to have your membership application signed by 3 life members. Bring that rule back to weed out all the "wannabees". We are looking for real members here. Not a bunch of "try it free to see if I like it types". Anyone that has been around a gunclub while can tell on the first meeeting if the new guy is going to stick, or will be back to beer and softball next month!

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

What I have heard the most from interested shooters is

"I have nothing to base were I should be in an ATA registered event!
    There is no way I should Have to shoot against competitors with many thousends of rounds shot in competion".

So why not for the first target year, or when the new shooter says alright I am in, create

An AVERAGE BUILDING CLASS, just shooting for average, not trophies, or money?

Is a new shooter being able to get 1000 singles, 1000 handcap, and 500 doubles, If they don't say hay this great I want to do the whole thing first? going do upset the apple cart? But if we had this class at 1000 (500DBLS)registered targets, they are classed IN THAT EVENT and start paying full fees

Lets take the intimation factor away, so that when some one looking on that seems interested, we can say try it see how you stack up, and you can set an average in a way that if you are going to end up in D class you can get there with out worrying about being and automatic B or A class.

Al

I can see why at some events, Satalite Grands State shoots and some other events that this could be a problem, but most events it would not even register a ripple on the fish pond!

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

(Quote) "Hauxfan: Your comments are singular and definitive! To pursue this nonsence is flogging a very sick horse. Earl Hamman ("Unquote")

Earl, I'm glad you understand.

As long as you like to pick nits, you might want to use a spell checker, as you spelled "nonsense" wrong.

Hauxfan!

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have supported, for several years, a rule change that would allow a non ATA member to shoot in one or two ATA registered shoots to see if they enjoy registered shooting. I would assume that if allowed, these shooters would not be eligible for money or trophies. The clubs might gain some income and the ATA might gain some members. Policing th limitation of 1 or 2 shoots for non ATA members would be difficult, but we now rely on shooter integrity to police other rules and I think this could be extended to this possible rule change.

Pat Ireland

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Getting 3 life members to sign you in? That was the down fall to a lot of the gun clubs in our area, didnt know some one, to bad. also been the down fall of many member based golf courses in my area. Just need to be felt welcome and a part of it. My first ATA was at holbrook gun club, small by some standards but great guys/ladies running the show. They have 2 very young score keepers that have done a great job score keeping.

18. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

I was member of Sporting Clays association took 3 years for me to get into a class that was my average I shot class A for 3 years till my average was established ! They dont give anything away . Also sporting Clays and Sheet shoots are way down ! Along with new shooter getting interested ,

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nope...all new shooter's should be placed in Class A...until they establish a record which should be 2 years!

It's called competiton shooting! If you want to talk and play with your friends, then do so on a skeet and/or sporting clays range.

Curt - Delaware

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- I disagree with your position. Last week I classified at a medium sized shoot (20 squads) that did not have a penalty classification. I put several new shooters in class B.

At a smaller shoot (2-5 squads) I often simply ask a new shooter what scores he has been shooting in practice and use this to help me classify the shooter. I have found that they have given me honest answers.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.