1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Men Only?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

From the ATA website on the Overview page:

"All delegates meet once a year, during the Grand American tournament. At this time, delegates from each zone elect a zone vice president. From these five men, one is selected to serve in the dual role of Vice President and as President of the ATA. The Executive Committee appoints a secretary, treasurer, auditor and Executive Director. They also appoint a Central Handicap Committee of five men, who review shooters' records throughout the year.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why are the zone vice presidents and the Central Handicap Committee restricted to men only?

And yes Grntitan, I have asked the ATA if this was a typo.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Simple answer

Language written a century ago, when men ran everything, besides no woman in her right mind would want to manage a group of crybaby men.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . which can't be managed in the first place.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Attempting to manage the dysfunctional EC & BOD of the ATA would be akin to getting a herd of turtles to march in formation!!

Curt

5. Garry

Garry Active Member

Sorry guys, but my question wasn't about managing but about restricting women from these positions.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Has a woman been turned down for a position? "All men are created equal" now applies to both genders. Mark

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Garry maybe you should stop looking at the Overview page and read the By-Laws. The By-Laws make no distinction as to sex. They simply say,

The Executive Committee as such shall consist of five (5) members,
    four (4) of whom shall be designated Vice Presidents and one (1) shall be
    designated President. The immediate Past President of this Corporation shall
    be, Ex-Officio, a member of said Executive Committee in an advisory capacity
    without vote. In addition thereto, all other Past Presidents of this Corporation shall be life members of said Executive Committee in an advisory capacity without vote but with all other rights and privileges afforded the voting members of said Executive Committee.

There is no mention of "five men" The only requirement is that they are a delegate.

Please stop trying to find problems that do not exist, we have enough of those now.

Bob Lawless

8. Garry

Garry Active Member

Bob,

With all due respect, if the overview page does not agree with the the by-laws pages, I see this as a problem.

What's the point of having an overview page that is not kept up to date when changes are made?

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

What state do you live in?

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA needs a Woman on the BOD and EC, I have said that and felt that way for years ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

WPT: I do not necessarily disagree, but can you explain why both the BOD and EC need a woman? What special attributes are there that only women have? Does that imply "all women are the same" and thus, "a woman" (any woman?) is needed in those positions? That in itself rings of stereotyping....

For me, I'd say there may be times when the best person to fill an EC or BOD vacancy is a candidate who happens to be a woman. Not always. Sometimes.

12. Garry

Garry Active Member

Bob,

Have you found any place on the ATA website that says women can be appointed to the Central Handicap Committee? If you have please direct me to where you found it.

Thanks,
    Garry

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Have you found any place on the ATA website that says women can't be appointed to the Central Handicap Committee?

14. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I would say no one probably ever pointed the wording out until now. I would say the wording would be changed provided someone sent it to the proper people at the ATA.

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I would say no one probably ever pointed the wording out until now. I would say the wording would be changed provided someone sent it to the proper people at the ATA.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So.. Let me get this right. You really believe that this is something other then an oversite?

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

OK we might as well do what the rest of the country is doing....Diversity...

We hire or volunteer someone that is lacking in the skills needed for that particular job just because they are female or a visible minority.

The state/provincial ATA rep that is voted in by the members should be well versed with the on-going dealings of the state/province affairs.If that person is Female, black,white, yellow,who ever it doesn't matter...

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Speak quietly, Hillery is looking for a new job. With her history, she could plunder us into bankrupcey at an even faster speed. She'd probably hire "Muchella" for an assistant. (VP in charge of all VPs)

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe Garry can get the ACLU to file a discrimination lawsuit! Yay!

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Why don't we tell Gary what he wants to hears. We are a sexist, racist, homophobic ........ organization.

And why no transgenders on the board either?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.