1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why K 80 blow ups but no K 32

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The other thread got quite long before I could ask this question. I have read about the hardness of the K 80 guns so that Krieghoffs could only be engraved only by krieghoff them self before hardening makes sense if you are krieghoff shut out the aftermarket engravers. The issue for me is if the hardness is the possible cause.After all K 32 guns have been around a lot longer and are softer less brittle with out the blow up record of the K 80 Just a thought looking back and yes I have owned both with out any issues but it seems like something is a miss.

2. johnboy

johnboy Member

I hope you are right, have been shooting a Model 32 since 2003!

3. dustinthewind

dustinthewind Active Member

Gun test on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laX3H08TuMk

4. flyguysdad

flyguysdad TS Member

My K-Gun blew up because there was a crack in the barrel right in front of the breech. It was perfectly obvious as evidenced by the bluing penetrating half way through the cross section of the barrel. White labs said it was a high pressure shell. They're in Krieghof's pocket;in my opinion and will say whatever is in their best interest. The pictures of my gun were posted on here before if anyone wants to see them.

5. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have an old post WWII Krieghoff made with Rem M32 tooling, serial number 630 with hex rib posts. .722 bores, knocks my shooting glasses off frequently but I only use it when I go offshore and don't want to lose a Perazzi to the baggage busters. A lot of rounds, no trouble...

I've never owned a K-80.

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

flyguysdad,

So how did you come out with Kriegof in the end? they do anything for you? As you said the bluing went down into the crack would indicate it was faulty since new I would think??

7. flyguysdad

flyguysdad TS Member

Krieghoff offered me another used gun at a reduced price,which I promply sold. I ended up being out a few hundred bucks. I think they treated me fairly considering every thing. The report from White labs was a farce. I think Krieghoff has a serious problem which they address by making anyone who wants to recover any losses sign a non disclosure agreement with regards to the settlement.The faulty gun then disappears. If they acknowledge the real problem they would face a massive recall, and probably be doomed. As for me; I agree with the guy on another forum that had a cracked barrel(in the same place) and felt he got screwed when they replaced the barrel, charged him $1000 and said the barrel wasn't cracked even though they replaced it. From now on I buy guns I can afford to throw away.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I wonder what tune they'd hum if you sent a test report from another test lab prior to giving them the gun?

Hap

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

On my discussion with White labs Friday the lady told me they have an agreement with Kreighoff and will not and cannot disclose that information, I asked what if the information is Subpeoned, she said then it would be given to the party that subponed the information.

So you see only information on your gun that you send them for evaluation will you get the information of the failure.

A class suit by K-80 owners and a complaint to OSHA on a safety complaint on K-80 blow up problems would generate some action, but also would be fuel for anti-gun people, so shooters loose both ways, but on the other extreme Kreighoff would be in a predictament.

That is why they want a disclosure statement from the shooter.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I wonder how Sir Oye manages to keep his working so well??......breakemall

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well... they don't all blow up Bob. Just some of them! Wheel of Kreighoff!!! Just too many of them blowing up to discount as reloads. The last one blew up with a factory shell. Jeff

12. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Gary,(Dr LS)

Please explain to me what an OSHA complaint against Krieghoff would produce? You are not an employee of Krieghoff nor were the K80s that failed used in the course of gainful employment. What specific standards were violated? OSHA would have no jurisdiction in deciding a complaint in a matter such as this.

Also, what would the basis of a class action law suit be? Do you have significant proof of negligence in manufacturing or are you just acting as an accelerant for an unnecessary bond fire. I would suggest that if you are going to jump in and stir the pot, you better be aware of whats cooking. I for one would like to see the facts from "both" sides prior to grabbing my torch and pitch fork and stomping off to Ottsville.

Regards,

Joe

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I betcha if Roger Penske fielded a trap team, "The Captain" would/could get to the bottom of all of the K-80 problems, alleged or otherwise, very quickly!!

14. GlennH

GlennH TS Member

SAAMI is the correct quasi goverment body to investigate this issue. If SAAMI is not involved, why not!
    Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.