1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no 1oz. longshot loads??? Any reason??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hippo, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

I was thinking about making some hot 12ga. 1oz. loads using Longshot powder for hunting, but can't find any data. There are plenty for 1 1/8 on up but nothing for 1oz. Anyone have an idea why this might be, or where I could find some data? Thanks, Lee Shaver

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Not enough payload to create suffecient pressure for consistant burn rate.

If you want some really fast 1 oz loads, look at Hodgdon's Tightgroup powder.

ec90t

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Hippo:

EC90T's answer is indeed correct but if you're asking the question, you probably could benefit from a longer explanation.

Longshot was formulated for heavy field loads. An ounce and an eighth is as light as you want to go with Longshot in 12 gauge. A one ounce payload just isn't heavy enough for a consistent clean burn.

On the other hand, there are some dandy one ounce Longshot loads for 20 gauge.

sissy

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My typing skills are a liitle slow for indepth answers. I was hoping that my responce wasn't too abrupt.

There are a lot of better powders out there for 1 oz payloads. A little research into 1 oz loads will provide the needed info for a better alternative.

My only experience in 1 oz loads comes from using Titewad and Titegroup. I've never had any experience with some of the other good powders out there.

Longshot makes for dandy 20 and 28 ga loads.

ec90t

5. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

Thanks for answering my question. This forum really is quite a resource. I guess I will have to go with 1 1/8, I already purchased the powder. Lee

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Hippo wrote: "I was thinking about making some hot 12ga. 1oz. loads using Longshot powder for hunting, but can't find any data. There are plenty for 1 1/8 on up but nothing for 1oz. Anyone have an idea why this might be, or where I could find some data? Thanks, Lee Shaver"

Lee, I would think it would be better to research the loading data for loads you are thinking of assembling BEFORE you purchase the powder instead of after. When you can't find reloading data for a particular powder, gauge, shot weight, and velocity combination, it's usually for a very good reason. Most of the time it will be because that combination either produces too high a pressure to be safe or too low a pressure to be useable. In this case, it's because the combination would produce too low a pressure to be useable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

low pressure 12ga longshot loads