1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Move Fields, Why Not 10 Per Post?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, at a big shoot where there are more than 4 trap fields, why change fields? It is not like everyone gets to shoot on the same fields anyway. Plus, with radar guns, voice calls and auto traps, the targets are pretty close from field to field and if even one field out of the four is so off that it is causing misses, you are going to be out of the money anyway. Besides, target presentations change far more during a shoot because of weather and light changes than differences between fields.

The amount of time wasted moving from field to field is significant. Particularly when the whole daisy chain is held up because of some Perazzi guy replacing trigger springs. ;-)

Also, why not shoot 10 per post. I experienced this for the first time at the Spring Grand in Tucson and really liked not having to stop just because shells come 25 to the box. Again, a lot of time was saved by cutting the post changing time in half and not having to go reload between 25s. As for 10 per post being tiring, baloney. You are actually on your feet for less time.

I say if everyone doesn't have to shoot the same fields anyway, just shoot all 100 on the same field and if your are not using 4 fields, shoot 10 per post.

2. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Lets shoot 20/post. Then we won't have to walk 50 feet........NUTS......Roger

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We once competed in a Marathon that ended up with three of four machines out of service before we finished...Shot the last hundred fifty on just one machine. One target is just like another, what's the difference? The only problem is between your ears!

Big Jack

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Oh geezus...here comes some serious BITCHIN'.....you have done went and done it now...we're going to have to call the "Jaws of Life" to get everybody's panties out of their cracks.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

why does eveything have to be about saving time? i shoot because i like to be there. where's the fun in rushing to the club, seeing how fast we can get done, then rushing off? i don't get it.

brett d.

6. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

We shoot 10 per post in one of the leagues I shoot. I don't like it. Too many shells to carry. Or you can leave them (second box) on the post you'll be shooting when the first box runs out. Just another small thing to take your mind off your shooting. My opinion-----Jack M

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

They run 10 per post at a lot of big shoots! It works just fine, and helps you stay in groove on the targets instead of changing and starting over so much. When there are real large crowds that they have trouble getting in before dark, it also saves a good bit of time and saves some squads from shooting late at nite. I've done it at a lot of big shoots and it should be used a lot more!

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

JBrook, as far as ten per post I myself don't mind.

You have some older shooters that this is pretty hard on.

I was squad leader at the Southern Grand three years ago.

There was a man and his wife from out east shooting in the squad.

After the first 50 we started for next trap.

The old guy came up to me and said he was sorry,but his wife was pulling out.

I told him let her set down and rest a bit,as long as we were not holding up anyone.

She rested for a while and did finish.

They both thanked the squad for the rest.

Bo

9. Old Dr. Bill

Old Dr. Bill TS Member

I'm in my 80th year of life. I shoot because it is fun. Don't look for me to shoot 10 per post. I see no reason to rush what you enjoy.
    Bill Wessels

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good, Irfner.

It's too bad they have to do this at big shoots. I like 50 to a field, don't think 10/post is much faster.

The Spring Grand used to be 200 targets when they had a lot of fields to use. Tucson is doing what it has to.

HM

11. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

One of the reasons that shoot participation is down is that there is too much waiting before and between shooting. Shooting 10 per post and not moving fields doesn't mean you speed up the actual pace of shooting or have to rush, you just eliminate the wasted time of changing posts, changing fields and getting a new box. We carry 50 shells for doubles, they ain't that heavy. And, you don't have backed up squads standing behind the fence talking.

I think more people would shoot if they could finish singles and HC by noon instead of 2:00 pm. Those that want to stay around the club longer certainly can and have time for some fun shoots.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In a "Perfect World" there would be no lag time between events. All clubs would cater to every shooter's wims, it would always be 72 deg. with a 5-10 mph breeze, lots of sunshine and targets as big as pumpkins! That's a perfect world and it ain't gonna happen!

