1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why loader other than MEC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I own 4 mec grabbers and they all turn out a very acceptable shell in the four differnet gauges ( although the .410 is somewhat tedious and shaky ). They are, for the most part, reliable, reasonably priced, great factory service and parts supply, universal resale value and acceptance, and easy to change shot and powder charge(s).

I often see the PW (and sometimes Spolar)reloaders talked about but they are seriously more money. I checked eBay and got confused over the different models of PW reloaders as well.

So . . . . can someone help (1) define the different types of PW loaders and (2) are the PW loaders really worth the additional cost ?

Versatility ?
    Ease of operation ?
    Change of dies or bushings ?
    Flexibilty to change loads ? i.e. 1 oz to 1 1/8 or different powder drop
    Longevity ?
    Ease in tuning or keeping in tune ?
    Factory warranty or repair ?
    and . . . . ?

Is it worth it to opt for the PW assuming at least 5000 shells a year are reloaded ?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

amboy.....

"I own 4 mec grabbers and they all turn out a very acceptable shell in the four differnet gauges ( although the .410 is somewhat tedious and shaky ). They are, for the most part, reliable, reasonably priced, great factory service and parts supply, universal resale value and acceptance, and easy to change shot and powder charge(s)."

Pretty much answers all you questions, doesn't it? Yes, you can spend more for a reloader, but, in the end they all do the same thing: Reload shells. Only you can answer whether it's worth spending more money to do the same job... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I dont think its worth it. Others may be nicer to look at, be more of a precision machine, etc. BUT...they dont turn out more shells per hour, turn out a better shell or are any easier to use. They just cost more.

I guess the same thing could be said about our guns too. :)

Mark
    MEC User

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

There was a time that Pondses-Warren was considered the Cadillac of the presses. I have been all MEC for over 30 years and am generally very satisfied. Sizemasters for hunting/experimenting in 16ga, Grabbers for added volume in 16, 28 & 410 & 9000h for high volume in 12 & 20ga. Only disappointment has been the 20 ga 9000h that has req'd a couple new pistons to eliminate oil leaks, but now is again hesitating on up-stroke; this is after a $150 trip to MEC to fix problem that continues to nag me "after repair".

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have worn out a new Mec 9000 to the point of it costing more than new to fix. I tended to it like manual called for.

I have a few 266's/366's that were used when I got them and they will be around long after I leave.

I'll take castings, forgings, and machined parts over stamped parts all day long. Mec's are good for the recreational shooter, but won't last over the long haul.

Mec's are the easiest to use and byfar the best choice for those that aren't mechanically inclined.

ss

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Why a loader other than a MEC? Because I can triple my production rate with my Dillon.

With my Grabber I was making shells at a rate of about 200-225 per hour. With my Dillon SL900 I'm producing shells at about 600 per hour.

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Years ago, why a Cadillac instead of a Chevy? End user choice, cost of ownership. Today is is why a Lexus or MB, and not a Ford? Or, why a Mec and not a Spolar or P/W. They all do the same things.

I have owned them all, and in various drives from handle to original Automate to hydraulic. All do the same thing, so for me it is the journey, not the destination.

8. Erik W

Erik W Member

If price is no object, what is best of the best system & why? Lets say user wants to load 12 & 20 in high volume and 28, 410 & 16 in moderate volume and 16 in HD hunting (lead & steel), spreader, etc? I am talking a serious shooter here.

9. Landshark

Landshark Member

I had a PW for 1 month and sold it. Give me a 9000G please.

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have 2 9000G's with the adjustable charge bar on both. They have 60,000 plus through each (probably many more). A little oil on each wear point and keep throwing the loaded bullits out. A couple wad guides is ALL that has needed service (just like the everready bunny). An adjustment here or there is it! And pretty impressive when both were bought for less than 200.00 in 95 and 96 when I started shooting..........merlyn

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Simply? accuracy. I've had a Grabber and two 9000GN's. Not consistant enough for me. I'm reloading for accurate and uniform reloads. My MEC's never gave that to me. My Dillon does. I want a shell that's better than the factory.
    There's many other things that pulled me away from MEC. Dave T.

12. big-o

big-o Member

Amboy49,
    You didn't tell them about some of the"UGLY" shells that you show-up with!
    Why don't you post some pictures?!

Sincerely,
    HC

13. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I own 4 mec grabbers and they all turn out a very acceptable shell in the four differnet gauges ( although the .410 is somewhat tedious and shaky ). They are, for the most part, reliable, reasonably priced, great factory service and parts supply, universal resale value and acceptance, and easy to change shot and powder charge(s).

I often see the PW (and sometimes Spolar)reloaders talked about but they are seriously more money. I checked eBay and got confused over the different models of PW reloaders as well.

So . . . . can someone help (1) define the different types of PW loaders and (2) are the PW loaders really worth the additional cost ?

Versatility ?
    Ease of operation ?
    Change of dies or bushings ?
    Flexibilty to change loads ? i.e. 1 oz to 1 1/8 or different powder drop
    Longevity ?
    Ease in tuning or keeping in tune ?
    Factory warranty or repair ?
    and . . . . ?

Is it worth it to opt for the PW assuming at least 5000 shells a year are reloaded ?

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

amboy.....

"I own 4 mec grabbers and they all turn out a very acceptable shell in the four differnet gauges ( although the .410 is somewhat tedious and shaky ). They are, for the most part, reliable, reasonably priced, great factory service and parts supply, universal resale value and acceptance, and easy to change shot and powder charge(s)."

Pretty much answers all you questions, doesn't it? Yes, you can spend more for a reloader, but, in the end they all do the same thing: Reload shells. Only you can answer whether it's worth spending more money to do the same job... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I dont think its worth it. Others may be nicer to look at, be more of a precision machine, etc. BUT...they dont turn out more shells per hour, turn out a better shell or are any easier to use. They just cost more.

I guess the same thing could be said about our guns too. :)

Mark
    MEC User

16. Erik W

Erik W Member

There was a time that Pondses-Warren was considered the Cadillac of the presses. I have been all MEC for over 30 years and am generally very satisfied. Sizemasters for hunting/experimenting in 16ga, Grabbers for added volume in 16, 28 & 410 & 9000h for high volume in 12 & 20ga. Only disappointment has been the 20 ga 9000h that has req'd a couple new pistons to eliminate oil leaks, but now is again hesitating on up-stroke; this is after a $150 trip to MEC to fix problem that continues to nag me "after repair".

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have worn out a new Mec 9000 to the point of it costing more than new to fix. I tended to it like manual called for.

I have a few 266's/366's that were used when I got them and they will be around long after I leave.

I'll take castings, forgings, and machined parts over stamped parts all day long. Mec's are good for the recreational shooter, but won't last over the long haul.

Mec's are the easiest to use and byfar the best choice for those that aren't mechanically inclined.

ss

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Why a loader other than a MEC? Because I can triple my production rate with my Dillon.

With my Grabber I was making shells at a rate of about 200-225 per hour. With my Dillon SL900 I'm producing shells at about 600 per hour.

19. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Years ago, why a Cadillac instead of a Chevy? End user choice, cost of ownership. Today is is why a Lexus or MB, and not a Ford? Or, why a Mec and not a Spolar or P/W. They all do the same things.

I have owned them all, and in various drives from handle to original Automate to hydraulic. All do the same thing, so for me it is the journey, not the destination.

20. Erik W

Erik W Member

If price is no object, what is best of the best system & why? Lets say user wants to load 12 & 20 in high volume and 28, 410 & 16 in moderate volume and 16 in HD hunting (lead & steel), spreader, etc? I am talking a serious shooter here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.