1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no California Sales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Why do you see so many guns for sale that say no sales to Calofornia,I sold a gun to a Gent in California a while back he sent the check and included an envelope with the info needed by the FFL in California to put in the box when I shipped it and I sent it from my home and it went off without a hitch.We are both happy with the transaction went as smooth as any I have ever done and I don't see what the big deal is am I missing something? Jerry

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Jerry, most FLL holders in California will only accept firearms purchased out of State from another FFL holder. Also, the Ca. DOJ requires that senders obtain an authorization number from them for shipment to the state. These are really minor inconveniences that any reasonable and honest seller should not let deter the sale.

Robert

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have to get permission from Ahnold to send a gun to a licensed dealer?

That sticks in my craw. Sorry, CA guys.

HM

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You mean Jerry Brown. We no longer have the Govenator in office.

5. claykiller

claykiller Member

Jerry:

You are correct, it is that easy to buy and sell guns in and out of California (and within). Robert has the procedure just about summed up. The FFL holder I use makes 5-7 transactions a day so I consider him a subject matter expert. He states basically besides certain guns not allowed (which can be looked up on the DOJ web site), the authorization number is the only additional hurdle to be complied with.

The biggest problem encountered occurs in the way the laws are written. Mostly written in attorney "speak", many people (including most out-of-state FFL holders) find the laws to difficult interpret and just throw their hands up saying "forget it, no sales to California." That is exactly what the DOJ and the California politicians want to happen. The FFL holder I use knows the laws in, out, backwards, and sideways. He also states if the would be buyers and sellers would just take a little time to ask questions or do a little research these issues would not be a problem. The transactions I have completed ended without as much as a hiccup. Remember the only enemies of guns are rust and politicians, don't let the bastards win.

Matt

6. claykiller

claykiller Member

Jerry:

You are correct, it is that easy to buy and sell guns in and out of California (and within). Robert has the procedure just about summed up. The FFL holder I use makes 5-7 transactions a day so I consider him a subject matter expert. He states basically besides certain guns not allowed (which can be looked up on the DOJ web site), the authorization number is the only additional hurdle to be complied with.

The biggest problem encountered occurs in the way the laws are written. Mostly written in attorney "speak", many people (including most out-of-state FFL holders) find the laws to difficult interpret and just throw their hands up saying "forget it, no sales to California." That is exactly what the DOJ and the California politicians want to happen. The FFL holder I use knows the laws in, out, backwards, and sideways. He also states if the would be buyers and sellers would just take a little time to ask questions or do a little research these issues would not be a problem. The transactions I have completed ended without as much as a hiccup. Remember the only enemies of guns are rust and politicians, don't let the bastards win.

Matt

7. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

Well, Halfmile, it sticks in our craws too. However, I've bought enough firearms from out of state to know it takes about 5 minuted to complete the extra step. For some idiot to say, thru ignorance, laziness or stupidity that he will not sell to Californiana REALLY sticks in my craw. Californians buy lots of firearms every year. If these sellers are doing so well they can ignore that big of a market,good luck.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Only shipments FROM an FFL dealer need the authorization number. Private sellers do not need this number. Sold an 1100 to a gentleman in CA a couple months ago, nothing extra was needed besides a sales tax form that his FFL provided me with.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

skeet, that's more like it.

HM

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Yeah, I'm a little peaved at outfits that won't sell to CA too. I consider an FFL who is not willing to register with my state, the BIGGEST SINGLE MARKET FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD!!! A moron. it takes 5 minutes!

I don't do business with morons.

I recently bought pistol off Guns America. It was a limited run so I knew I had to find one fast and get it.

The first one I found on G/A, was from a guy in AZ. He said "this gun is not on the CA list, and I won't sell to CA anyway ,,,,So Don't even ask!!!"

So I didn't...

The gun was a revolver and only Auto Pistols are on the CA safety list.

This guy was an idiot and trying to make a statement that nobody gives a shit about. It's like saying "that damn Obama smokes cigarettes!". Well,,,,,,Nobody gives a shit!

So,,,,I bought the gun(a Ruger Revolver) from another dealer in MIchigan who not only was happy to sell to me in CA, but sold me the gun for $100 less than the turd in AZ. It was a simple transaction.

