1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why no rugers at the trap range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coho, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

i've never seen anyone shoot a Ruger shotgun for trap or skeet and was wondering why so few people shoot them.

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Years ago I had a Red Lable that I shot for skeet and it kicked the snot out of me no matter what I did so it went down the road.

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I have seen two different people shooting Ruger single barrel trap guns in the last couple of years. I believe they even have a "rifled" barrel that is straight grooves to keep the wad straight going down the barrels....

Anyone know anything else about them? Not going to trade my perazzis for one but just curious about the rifled barrels.

Mr. Mark

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shot a Red Label on one round of trap and it loosened every filling in my head and several of my crowns.

If you have one.......use it for a tomato stake. That's what it's best suited for. LOL

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i wud third that- ruger really hasnt kept up the pace on target shooting- most rugers are bot on looks- lite weight-and med px vs other o/u's

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

The Ruger Trap Model Single Barrel, I think is no longer in production, in fact it had such a short life, very few people new of it. It had an adjustable rib, comb and choke tubes. At the risk of offending anyone, I reminds me of a K-80. It was a very attractive gun.

7. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

there trap model was a very nice looking gun people say they were soft shooters why they make so few? a guy on witrapshooters.com has one for sale

8. Rick Barker

If you want to see what the Ruger Trap Gun looked like, go this site:
    www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/32.pdf

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

The Ruger single barrels aren't very common. It's estimated that they only made 300 and only 100 of those weren't grabbed up by employees or given as gifts. They do have a straight rifled barrel, supposedly to keep the wad from spinning to reduce flyers. Don't want to get that started again, I think the last thread on whether wads spin or not hit a 4 digit post count.

They had some very nice features. The link above is to the owner's manual. Adjustable rib, adjustable comb, stock adjustable for LOP and cant, adjustable trigger, and stainless barrel. Mine stays in the box these days, but I never noticed any more recoil than my other guns. I've never shot a Red Label, so I can't comment on them.

10. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi There,
    One "drawback" on Rugers, is the automatic safety. I don't know HOW MANY targets I've seen wasted on the skeet field when one of these guns is shot b/c of that daggone automatic safety. Yes, it's good idea for a safety, but when most clay shooters close that gun up, they want it to be ready for business. And, they are made light, whick increases recoil.
    -powderburn

11. Rick Barker

jhoward

Do you recall the price on these Rugers and just for talking purposes, if yours was for sale, how much would it be?

12. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I had a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays 30" ten years ago. It was light and uncomfortable to shoot (it kicked). After a couple hundred rounds it broke. The top barrel would fire with the selector set on the bottom barrel. I sent it in and Ruger fixed it. I sold it shortly after I got it back from Ruger. I now have a Citori XT for doubles.

Joe

13. jhoward

jhoward Member

Powderburn, the single barrel trap does not have a safety at all, so they took care of that.

Rick, I've seen very few for sale. Usually in $3000+- range. The link above is the only auction I could find for one, doesn't look like it includes the box or paperwork. I haven't seriously considered selling mine, I'd have to think about it before giving a price. Given the limited number made, I would think they would have some collector's value.

14. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

here you go.(115 lbs.) with one, shes been shooting it for about 4 yrs, since she started.it doesnt bother her at all, kick wise.(pic was taken after shot)
    [​IMG]

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gun doesn't look like it fits her. Look at the "canting". She'll probably keep her teeth until she's at least 25 with that gun. LOL

More power to her if she can take that punishment.....

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The Ruger O/U's look good, I even know a few people that shoot then a lot and well. Even they say it is an aquired taste, and may not be for everyone.

For me when working on the action I really don't like the to tight openings that I have had to use a hammer to pound parts out through when detail stripping the action. But some people say "OH thats the way it should be!"

When I look at some of the things Ruger does to finish the Red Label out, while it almost looks good, it also looks like a because shotgun (because we think we should make a shotgun), and not the ONE, to really get into and try own the market with.

My .02cents

Al Lingham

The shotgun I have felt that Ruger Should make, and make to the point of complete parts interchangeabliy is the Model 12, done right it should grab a piece of the market, and not let go!

17. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

it has a gracoil on it as well as the foam on the comb. she was shooting AA super handicaps and nitros last night from mid yardage and hitting at a derby. registered she only shoots 16's. she shoots the top barrel to counter for her canting a little bit, it doesnt help it all the way, but she shoots good scores all the time.

18. Rick Barker

jhoward,

Thanks, just curious that's all. I think the Ruger was promising, but I am sure they had their marketing reasons not to keep it up. As you know we trapshooters are a finicky bunch, which may have had some reason for Ruger not keeping it. Some manufactuers of products for whatever reasons, choose not to enter certain markets. Production expense vs. market share, may have been a prime reason.

19. RugerLover1

RugerLover1 TS Member

I will be shooting this week end in Montpelier Vermont at a registered shoot. I shoot a Ruger Trap Model for singles and caps. I shot a Red Label for doubles. I don't notice any bad kick.
    As far as the automatic safety on the Red Labels, you can have them disconnected. My Trap Model of course doesn't have a safety but I have three Red Labels, 12, 20, 28 and I have had the safetys modified on all of them. The safety still works, it just that you have to manualy set it on.
    I have shot many 25s a bunch of 50s and some 75s. Unfortunately I have never shot 100. Like lot of others I have shot 99s. I will keep trying.

George

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I think the main reason Rugers aren't popular with the trap crowd is that they don't cost enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.