1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is shooting from the 20 that much different ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

At the ATA shoots I have always skipped the handicap event but decided the other day to just focus on handicaps this year. Shot 16's and had a 98 moved back to the 20 thinking it would be the same and shot an 80, Why the difference?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Much of it is mental, but you do have to be more precise as you move back, shoot tighter to the target, keep your head down firmly and keep the gun moving through the shot.

MK

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

targetmaster---welcome to my world. Took me (2) years to get a 1/2 yard. I shot plenty of 90's scores including several 95's. I could just never get that extra bird or get a day when my scores would win. Don't quit at it is all i can say. Most don't take near as long as me to start moving back. I'm a slow learner i guess. LOL. I think its just the slight change in angles and mental as "MK" said.---Matt

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I use to be on 25 1/2 yards years ago. I am now down to 20 yards. I find 20 yards very difficult. I see the target better from 20 than 16. Everyone says shoot 20 yard handicap the same as the 16 yard target. To be honest, I really don't know the reason why I can't get off 20 yards. Even if my health was good, I probably would still be on 20 yards. All I can say is that I have met a lot of interesting shooters on the 20 yard line, from beginners, old timers, sand baggers etc. It's an interesting yardage to say the least. If you find a way to get yardage, let me know.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'll bet you are shooting under the targets at the 20. Loosen up.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

WE have a league that we shoot a round of 16s and based on your score you shot you shoot from 22 23 or 24yrd lines so if I shot 21 or below I am shooting from 22yrd if I shot 22 or 23 its the 23yrd line and 24-25 its 24yrd line.

Wow what an equalizer it can be from the 16yrd hot shots not used to shooting handicap we see scores who have 48,49 or 50s now as low as 40s or lower. Myself I see it as practice cause I want to start shooing caps this spring and try the Krieghoff challenge at Eleysberg this next year.

Jerry Lewis

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

targetmaster---welcome to my world. Took me (2) years to get a 1/2 yard. I shot plenty of 90's scores including several 95's. I could just never get that extra bird or get a day when my scores would win. Don't quit at it is all i can say. Most don't take near as long as me to start moving back. I'm a slow learner i guess. LOL. I think its just the slight change in angles and mental as "MK" said.---Matt

8. senior smoke

I use to be on 25 1/2 yards years ago. I am now down to 20 yards. I find 20 yards very difficult. I see the target better from 20 than 16. Everyone says shoot 20 yard handicap the same as the 16 yard target. To be honest, I really don't know the reason why I can't get off 20 yards. Even if my health was good, I probably would still be on 20 yards. All I can say is that I have met a lot of interesting shooters on the 20 yard line, from beginners, old timers, sand baggers etc. It's an interesting yardage to say the least. If you find a way to get yardage, let me know.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'll bet you are shooting under the targets at the 20. Loosen up.

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

WE have a league that we shoot a round of 16s and based on your score you shot you shoot from 22 23 or 24yrd lines so if I shot 21 or below I am shooting from 22yrd if I shot 22 or 23 its the 23yrd line and 24-25 its 24yrd line.

Wow what an equalizer it can be from the 16yrd hot shots not used to shooting handicap we see scores who have 48,49 or 50s now as low as 40s or lower. Myself I see it as practice cause I want to start shooing caps this spring and try the Krieghoff challenge at Eleysberg this next year.

Jerry Lewis

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

senior smoke, I don't know how you can see the bird better from the 20. You're 4 yards farther back. Tighter choke and take your time. Try 3 dram loads, or faster 1 0z loads.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><i>"senior smoke, I don't know how you can see the bird better from the 20. You're 4 yards farther back."</i></blockquote>...the same way you can see a football field better from higher up than you can from field level; as you move back the narrower the trap house appears, the slower the target moves across your field of vision and the less eye and gun movement is needed to move to the target from your hold point. To me, that's "better"!

MK

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

As you move back the targets seem smaller and slower. Tighter choke and try to be more precise when shooting. Also if you can't shoot a score in your 16's that would move you back in handicap it would be harder to shoot the handicap score to move you back.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Change in POI. Adjust gun to compensate. HMB

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

There should be no difference from the 16 yard line back to about the 22 yard line. EVERYTHING stays the same except where you stand. Trust me, it's strictly a mental thing if you are having trouble at the 20 yard line. Shoot them just as you do 16 yard targets and you will soon be moving back... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. senior smoke

Trapboy 1957:
    Like my old shooting friend always told me, all I need is a couch and a recliner on the 20 yard line, because he said he does not see me ever getting off of it. Friends always thought I was sand bagging, but not true. One time this same friend decided to not buy me in a Calcutta because he said it's like throwing money down a well. Just as the bidding was ending he decides to buy me. I asked him why did he buy me? He said for 30 years you have never won me a cent. If someone else bought you and you won, I'd have to kill you and the guy who bought you.
    Steve

17. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I started competitive trap shooting less than a year ago. I have not found the twenty to be that much different than the sixteen yard line. In all fairness I have worked very hard at it. Practice at least once a week at a trap club, and have a thrower in my back yard at home and shoot at least 150 rounds every week at home. In early July I shot a 97 and earned a yard to the 21 yard line. In late July at the Grand Pacific I shot a 94 tied for my yardage group was in a shoot off and earned another yard to the 22 line. Maybe I am lucky at handicap or it is the amount of practice that I do, I have no idea. I really wanted to earn another yard this year but I didn't make it. I have been consitstantly shooting scores in the 22-23 range the last two months but just not quite good enough to earn another yard. I have practiced at the gun club for fun from the 25-27 yard several times and have shot a couple of 24's. I actually find it easier from the 25. I just need to get past the 22 and move on back. Shooting season is done around here unless I want to drive down to California and I do not think I could get approval from my wife for that. Don't give up you will start moving on back before you know it. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.
    JB

18. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I know practice is the key and I don't get much of that because the nearest trap range is 75 miles each way. The shooting is about over here till the spring, Then I'll start to get in some good practice. Thanks for the advice!!!

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I was on the twenty for my first ATA shoot only,(I was so green I never heard how hard it is} so... I don't know much other than it is totaly mental.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.