All of the "major" arms manufacturers at the SHOT Show were marketing to Law Enforcement in CA, even though stopping that would turn the legislation around instantly. They don't care about you who are trying to buy one of their guns that is not on the list. They care about selling 20,000 pistols to the LA County Sherriffs Dept.

Ruger is selling more LCP's just to LE in CA than they are selling to just about all other states combined. They are not on the CA Pistol safety list! So I, as a civilian, can't buy one, but LE is exempt from buying unsafe guns? Why? THEY DON'T CARE! THEY ARE IN BUSINESS TO SELL LOTS OF GUNS. Not a few. Not only that but they sell the Ruger LCR a revolver that I can buy in CA which is nearly the same size as the LCP, so they are trying to make it so I can have a protection gun and get my business also.

Don't do business with people who make unrealistic claims or demand rediculous terms. They will only create problems for you. Maybe if nobody buys from them they will change. Just watching what happens here on this site when somebody is asking too much for a gun and won't budge or has some unreasonable condition on the sale like they won't ship, you most often see that the item just sits there and nobody bites.

If you see a blurb in a product description that states "I won't do this or that so don't ask, blah blah". Don't buy anything from that guy. And I'm talking to you guys from other states who don't have these problems right now because (and I make this point frequently on this site) if you don't stop it here in CA it's only a matter of time until it happens to you.

Here's the deal guys.... "Change is enevitable" all you can do is slow it down, you can't stop it.

Eventually all firearms will be gone. This is because the more people you make the more idiots you make, and the more laws you need to contain those idiots, and the more idiots get elected. If you could stop the population growth in the world at where it was about 20 years ago. we'd have lots less problems.

All problems we have as a society are caused buy one thing, and one thing only!!!!! Too many people. There are a certain percentage of good people, bad ones, insane ones, democrat ones, etc in any given group, so there will always be some of all of them. As the numbers grow, the percentages stay the same, but the actual numbers of each group increase. If you have a "one in a million guy", then you have 350 of those same guys in 350 million people!

The only way you can control the number of idiots is to control the overall population. That goes for smart people too. We need serious Birth Control NOW!or we won't have a country.

Randy

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Here's an example of something I have to put up with that is a REAL pain in the ass.

I do business with the government in my machine shop.

In order to get paid, I must submit my invoice thru a system called WAWF.

To say this is a "pain in the ass" is the understatment of the Century as it takes my wife 1-2 hours to do submit one invoice, and that's if she gets it right the first time!

But, it is the only way to get paid, so guess what? time to swallow!

Taking 5 minutes for an out of state FFL to register with the CA DOJ is nothing!

Randy

12. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I've sold a couple of guns to Californians. I called the California FFL and asked what he needed. Took me maybe 5 minutes to get the required information and both sales went without so much as a hic-up. Those who refuse to sell to California are just helping the gun control nuts. If I had another gun to sell, I sure wouldn't hesitate to sell it to a Californian.

I'm a California transplant, so I have a soft spot for the frustrations those guys are going through.

Sell to California, it's easy!!

Tomas

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

######################################################

Totally inappropriate comment by Ricks1. Don't do that again.

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Individual Sponsors/Contributors by State/Province

California has by my count 38 sponsor/contributers to this site, or roughly 3 times the numbers from any other state. Sure, we have our left wing fringe elements that get the media attention, but the rest of us are just as passionate about our freedom as people in any other state, perhaps even more passionate since we are constantly on the defensive. Go ahead and demean us instead of supporting us. After Calif. falls victim to the anti-gun factions they will be focusing on you. By the way, hide any magazines you have that hold more than 10 rounds because they are going to come for them.

Robert

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

No FFL holder may ship a gun into California to another FFL holder without (1) having been approved by the CA DOJ (they say it's a felony to do so), and (2) the CA receiving FFL must be approved by the CD DOJ.

I made it a point to get approval to do that just to spite the anti-gunner in CA, and have successfully shipped approved guns into CA.

As the person above stated that he's shipped guns into CA... the last thing I want to do is defend myself against the DOJ in Sacramento. GET APPROVAL from them first, it's pretty simple paperwork.

WW

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sorry to say after selling a combo to a young man in California that they successfully turned the whole thing into one enormous PITA...no more sales out there for me

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Yeah, I'm a little peaved at outfits that won't sell to CA too. I consider an FFL who is not willing to register with my state, the BIGGEST SINGLE MARKET FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD!!! A moron. it takes 5 minutes! "</i>

Why should a dealer outside of California have to "register" to do business there?

