1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why is the calcutta named the calcutta?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mercedesman1981, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Yeah I know, a dumb question.

I went to my first meet last weekend shooting handicap. Starting at the 20 and had all kinds of trouble. I am usually in the 22-24 range at 16yds, so it was difficult to see my scores drop to the 17 - 18 range. This brings up a lot of other questions, but back to the thread, Does anyone know how this got started and why its called the Calcutta? It was interesting to watch and I see it as a way to make side bets as to who may win for those not able to shoot high scores, or am I missing something? Are there any strategies involved?

Mike

2. setter

setter Member

Its by definition:
    2. (sometimes lowercase) Also called Calcutta pool. a form of betting pool for a competition or tournament, as golf or auto racing, in which gamblers bid for participating contestants in an auction, the proceeds from which are put into a pool for distribution, according to a prearranged scale of percentages, to those who selected winners

Don't know the origin of the word!

I know, let's ask Sobie Boy.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It derives it's name from the slave auctions in Calcutta India a long time ago. The name stuck to designate an event where an auction is held to buy the contestants.

Eric

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If you buy yourself and win the whiners really get roudy!

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

"I see it as a way to make side bets as to who may win for those not able to shoot high scores"

At live pigeon shoots, there are a lot of deep pocket "shooters" whose main purpose there is to invest in the Calcutta. Often they will form "pools" and purchase several of the top shooters, which considerable shortens the odds.

6. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Of Life's little mysteries, Thanks for the answers everyone!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why is an auction on golf called calcutta