1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why mot caps first"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've observed that in most 3 event or daily shoots the typical program is singles, caps & finally doubles.

I honestly believe every average shooter would benefit if caps went ahead of singles. Caps would be a good practice for singles while singles does very little to help your caps.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

It's a lot quicker to make up the singles squads than the handicap squads; any 5 people can shoot on a singles squad; yardage matching determines handicap squads.

Besides, if you look at signup numbers for singles, handicap and doubles the numbers go down in that order. May as well do the biggest event first.

You want warm-up? shoot a practice round first.

MK

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

Doubles first. HMB

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Why mot caps first

HMB, I agree!

ss

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why mot caps first

I'll vote for for:

Event # 1 - Doubles

Event #2 - Handicap

Event # 3 - Singles

Curt

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

The Hegins Trap Club in Hegins, Pennsylvania always shot the handicap event first. That made their shoots popular with the money shooters, most of whom stuck around for the singles.

I agree that doubles events need a boost and if your club has five traps, do what the Glen Rock Shooting Club in Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania does - run the doubles event all day on the fifth field.

Ed

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

If you have the facilities to use one trap dedicated doubles it would boost the participation if shooters could shoot them at any time. Shooters aren't too pleased with long waits while one program finishes to start the other. Would provide something for their interest and boost your target count.

Big Jack

8. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Why mot caps first

It's hard to get people around my parts to shoot doubles. They usually shoot a couple rounds of singles, talk for two hours, then shoot one round of handicap. Then complain because they are wore out from shooting too much!

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Why mot caps first

I like the better light and being more awake for the money shoot.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Why mot caps first

Personally, I think they should eliminate everything except handicap because thats all I shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Why mot caps first

I show up at 11 AM and sign up for last squad of singles. then I pick an open long yardage slot* usually in early afternoon. I shoot the singles and a half hour later shoot the handicap and am outta there by 2 PM. Doubles is for the guys that can invest all day.

*First guy of a typical long yardage squad of buddies signs up and puts an X in the other positions. At noon I pick one of those "X" spots and often shoot immediately after the singles.

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

I believe the reason most clubs put singles first is because not everyone shoots handicap targets. There are some clubs that sponsor kids to shoot, and they only shoot singles.

13. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Why mot caps first

I'm with the group that wants doubles first, or if traps are available designate a trap for doubles and shoot them throughout the day.

I like to shoot doubles, but don't want to wait around all day to shoot them.

i believe if doubles were shot earlier, more shooters would give them a try.

ed.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

Go to Williams Co. Ohio on Good Friday as they shoot Doubles, 16's and then caps.

Don

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

as long as singles are last. I don't go to them kind of shoots for practice. I go to shoot for a reason. I pick other times for practice.

I don't think a race care drive goes to the races and says I want to practice Wild Bill

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Why mot caps first

It's all about the lighting! "Most" clubs want their shooters to maximize their scores in all events so they will return to shoot good scores again. It has been my observation that shooting doubles or handicap in the mornings will nearly always result in lower scores in these events, no matter where you shoot. It's all about how the light effects the targets and the visibility of those targets. Look at the handicap results from any club that shot handicap on a poorly lite, overcast day, as compared to the same clubs scores on a nice, bright, sun shiny day. You will soon learn why the handicaps are shot in the best light available, which is usually in the middle of the day.... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.