1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no leagues in some areas?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

After 19 trips to AZ, and shooting in a few other areas, I recall discussing this with my AZ pal.

Why no organized league shooting in some places, and furious activity in others?

I speak of team vs team, head to head, all on the same night man against man competition.

I don't count the fun things where you put your score in the envelope tacked to the board, shoot ahead or behind as much as you want, or declare "this is my league round", etc.

90 % of my trophy case/wall is loaded with memories of shooting pals who have passed on, moved away, or (gasp!) found other friends to shoot with.

I feel sorry for anyone who missed that.

This seems to be an area phenonmenon. Just wondering.

HM

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

HM- I would hope for some good suggestions on this question. League shooting is not popular in my area and I would like to change that.

The last time we tried a league, the teams got way out of balance, many shooters dropped out and things just did not work well.

Pat Ireland

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I also would like input from fellow shooters about a league setup. We have a club made up of shooters that have a varied interest in the shooting sports; i.e. Cowboy Action, handgun competition, rifle shooting, skeet and trap. The shooters for trap and skeet are about even in numbers; but not a large group compared to the other disciplines. I would like to set up a league that would incorporate the trap and the skeet shooters. This would allow a greater number to participate and hopefully get some of the skeet shooters to try their hand at trap and the trap shoters to try skeet. But that is just a thought. As we have only 30 avid trap shooters, (an estimate), the league would probably not be made up of teams; but individuals, shooting say 50 targets per week. I would somehow have to have at least 3 or 4 classifications due to the varied skill levels. Any ideas? Ed

4. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

halfmile - your mention of Arizona - I hope is an example of an area that has league activities.

The Tucson Trap and Skeet Club is just finishing their 12 week Spring league this week. We had 21 trap teams and 5 5-Stand teams shooting on Tuesday nights, and 18 Skeet teams shooting on Thursday nights.

All shooting must be done in the evening. We have nine fields under very good lights.

Shooting and Bull-shooting with a beer afterward is a great break during the work week.

One point that took me a while to understand, is that the leagues are not geared to the registered shooter, but is a shooter with completly different focus. A 50 target night of singles seems to be just right for these shooters and lots of wives.

Doug Sims

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doug, I spoke of Phoenix. My good friend was a transplant from Wisconsin. He served on the board at Litchfield, and tried to get organized leagues there, never got any support.

I am glad to know you have it going. For your population, you're a little light but keep up the good work.

We have, in the Green Bay area, 4 clubs, and a total of at least 120 teams shooting on them in at least 7 or 8 leagues that I know of. One of them is a skeet league, 50 targets w/bird handicap.

The Oshkosh-Berlin-Wautoma are is a hotbed of league activity too, but I don't have particulars.

Wisconsin seems to have an abundance of the league activity.

This is the feeder system for the registered game, but a lot of league shooters will never do more than just that. I don't think that matters, It is just important to throw targets.

I will be happy to try and help anyone with suggestions/info to advance the league cause.

I am also interested to know which other areas of the country have good organized leagues, and what type of systems they use.

I did see some pretty impressive photos at Middletown, Ohio, and got to see the Dayton Industrial League In action at wright- Patterson AFB.

Information seekers, If you email me I will respond.

HM

6. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Here, in Seattle, we dont have much in the way of league shooting. Which is kinda sad since you can pretty much shoot year-round. Doesn't get blisteringly hot or numbingly cold very often. Just need good rain gear. :)

Most I've seen at our club is club vs. club 1-shot Continental league. And that is only between 2 clubs.

I've found that the big shooters in this state only show up if there is money to be had.

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

halfmile: I talked to some of the board members of the Berlin Conservation Club. (Wisconsin) On their Thursday night league they run through 85 teams!! Unreal. Ed

8. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I am a Wisconsin transplant living in KY. I was surprised that there is no league activity here. I had been shooting leagues at the Hartford, WI club for many years. They run 4 nights of leagues, I believe 36 teams per night with waiting lists. But, their league activity does not result in ATA shooters from that club except for a handful. Nubs Wagner.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

We only have a in house league. summer league is 24 shooters. We run three classes bronze silver gold. 20 bucks a shooter, gets us trophies and a meal. We did have one club to club shoot off. went well. They are suppose to host next year. Here we run 16 weeks shoot 3 times a week. The highest 2 score per week are scored for league. Its fun Ive had a good run so far won bronze summer 06 won silver winter 06 now in gold for summer 07 currently tied for 2nd. We do have a top gun which anyone could win regardless of class. Running it is another chalenge....keeping tracking posting scores. God bless our trap leader!!!! I would love to have a club to club on regular basis.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I went to Texas from Md expecting it to be league shooting heaven...exactly the opposite happened...no matter,..I'm on my way back to my homegrounds and couldn't be happier

11. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

Pat, When we started our trap league we had addressed the problem of unbalanced teams by taking the number of teams we could muster and assigning a captain. Then we listed all other shooters by known ability and assigned them by going down the list like so.
    Team A B C D E
    shooter 1 2 3 4 5
    10 9 8 7 6
    11 12 13 14 15
    and so on,
    this balanced out the teams, we shot each league for only 2 months and then broke it up and did it again. We shot 50 targets a night 25-16s and then 25 handicap, yardage for handicap was determined by dividing the individual teams 16 yard score by the number of shooter who shot that night, with no less than 20 yards min. Top 3 scores on a team were added together that night and posted against the other teams.

Seems complicated but it does several things. We had a large amount of new shooters that ended up bieng able to shoot with experienced shooters and not feel intimidated trying to shoot against them. It was very hard to have a heavly favored team. It stoped clicks from forming. If you had a shooter "no show" it didnt affect the teams ability to win that night unless three of the five shooters didnt show. There were no make-up rounds.

We also awarded points points for 1st 2nd and 3rd each week and then totaled the points at the end of the league to determine winners and prize money. It could also be done by total score. Last place team was awarded $1 each man and the team captian of the last place team was called up first for the honor of accepting the 5 $1 dollar bills for his team.

This was a great way for us to constantly get new shooters into the leagues and get them past their reluctance to shoot, afraid they would embarrass themselves. Then if they wanted they could form a team to compete in other leagues.

Mike

12. DJSims

DJSims Member

See the Tucson club website (link above) with the scorekeeping and handicapping spreadsheet.

A, B, C, D team classes and A thru E individual classes get shooters to compete with other similar ability shooters!

Doug Sims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.