1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is trapshooting thriving at Cardinal Center?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have experienced the ups and downs of trapshooting since the 1950's. I have seen many clubs come and go. Registered shooting as a whole has been declining for several years. Yet, in a slow economy, the shooting numbers at Cardinal Center,Ohio, have increased every year. What are they doing to buck the national trend? Could their success story help other locations through out our country? Whats your take? Oldtimer

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They must be doing something right, thats for sure ... This is one of the places I want to shoot at someday when I get the chance ... I would like to go back and shoot the games at Maywood all in the same trip back east ... There are just some places that do it better than others and it shows ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

maywood. love that place. make sure to look up tom searles. nice guy---most of the time and a fairly good shooter sometimes.. motordoc

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Maywood is also the home of the "Worlds Best Dressed Trapshooter", but I cannot mention any names because I gave my word ... I was a member at Maywood years ago and the place was crawling with good shooters especially when they had the games (usually on Weds night and Sundays) ... Its been a long time but I know T.P.S. from back then as well as a bunch of the other guys ... That has to be one of the best gammer clubs around bar none or at least it was back then ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Mr. Fishburn the owner of the Cardinal Center believes in giving the shooters what they want in a facility and staff...

He goes all out in serving the shooter and I would venture a guess that is why they are doing so well. We went for the first time last year and can't wait to be able to get back there this year for the Cardinal Classic in August.

Like a lot of others are saying, "Cardinal Center IS our Grand".

Dave in SC

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Location.....Location....Location.

A fairly easy drive if you live in Oh., Pa., Mich., N.Y., In., Ky., W.Va.

Lots of shooters in these states.

Regards....Gerald

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Besides being a well ran premier shooting facility with everything shooters need close by, the site is centrally located to a heck of a lot of trap shooters from surrounding states! That's just four of the pluses the Cardinal Center has going for the facility.

That's not a put down on the super shooting facility at Sparta either, just trapshooting facts and why the Cardinal is growing as a comparison.

Hap

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Are there any skeet fields, or plans for them, @ cardinal?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Simply has nearly everything Sparta doesn't have-and growing. Location is the biggest plus!!

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Andy--Have you been to Sparta?

11. oleolliedawg

No way Matt. Too far for my creaky back and I don't care to drive 40 or 50 miles every day from a decent motel to the shoot. I'm quite content to have Tammy drive to Ohio for the Cardinal Classic or to Fl. for the Southern Grand. Most of my friends who've been there are searching for reasons to go back. Once you've been to Vandalia-warts and all-you realize there only ever was one Grand American!!

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy. You answered my question quite well.

I don't judge the Cardinal Center because i've never been there. I have friends who have shot there but its tough to base my opinion on their views. Those same friends don't like Crappie fishing and deer hunting. Good thing i don't base all my opinions on what they say and see.

I am glad your wife and you do have places you enjoy to go and shoot. Thats what its really all about. Sometimes this whole shooting facility rivalry is worse than the college football battles.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It seems like the one poster (Gerald) said, the shoots at Cardinal Center are the replacement for the Grand for many shooters without the excessive driving and just as much bang for the shooting buck ... Location equates to being convenient for many shooters and it seems like their money spends any place ... The Cardinal Center adds new meaning to what many have said over the years, "Build it and they will come" but build it in the middle of no place and they probably won't come, so the story goes ... If it was not for the Martins generousity the attendance would continue to drop off and it just might any way ... Time will tell and the bottom line cannot be debated when all is said and done ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

WPT....Whoa!!!!!!!!!

If I came across saying Cardinal is a replacement for the Grand I apologize.

What I meant is many shooters in contingent states find Cardinal user friendly.

The Grand is the Grand wherever it's held.

Regards....Gerald

15. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Actually Sparta saves me a 400 plus mile drive to the Grand.

ed.

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

It's no mystery why Cardinal Center is succeeding:

1. Mr. Fishburn is willing to spend a LOT of money on Cardinal Center;

2. The facility was obviously designed by people who know what they're doing;

3. The shoots are run competently by people who care;

4. Cardinal Center is well-located;

5. Mr. Fishburn is willing to spend a LOT of money on Cardinal Center.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gerald,

You do not have to say or imply it because for many thats what it is and they like it that way (I was not trying to read into anything you said or in between the lines, Sorry bout that) ... I personally would rather drive back to Ohio if I was going to take a shooting trip to someplace back east from where I now reside ... I have been to Sparta prior to the WSRC being built there and didn't get all excited about being there though it was a very nice little town in the middle of no place and was actually a great place to visit ... I might even take the time to go back and adjust Matts gun for him if the notion moves me ... I wonder if they could (would) have a WPT day if I gave them enough notice ..? lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

There are lots of very well run clubs all over the country......the cardinal center seems to be the only one with self appointed cheerleaders who constantly feel the need to boast & brag about that facility. Why is that?

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Hunter44, I was kind of wondering the same thing. Seems as though they have their own little group of self appointed cheerleaders :)

20. oleolliedawg

Little group of cheerleaders-maybe-but growing nonetheless!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.