1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Why NBC's coverage of the Games....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jevoliva, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Why NBC

insert your own word after that.... most will be negative....

Thought it was best to put in the shooting category, as many of us are disappointed (again) by shooting coverage (and other "small" sports for that matter)...

When in doubt -- find out who the customer is. It is NOT you or I...

Congrats, Kim and go get 'em tomorrow Vincent!
  2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

I don't necessarily agree. Between NBC, NBC Sports, and the internet broadcast, we got to see 20 minus of the women´s Skeet final, air rifle, fencing, table tennis, field hockey, and a lot of the other more obscure sports. Better then ever before, in my opinion.
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I watched Men's Air Rifle today on MSNBC or NBCSP( not sure which it was). That was very interesting. I also watched Women's Archety yesterday on one of those channels. I think the coverage has been quite good with all the different channels.

I have found coverage on these Dish channels:

MSNBC 209<br>
    CNBC 208<br>
    NBCSP 159<br>
    NBC
  4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Go to the NBC internet channel and watch.

The womens skeet final is posted for replay. About an hour, to include medals.

Tuesday is the mans skeet final.
  5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

take a read of the article -- while it is great that y'all can get this stuff, how about people that only have over air broadcast? Or cable companies that don't have a deal with NBC (like mine -- therefore, no streaming for me).

The article's main point is that there is no real barrier between the viewer and the games. The infrastructure is already in place. However, NBC decides to put up artificial barriers (tape delay, cable "deals" etc) to please their true customer -- the advertiser.
  6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Joe,

In order to watch on the Internet, a person needs to be a cable or satellite subscriber. That's one of the points being made in the editorial that John posted.

I'm a cable subscriber, so it doesn't bother me. Seems like small reward for the money I spend for the ton of channels I never watch.
  7. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

As much as I thought it would be fun/interesting to watch the shooting, even if it was only online, I found it to be like watching paint dry. Sorry!
    As much of a shooting sports person as I am, I guess I just cannot watch it on TV or online. I tried for about 10 minutes yesterday and nearly feel asleep and that was at 9 in the morning.
    Really people, are you serious when you cannot fathom why NBC does not show this over the air?

Tim
  8. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

The coverage of the women's skeet was horrible.

They was on station 3 before the dingbats figured out they had started and the shots from the helicopter didn't help matters at all.

And can you imagine somebody with a loud speaker calling out numbers while we was on the line?

I hope it goes better for the rest of the clay shooting.

I follow the ISSF shooting and I know all of those women in the finale can shoot better scores than a 90 as they always do.
  9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

I hate having to hear Bob Costas giving the shooting results, the tiny anti gun puke.
  10. Jason B

Jason B Member

I just caught LIVE coverage of the last half of the final round for men's skeet (Station 4-8) and am thoroughly impressed. The camera angles were awesome and the announcers did a good job.

Big time congrats to Vincent Hancock!
  11. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Is it just me, or is the overall audio on the Olympic coverage horrible? What I have watched, I've seen on NBC via Direct TV satellite. It seems like most events have an awful lot of background noise making it difficult to hear the commentators clearly. And hey...that is even with my hearing aids in! It would seem a simple fix for the audio engineer to dial up the volume on the commentator channel and/or filter out some of the background chatter.
  12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

For the most part, you're better off not hearing the "commentators."
  13. spitter

spitter Active Member

If we step back and open past discussions, it should come as no surprise that Olympic Skeet and Trap are where they are... the sports are not really conducive to TV, but the flash targets are tremendous!

Kim and Vince, in advance anticipation of the games, really got some fair coverage... as well as Corey being profiled at that event in Washington...

I found the NBC site easy to navigate and the archive video to load... nice to watch it on a laptop at my convenience...

I think in some ways, shotgun shooting sports are becoming more accepted... the folks that shoot and the equipment used is something most can relate to...

I still have some difficulty relating to those folks who shoot the precision rifle events with equipment that looks robotic...

My $0.02,

Jay
  14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Anybody that can shot a pellet or .22 in a target that small has my admiration. Way cool, wish I had nerves like that. Speaking of game face, Hancock clearly had his on today. It may not be super bowl coverage, but I'm glad we get what we do.
  15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Would we have TV with out the "true" customer, The advertiser?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.