1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no falling block trap guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Anyone know why we do not see modern falling block trap guns?

I loved the way my Ruger No. 1 .270 balanced, and I would guess that a falling block would give designers a lot of room to balance a trap gun.

Lou

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You may be right, but I would also venture a guess that some trapshooters don't care if there trap gun is well balanced or not.

Some shooters like a butt heavy gun that swings fast, and others may like a barrel heavy gun for added follow through.

To each his own.

Hauxfan!

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A falling block singles gun would be acceptable if the lever and ejector could be activated by a button on the top tang rather than the manual throw of the lever. I can't imagine what a pain it would be to work the lever as well as getting a new shell out of my pouch.

4. Bushmaster1313

Eightbore:

I do not understand. It takes two hands to open a break open shotgun.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Ruger #1 makes an elegant center fire rifle. Trap gun?

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Bushmaster, if you want to catch your empties, it takes three hands with the falling block, only two with other guns. I only have two hands.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

eightbore- We can add on ribs, add on higher combs, why can't you just add on a third hand? This would allow you to comfortably shoot a falling block shotgun.

Pat Ireland

8. Bushmaster1313

Eightbore:

You are right if it had an ejector, in which case you would have to grow another hand or catch it with your teeth.

Shooting left handed I do not like ejectors even in lever operated top break guns.

With an extractor, however, a falling block would still only take two hands.

I believe the Ruger No. 1 can be adjusted for ejector or extractor.

Lou

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I did see one on here a guy had posted just last week from England. Do the search type in BSA and view the entire thread.

Jerry

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Get a Martini falling block 12 ga. shotgun and shoot trap with it. That would make it your falling block trap gun.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is the Martini a falling block or a rolling block?

Pat Ireland

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Although it might seem like a decent idea at first you have to think about all the factors. Slim short receiver is nice but you will have a fairly long throw on the lever, shotgun hulls are long, lock time would probably not match what we have in modern designs, and as someone else said manipulation might be a little daunting but with a pith helmet a cross the chest leather belt and pouch and of course a prominent mustache.

13. Bushmaster1313

Looking at a picture of a Martini-Greener made for the Egyption police, I see that the barrel is high.

Perhaps the falling block is disfavored because the falling block requires a relative high barrel that would lead to unpleasant muzzle flip?

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

This is the Greener GP Mk 3, for Prison/Police use, and is that hybrid Greener 12/14ga caliber; 12ga chamber and convertible to a trap gun.

If somebody wants it, PM me, and I'll direct you to the seller.

Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey all,
    My brother Mikre has had a Martini made into a trapgun. He had it sent off to get the barrel choked, a simmons rib put on, and he made a fore-end and fashioned a stock for it. Pretty nice looking gun after said and done. Shoots it very well, too. It was a prison-riot style gun from the early 1900's. Chamber is very tight, as I recall, and the cheap steel wal-mart shells tend to get stuck b/c of the tight chamber and the rim on those shells is not sharp causing the extractor to slip when the action is opened up. Very simple design inside the receiver, easy to disassemble and clean. Any interested parties can call Mike to talk about his experience with this gun. His work phone is 765.948.5812

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite falling block is the Winchester 1885. Have several of them, plus the modern Browning clones.<br>
    <br>
    Intended to turn one into a trap gun, but the largest gauge it will handle is 20ga. Doesn't bother me, my scores are the same between 12 and 20 ga. But, haven't found a gunsmith who could put a shotgun barrel and a rib on it. Moot point now, as I've got too many other projects, and will likely do something else with this action.

17. aussiebob

aussiebob TS Member

See my thread on my new shotgun.

It is W.W. Greener Trap Gun based on the martini action.

Yes it a bit of pain with extracting some shells.

I usually let the spent shell fall to the ground and pick them up afer.

Still looking for options for changing the stock on this gun as the current one is too short for me.

It is a full choke 30" barrel and smokes clays at any distance (16yds to 27yds).

18. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

AJ, that would probably be P.D Parker, the Mgr. of the Old San Antonio Gun Club. I've put a pad or two on it for him over the years. He shot it very well.

Ken Rucker

19. vatrap

vatrap Member

[​IMG]

Here's mine. 34" Remington barrel with an 870 straight trap stock and modified 1100 forearm. Shoots well, I had the trigger cleaned up and added about 8oz of weight to the receiver.

Mike

20. aussiebob

aussiebob TS Member

Mike
    What was involved in getting the 870 stock adapted to the gun.
    Do you know of a good source for the same stock you used.
    I am looking at putting a new stock on mine, and a custom stock is looking to be very expensive.
    Thanks
    Bob Gehrig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.