1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the Hall of Fame still in Vandalia?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Heap, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

An anachronism (from the Greek "???," "against," and "??????," "time") is anything that is temporally incongruous in the time period it has been placed in—that is, it appears in a temporal context in which it seems sufficiently out of place as to be peculiar, incomprehensible or impossible. The item is often an object, but may be a verbal expression, a technology, a philosophical idea, a musical style, a material, a custom, or anything else closely enough bound to a particular period as to seem odd outside it.

Why is the HoF still in Vandalia when the ATA has moved on? Kenny Ray is a devoted director who's hard work is wasted on 99% of the trapshooters who care about the history of the sport but can never see the displays.

If funds are raised they should be invested in a new home for the HoF, someplace where the displays can be seen by interested trapshooters.

Sparta is a location for a rotating display of interesting HoF objects but the permanent home of the HoF should move to a location convenient to a large number of shooters and to the general public.

There are a number of large, well located gun clubs who own their own grounds who should be considered for a relocation. If interested clubs bid for the new home for the HoF, perhaps in cooperation with a local business enterprise, we could have a display we could continue to be proud of and one that would generate general interest in the sport. Keith Miles - Shoreline, Washington

2. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Because the ATA headquarters is there?

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

The only piece of land the ATA still owns...is in Vandalia.

That just about settles the location search, I think.

4. Robb

Robb Member

The HOF is where it belongs. It's called history. There is no baseball team in Cooperstown, no basketball team in Springfield and no football team in Canton. If people want to visit the ATA Hall Of Fame they can come to Vandalia. Let's leave what history we have left in Ohio. Been there since 1924 I believe. I don't recall the numbers but Ohio has plenty of shooters.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Like buzzgun said: the only piece of land the ATA owns. I believe the ATA only has a 10 year lease at Sparta. After what happened at the university in IL, I wouldn't be surprised if Mayor Daley, and Gov. Blowhard aren't down in Sparta right now bulldozing the traps. There is precedent, Mayor Daley sent the bulldozers in to Meigs Field (airport on Chicago lakefront) under cover of darkness and started dozing. He didn't like it.

Keep the ATA in Ohio, or somewhere where the ATA owns the ground.

Bisi

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

THe City of Dayton is the landlord of the ATA in Vandalia. All the ground and buildings were sold and the ATA building , including the Hall of Fame is leased from the city.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I stand corrected...so, am I to understand, we own a building, on land we don't own?

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I stand corrected also. It still makes sense to stay in Dayton, because I don't think the current staff at the ATA would relocate to Sparta. It would cost to much to relocate.

9. tomk2

tomk2 Member

"It still makes sense to stay in Dayton, because I don't think the current staff at the ATA would relocate to Sparta."

Now that sounds more like the truth.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pray tell, Sportshot?

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

buzz-gun- We do not own the land or the building that is fixed to the land. We now rent it at a very reasonable cost.

Many on this site think they can sell their house, but actually all they sell is the land. Anything permanently attached to th land goes with the land. If you read your deed, your house is not mentioned, only the land.

Pat Ireland

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The physical locations of Halls of Fame are less important that their missions. HoF roadshows are the ticket - take the HoF to the trapshooter.

Jay

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jay, I think that would be difficult for security reasons.

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pat,

That may be true, from the legalistic standpoint of a real-estate occupational technician like yourself...but go burn your house down, and see if your "land" is worth as much afterward, as it was before you did it.

15. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

Pat,

I can sell my house and keep the land. It is up to the buyer to remove it, either in one piece or pieces. I could also sell the building, give the buyer occupancy, and charge rent for keeping the building on my land.

BDN

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Is the Hall of Fame being visited regularly? I wonder about the number of people that might view it. If it is not viewed on a regular basis the ATA might consider moving it to Sparta. As in past years I was told most of the viewing was during the Grand. I might be wrong. - Jim

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Big Heap said "99% of the trapshooters who care about the history of the sport but can never see the displays." From what I can tell from the Trap and Field Average Book PA and Ohio are #1&2 in the number of registered shooters in the country. Seems like a good place to start for maximum exposure.

Bob Lawless

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

BDN - Yes, you can sell your house and keep the land (severance) but you can't sell the land and keep the house unless you remove it. The house is a fixture and is part of the Real Property. We sold the land and the H of F building attached to the land conveyed with the land.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.