It's time to nip that crap in the bud. How many other anti-gun states are going to copycat this? Should a dealer have to register in those as well?

And the gall of telling a dealer who is fed up with Commiefornia how to run his business. If you have this all figured out, them move out of Commiefornia, become a dealer, and make a landmark business selling guns there.

As far as I'm concerned, boycott Commiefornia. And that includes sales to government agencies as well. Sellers, dealers and manufacturers need to grow some balls and do what Barrett did. Maybe the liberal gunowners who are stabbing you guys in the back will finally vote for pro-gunners for a change.

18. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

What started the lunacy in the first place was gang-bangers in LA were getting copies of FFL's and changing the shipping addresses on them. Then, with the bogus (their) address, they were buying pistols from unsuspecting dealers across the USA.

The California DOJ now requires you to check in and make sure you are shipping to a legitimate dealer and get a shipment number. With the BATF online check available now its almost a moot point, however it really only takes 5 extra minutes to do.

I have sent a couple of dozen guns to CA in the past year or two and it's not much extra work. Lots of nice people in CA who shoot trap and sporting and I'm delighted to send them guns! If you want to go to a great State Shoot go to CA in Kingsburg. Hard to beat for friendly folks and good targets!

Bob Schultz

19. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Brian:: I have been trying to get people to listen to me about CA for along time. They don't give a shit! You can't nip shit in the bud because everyone you need for support doesn't care. Some might say they care but they aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is! So effectively we are SOL!

Look at the NRA,,, 4 million members out of 100 million gunowners. I personally think it should be mandatory for everyone who buys or uses a gun or buys a hunting license to join the NRA? What do you think about that?

Got news for you ,,,, nobody is listening to me or you.

If you could get all of the firearms MFG's to stop selling to CA including Law Enforcement you might be able to change the laws. Barrett did it, but now every other outfit that competes with Barrett is here, and they aren't, so effectively they just lost a bunch of business for no reason at all. Money trumps principle. Plus +++ Do you actually think Barrett would have dumped CA if he didn't have Government Contracts that ate up all of his production capacity? He didn't need CA cuz there is a war going on and his main bread and butter is .50 Cal rifles that CA LE doesn't even use. No, Ronnie sounded like he was all principled, but he wasn't losing anything, so it was all just bullshit! Oh, and CA is the home of the .50 Cal Association, and the home of Billy Clifton the president of the .50 Cal Association, all of which have necked down and rebarreled to .416 to get around Arnold's BS, just like Ronnie did! So he's still selling here in a way.

Lets talk just LE sales. there is probably S&W, Glock, SA, FN, Beretta, and maybe a few others. I ask you this? Do you actually think you could get all of those outfits to stop selling to CA LE? If one said yes, the others would just say "Ooh,,,more for us." No big company is going to abandon this market to make a point. It's just plain stupid to think this, and believe me, I had to come to grips with this very fact myself! I alone cannot change jack shit! It takes literally thousands of like minded people to make changes on that level.

Here's a news flash directly from the SHOT Show where I confronted about 15 different outfits. They ain't gonna quit selling anything here! I counted 11 different outfits making Black Guns with "Bullet Buttons" built strictly to comply with CA AR laws, even Bushmaster is back and they were one of the first ones banned, they're OK now!

There is too much money at stake here in CA, and the fact there is a little more bullshit to get that money, hasn't changed anyones mind who is a significant player about doing business here. They just write off the extra bullshit as a "doing business expense" and move on.

I ripped the guy from Surefire for selling Supressors to LE here, he said anything he could do to help LE was good thing. I asked why LE needed Supressors? his exact retort was, "so they don't get sued for hurting someones hearing when they shoot somebody in a supermarket! I shit you not!

I said "but you won't sell to me" and was told point blank that my paltry business didn't even interest him. They want the whole LA County Sherrifs Dept. That's where the money is.

And that's the whole point.

All of these outfits are in business to make money, and a boycott? It ain't gonna happen, cuz nobody is gonna quit selling anything here and lose out on the money!

You should know by now, Money trumps everything!

Randy

20. darincraft

darincraft Member

############################

Unnecessary comment - Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.