1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Minimum Target Requirement For AA Team

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by postman, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. postman

postman TS Member

Why is there a minimum target requirement for the AA teams. If a shooter can earn enough points in less shoots, all the more power to him, or her. 90% of the members on the team will go to big shoots anyways, but what about the shooters that are unable to make the shoots, but get enough points. Fair?

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I would like to hear the name of the shooter who has the points but does not have the targets.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I came up well short on both...lol

4. canada

canada Member

I have, either once or twice as a junior, and this year i was less than 30 points off the mens. I made it one year as a junior and had to come home and shoot 400 singles and 300 handicap. We came up with a 5 man squad, enough people to classify the 2 days as a registered shoot, just to make enough targets. A little anti-climatic after the grand.

If i'm not mistaken, Dan Bonillas has shot few enough targets not to make the team when he had enough points.

Of course i'm maybe biased having been in that situation, but being from canada where you have to travel hundreds of miles to find a shoot in the states, and spend hours and hours on the road, the minimum target requirement doesn't make sense to me.

5. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

I have seen people not make even our state team for the same reason. They were short 50 targets or so!! I am sure they have their reasons. I know of a subjunior that did not make it two years ago because they were 100 targets short....(I cringed for him) ..and I know of a junior shooter this year that made it and they had to scramble after the grand to get in a couple of hundred targets. I agree with Kelsey, it definitely does happen. I have heard they are changing the AA point system next year, so it will be a new ball game for all who aspire to that goal. I have not heard what all the changes will be however. Someone else might know what they are??

Lorna Hull

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

What you are proposing could lead to a PR disaster. Do you remember any of the unknowns who have won the GA Handicap recently?? they would make the mens second team and they only won one event at one shoot. Another situation is where a competitor does not shoot doubles but has accumulated points in singles and handicap. You couldn't make mens first team without doubles (and HOA and HAA awards). But you might make it as a category shooter. I don't think I like that.

7. canada

canada Member

Winning the grand american handicap, the biggest handicap of the entire year, will earn you 100 trophy points and 10 score points. 110 points will not earn you a spot on the all american team. Not even close. You better have a lot more points than that if you plan on making one of the teams.

There are so many good category shooters that to make it without doubles is almost impossible. It reduces your possibilities to get points to 2 out of the 5 possible ways. If a shooter can somehow earn enough enough points by shooting only singles and handicap, they are absolutely worthy to make any team.

8. scout

scout TS Member

The ATA is doing it right. Do we really have an All American if someone just shoots 3 or 4 large shoots, does well, and doesn't shoot any more and scratches their way in to the bottom of one of the teams? Not if you want to be considered one of our elite shooters! The minimums are less for Juniors and Sub-Juniors than the mens because it's harder for them to get to as many shoots. If you are good enough to try to make the AA Team, go for it! Be a shooter! Shoot the requirements and have fun along the way!

9. postman

postman TS Member

Are you arguing that if Harlan Campbell shot Sparta, and a two other big shoots, and earned a whole bunch of points, enough to scratch his way to the bottom of the team, that he should not be on the mens team? That he is not an "All American". In my humble opinion, if you can win enough points with less shoots, you ARE an elite shooter.

My point is that I have heard of people who are good enough to make the team, but don't because of requirements. There are people listed above who have. I am aware that the All-American team is simply a pat on the back, but I wonder how many people have been bumped off due to this asinine requirement.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why have any requirements??? Dumb. It is suppose to signify the best of your sport. If Harlan doesn't have the targets then he dosen't make it, period. Bad choice for an example because he shoots lots and lots of targets.

Somebody always wants to change the rules. Why?? Those are the rules play by them or don't play.

Don

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

You mean there aint nothin in the rule book that it could be up to somebodies discretion to reclassify the shooter at the shoot?

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know I REALLY shouldn't have posted that but ya know sometimes rules are rules and sometimes they don't make perfect sense but we have to live with them and deal with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.