1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is there a 12ga ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kwb, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwb

kwb TS Member

Having a hard time finding 12ga target loads in CA. Last week took a road trip up to Montana and stopped by several shops on the way through Utah, Idaho and Montana - including cabelas and bass pro shop, nothing..... No target loads. Even Walmart had no 12ga ammo.

Anyone know why?

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Might be the lead and the nitrocellulouse used in the powder are going to make rifle & pistol ammo.

3. oz

oz Active Member

If you noticed there is NO ammo of any kind around. Scalpers have lots though. Try to find .22LR ammo.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Because the ammo manufacturers are filling the order for 1.6 billion rounds of metallic ammo that was placed by DHS.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

what good will it do you to reload. There are no components either

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Primers and powder going to make more profitable pistol and rifle ammo.

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I ordered 5 flats of 12 ga. from Cabela's 6 weeks ago on a backorder. I just received notice that they have shipped the order. So it looks like some ammo is being diverted to the big retailers.

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

I've got six flats of Bornaghi? if you are passing through Idaho again. I am not shooting this year so I don't need them.

Lyle

9. jc128763

jc128763 TS Member

I am not sure as to why there is a shortage but I just took delivery of two flats of B&P F2 Legends direct from the manufacturer with no shipping charges:

http://www.bandpusa.com/

Softest handicap load I have ever shot...

However, there is something to know - the flash hole is really small and the standard MEC depriming pin won't fit through it. I haven't had a chance to check and see if I can get a smaller one.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a shortage of 12 gauge target loads, it's just that the stores aren't stocking them. We are getting all the shells we want at our club at good prices.

11. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

called one of my wholesalers the first of the week that I have done business with for almost 25 years. Was told that since I do not order much or have not ordered much the last two years, from them, that they will service the "Big Dealers" first and if anything is left order we might have a shot at getting some. I told him that I sure hope he remembers that statement when inventories get better and I will not have the time to do business with him anymore. Liberalism has hit the Sporting goods wholesalers.

12. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Dick - if people cant get what they want to buy - it means there is a shortage. Trust me - there is a 12ga ammo shortage. CAC in PA wouldnt send our club any ammo. In fact, they cancelled our order for shot, primers, powder, etc. I see Recob's online store is closed. I would say there is a shortage.

13. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Supply and Demand. Everyone thought there was a shortage, and bought up available inventory. Are the Italians and Spanish busy making metallic cartridges for the USA? (B&P, Nobel, Clever, RIO, Kemen, etc.) Doesn't make much sense.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I just bought 5 flats of STS---$78.00 a flat----Dig deep if you want to shoot.
    Playing golf tomorrow----Hope they don't ban golf balls---SJB

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

In the midwest there seems to be a shortage getting some items but things are still available. You might try www.rogersportinggoods.com they seem to have a lot of Federal and Winchester shells listed online that are still available. They do ship all over the USA. If your out of state you don't pay sales tax. They are located in Liberty MO. Probably one of the larger Federal dealers that there are. They normally have trailer truck loads of shells.

I know I was at Cabela's this week and they had maybe 2 or 3 cases of target loads. One case of Federal Papers and some assorted boxes of AA's.

16. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

To follow up on Frostymans comment,I was in Rogers last Friday to buy 5 flats of the Federal R-W-B shells and their inventory was just as high as always.Pallet loads on the floor and shelfs were full...KS-OKIE

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Bluskyshooter: I don't doubt what you're saying, and CAC and Recobs are two
    of the biggest. Still, we stocked in all the Remingtons and Rio's we wanted just a short time ago. I wish someone really knew what was going on, and more important, how to fix it.

18. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

12ga is one of the few ammo we have plenty of here in Texas, for right now anyway.

19. cafowler

cafowler Member

I just happened stop at the old Wally on my way home tonight to see what they had available. Total of 7 boxes of Rem field loads, 1 oz of 8's at 1290 fps, at $6.50/box. Lots of duck loads at $20 - $25/box still out, good luck selling any of those this time of year.... I asked if they had more, salesman (I use the term loosely) said, nope that's it. So, I said I'll take it all, 4 of the boxes were in a locked glass case. He said sorry, they can only sell 3 boxes/person. I asked why, playing dumb, and said if it is out on the shelves the store has to sell it to me, only the federal gov't can ration something for sale, a store doesn't have that right. I sounded official as hell, he didn't buy it. I asked if I buy 3, walk around and come back to buy the other 4, that would work right, NOPE. Told me to come back after midnight if I wanted 3 more, and the next day for the last box.

We've got 12 Ga available in the area, but most gun clubs are selling whatever they can get for close to $10/box for crap loads. Bought 5 flats Rio's last week for $6/box from a friend. May go buy more of that, just in case.... I stocked up on components last year, plenty. I just need to get to the reloading work and quit shooting so much.

20. Pen25

Pen25 Member

first off there was no order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammo. it was a contract to buy 1.6 billion to lock in the price and that is over the course of 5 years. there was no actual purchase.

second off people started buying the shotgun ammo after they seen they couldnt buy pistol and rifle ammo to flip. and this is why i reload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.