Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why is the hold point important?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  whiz white 
#1 ·
Some days I seem to shoot better holding low and some days better holding high.
What are the factors to consider in decining hold point?
Thanks,
houston6

#4 ·
You can adjust the height of your hold point depending on whether the targets are flying high or low on that day. I like a low hold point and adjust it a little depending on the targets flight path. You have to find what works best for you. HMB

#5 ·
Your hold point in the starting point for the move you have to make to intersect the target flight path for each target presentation from each post. As soon as your brain recognizes the target presentation, it initiates the move.

My theory is that these moves to intersect the target path should be repeatable just like a golf swing or the release of a bowling ball and that through repetition you can "groove" each move. That is why in practice I will lock the trap on a particular angle and shoot that target 25 times from each post so that as soon as I recognize that target path I'll automatically make the same move to it.

Because these moves require different geometry from high holds as opposed to low holds, I favor picking hold points and staying with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.