1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no AAA27AAA pin?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why. It's gotta be one of the top honors in "Amateur" Trapshooting Association shooting.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Struggle as I may, I agree. Top Award! Jake

3. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

The ATA can't even make enough Grand 2012 attendance pins. They obviously are not optimistic when it comes to predicting attendance at the Grand either. I'm not surprised at all. I do agree, that there should be pins made for AAA27AAA as that is the ultimate accomplishment in our sport.

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Hey Barry....My government gave me a AAA27AAA licence plate...Does that count?

5. Barry C. Roach

It counts if you achieved it, Bill. I've asked for one for years without success. AAA27AAA is a ton away from AA27AA and they have a pin for that. It makes little sense to me.

6. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Barry, I only have to achieve the 3rd. A in Dbls....

I don't think that there are a lot of true AAA27AAA shooters out there...

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Two Dogs, interesting statement that would warrent some research, any "easy" way to find this out? Scott

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

If we assume that the target requirements for a AAA27AAA pin would be the same as for AA27AA,

and we only change the average,

and we only use the Men's target level,

and we assume that the AAA27AAA pin was started in 2010 (the earliest year for which I easily have data), then ...

35 people would have earned AAA27AAA pins in 2010,

14 people would have earned AAA27AAA pins in 2011, and

9 people would have earned AAA27AAA pins in 2012.

There would probably be a few more if I changed the target requirements based on special category, but the above method was the easiest. (Not everybody has their birth date on file so the age-based categories would be difficult for me to determine.)

[​IMG]

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It would make better sense than giving away trinkets for trophys and having a classification for almost every individual ... Thats why they don't have them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

The late great Frank Little told me that his favorite pin was his AA-27-AA pin. I think that says a lot. Note: There was no AAA class when Frank shot, or he'd have been in it.

Over the years, I've ended AAA-27-AAA eight (8) or nine (9) different years. I've been AA-27-AA over twenty-five (25) different years. My point? Finishing the year with AAA-27-AAA IMHO is quite an achievement, attained by relatively few trap shooters. (Note: before someone chimes in...some years were two-hole, some years were three-hole, some years were hand-set voice-activated, some years were pulled by humans and hand-set, etc. etc. I'm equally proud of being AA-27-AA each of those 25+ years.)

peace.

11. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Carl Chadwell, my hat goes off to you sir, fine shooting and well done, you are near the top in a very elete group. Scotty Hoover, once again, excellant job at compiling pertinent information, you sir are extremely handy to have on here. Scott

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Mr. Chadwell... ditto

It's a shame in this venue, you needed to preempt anticipated comments and "qualify" your accomplishments, which need no qualification...

I hope we never have to come to the point of discussing an asterisk (*)

regards all,

Jay

13. Barry C. Roach

Although I appreciate the archives shown here, the ATA could find all the qualified AAA27AAA's for much further back. After all, isn't one of the main functions of the ATA to recognize their shooter's highest achievements. I know of several other members of this group not on the list, above, and I think they should ALL be recognized by the ATA, regardless of when the averages were achieved.

I think this honor is right up there with the "Grand Slam", maybe surpassing it.

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"Much further back" would only extend to the 2000 target year, Barry.

Prior to that AAA did not exist.

And, yes, it could be done.

I didn't say that the people shown on the data above are the only ones to earn such a level of performance. They are merely the ones who met the criteria that I indicated over the last three years.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott,

What exactly is the criteria? Is it simply the high averages across the 3 Events or does target count factor in as well?

Disclaimer: Not that I have anything to worry about. LOL

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Matt,

The criteria were:

Have a singles average of at least 98, a doubles average of at least 96, be on the 27 yard line and have registered a minimum of 3000 singles, 2000 handicap, and 1000 doubles.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm sure AAA goes back to at least 1996.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott. I was just curious as I was comparing some friends that are quite accomplished in Trap but not on the list above. Your answer covered it.

19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry, 870, but AAA is first listed in the 2000 Rule Book.

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's on my average cards starting with the 1996 Grand, which I believe was the first shoot it was used at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aaa27aaa ata pin