As some of you have been told in the past....if you don't like the game and the way the club is playing it....you have 2 courses of action....one, get involved and change it....or number 2....just hit the bricks and stay away!

Personally I prefer the 10 per post, but most do not. When I go to a shoot, I'll shoot the stated program, if I don't like it, then I'll just leave!

Curt - Delaware

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

It has not happened but very often a gun will go into preignition. When to many rounds are shot one upon the other, the barrel gets hot and this gets to where there is a dangerous tempreture rising and I have at one time seen this happen to where the gun went off when the shell was ejected into the chamber. The heat melted the plastic shell and ignited the shell pretty much at the same time. A mess had insued. But the shooter was fine. the gun had received some damage to where the owner had to have a new barrel and some internal work done. I myself had felt the berrel of my gun and was to the point where I could not touch it bare handed it was so hot. I believe the system was set up to where it is now because of this happening in the past. Look at the black powder. The faster you get with the load the more risk you take for preignition the sams basicly as heat build up on a shotgun. You got to give these barrels a chance to cool to withing a good degree. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

14. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Anyone that thinks 10 per post is an improvement or even 50 to a trap is best, more than likely prefers 10 second sex. After all, getting through as quickly as possible is the goal, right?

15. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Why is it that everybody is in such a big hurry to finish shooting, I enjoy shooting and my time at the club visiting with friends, I'm not in a big hurry to get back home, or to the motel room. Trap is a hobby that should be enjoyed, not a job, if you don't enjoy it you should find a new hobby, just my oppinion.

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

That's a good one Southbend but you have it backwards. Shooting 10 per post makes those rounds of shooting last longer. What it shortens is the time waiting until the next one.

So that's how I like my women. Plenty of time with each but a minimum amount of time until the next one!

Also, guns get a lot hotter shooting 25 pair doubles than 10 per post.

17. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Curt,

And ten mile per hour winds?....geez why would we want to shoot in a tornado? LOL

You get the drift.....mostly that you will never please everyone.

Rickyd

18. CIM

CIM TS Member

Your top shooters prefer the use of 4 fields because they believe that the average shooter will have a harder time adjusting from field to field.Most people that set targets can't make all fields the same.Your top shooters can tell if the next field is a little higher a little lower a little faster where the average guy can't tell.He makes the adjustment and breaks the 98-99 or a 100 in handicap and the average who is down 1 in the first 50 moves to the 3rd field and breaks a 20 now he is down 6 goes to last field and he just cant get over the 3rd field destruction and misses 5 more and breaks his usal 88.

I prefer to shoot over 1 or 2 fields.It is much quicker and reduces labor cost dramatically at shoots.Your utilizing more of your help and will save hours during the day.

We could not get our State Shoot done if we didn't do it this way.All fields are utilized from start to finish and if one trap opens up you move other squads to it as quickly as possible.We call this the Wave System.Try it you will see how much quicker it is.

CIM

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I much prefer 5 per post but have no objection to shooting 10 per post if it is required. Some shoots have the options of shooting 10 per post, turning away shooters because there are no remaining squads available or requiring the last several squads to shoot when it is rather dark and no lights are available. From these options, I would select 10 per post. There are good data that demonstrate shooting 10 per post saves 25% time on singles and 30% on handicap.

I leave in the morning for the Southern Grand. Before this shoot went to 10 per post, it was not too uncommon to find shooters who had driven two days to the shoot, spent several nights in motels but could not shoot because everything was full. After changing to 10 per post, there is room for everyone.

I do not believe 10 per post is the best way to shoot unless the shooters cannot be accommodated by any other system.

Pat Ireland

20. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

To add to CIM,s notes; have you seen how seldom the practice trap throws targets that look like the other fields? You don't think that is an accident? To a beginner it is very hard to go from one trap to another that is throwing at a different speed and/or angle. The pro that shoots 3000 targets a week in 4 different clubs has no problem adjusting and doesn't need a practice trap much anyway. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.