1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no thumbhole BT-100's?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Why no thumbhole BT-100

I have recently come across a BT-100 with a factory thumbhole stock for sale and I was consideriong purchasing it. The gun fits and feels great to me, but I was hesitant to buy it for a couple reasons. The first being is the price too high. I have only seen 2 of these guns ever and both were for sale at around $1600 one being in excellent shape 95-100%, and the other being in moderate condition 80-90%. The second questions being why dont i see alot of these guns? Is there a flaw in there design or is there some mechanical problem with these guns? Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks BYG

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

IMHO there is nothing wrong with these guns. I have had two thumbhole stocks for the BT100. One was factory the other was custom with an adj. comb. I think the BT100, either the gloss blue model or the SS model are great and versatile guns. Some people complain that the thumbhole bruises their thumb, but I didn't have that problem. I think the biggest problem is that everyone else loves to complain about a non-traditional approach. I have also owned a thumbhole superposed and a thumbhole 390. If it fits you and you shoot it well...go for it.

JON

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Browning strongly opposed making the thumbhole stock's comb adjustable for "safety reasons." Because very few production trap guns shoot where the shooter is looking, adjustable combs are very common and potential buyers were afraid to buy one. At least that's what I was told by two Browning dealers back when the thumbhole guns were languishing on their shelves while BT-100s with conventional stocks were selling fairly well.

In spite of Browning's warning, I've seen numerous BT-100 thumbholes with adjustable combs being shot years after the comb was cut and they were still in one piece. It does look like there isn't a lot of wood in the top of the stock's wrist after the comb is cut, but I've never heard of one that was cut breaking.

I'd still like to know why Browning had a closeout fire sale on the BT-100 so soon after it came out. Every shooter I know who bought one is still shooting it and much prefers it to the current BT-99.

Ed

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had one that I shot for years...no adjustable comb, shot great, had a higher average when I shot it than I do now....it shot where I was looking...don't know why, but I had to upgrade my trap gun.

tony

5. B V

B V TS Member

I have one I have been shooting for several years.

It breaks birds when I do my part.

I have since bought thumbhole stocks for a Model 12 and for an 870.

I still prefer the BT100.

BV

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I like Bt100's a very overlooked trap gun imo. But thumb buster I mean thumb hole stocks you either love em or hate em. I'm ok on a rifle with the right design but no way on a trap gun. Most are like me I think.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Don't know about the thumbhole stock, but I have one with the adj comb and it's a great gun. As BV said, long as I focus, it crushes 'em.

8. shootsome

shootsome Member

Ed,

I agree. The BT100, with the drop-out trigger, is a great Trap gun. Best decision I ever made was NOT to sell mine a few years back. I've shot some of my best scores with the BT100. My guess is Browning probably quit making them because of cost issues involving the drop-out trigger. It always comes down to $'s.

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For those of you who have average size hands the thumb hole stock is fine. For us "ham handed" folks they really hurt. I got one in trade not long after they came out and thought it looked cool so I took it to the range to shoot ... 5 shots was all my right hand could stand. My thumb was jammed in the hole and it really hurt the top of the thumb joint.

Browning's poor marketing and lack of enthusiasm did more to hurt the '100 than anything else. The drop out triggers proved to be more difficult to build than originally thought so the gun's profit margin dwindled. The bean counters killed it. There was a price threshold that they could (or would) not cross and profitability is the corporate by-word.

Nice gun if you can shoot it though.

Bob Schultz

Melvin Shearer thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 100 stainless for sale

browning bt-100 stock

browning bt100 stocks for sale

browning laminated thumbhole problems

bt 100 thumbhole