1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why left and right handed guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Very few of us keep a gun for life. Why not buy a gun with a neutral cast and adjust using the comb? It would make resale easier.

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Here's an example, I am left handed and when I mount a gun I want the stock to angle away from my face. Nothing worse than having a stock that angles into your face and you are sure to get excessive recoil to the face and eventually start lifting your face as you pull the trigger in order to get away from the recoil. I have had one adjustable stock in 41 years of shooting. The gun came with right hand cast, and I am left handed. I had the gunsmith, bend the stock cast left, then added the adjustable comb. Reason I did this, is due to if I just moved the comb over to the left I get hit with the bottom ridge of the stock to my face and it is very uncomfortable. If I didn't bend the stock originally, I would have had to sand down that edge when the stock comb was moved over.
    Steve Balistreri

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Simple.

Because it won't fit as good as one cast for a left-hander or right-hander.

4. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

"Right" handed people have no clue what we "correct handed" persons go thru on a daily basis..Most everything is made "right-handed". Like Steve said- better to have the stock made or bent left-handed in the first place.

Larry

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dumb Euro-idea. I like American guns made straight-on.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm a righty but i know my lefty friends hate when auto guns chuck the empties back into their face. Why not lefty guns for lefties??? Doesn't affect me any for them to have a gun made for them.

Matt

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Dear shutnlar, us right handed hetero sexual shooters prefer at least some cast off.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cast-off & cast-on is for Side x Sides. You can do the same thing with an adjustable comb.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, not really. If you have more outboard shoulders, cast on or off can be very important.

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Tron- you like cats and Hil-Rod- and you think you are hetero?? :) Matt, to the best of my ken, only Remington made LH autos...

Larry

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

shutnlar- Benelli and Fabarm both make LH semi-autos, as did Winchester in the 1400.

There are very few people out there that a completely neutral stock will fit correctly, right handers or left handers. Why do you think a lot of people who can afford to do so, have a custom stock made, or shoot a precision fit stock? It isn't to flush money down the drain. If you have a neutral stock, and "think" it fits you, I suggest you see a competent stock fitter, as you are probably wrong. The only way you could shoot a neutral stock, and have your eyes level on the X axis would be to have a razor thin comb, and eyes that were very far apart.

And no, an adjustable comb and adjustable pad CANNOT get you the same effect as true offset and toe out built into a stock, otherwise everyone whos ever had a custom stock made would just be shooting factory stocks with adjustable combs and pads. I shoot a comb thats 1/2" offset from the centerline of the barrels. If I were to take a neutral stock, and move the comb over a half inch, my jaw would be bashed in by the comb cut every time I shot the gun.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Left and right handed guns are for left and right handed shooters!

Neutral-cast guns don't fit anyone properly, unless the gun is held in a ninety degree angle to the upper body. I have never seen anyone shoot that way.

13. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Skeetman- my bad on the Autos, I knew that , but had a senior moment.. That said, all the advice on fit here seems to me to be correct, one reason I shoot a PFS.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

left handed shooting using right cast

why is bad for left handed shooters to use right handed guns