1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Ruger not a player in the trap market?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I am curious why I never see trap guns with the Ruger label.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

They show up every now and then. Was a gun made before it's time.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

not hardly hippie.....
    trapguns are identified by their longevity...

Ruger had none....

Throw it in the same bargain basement bin as the Browning recoiless...

also, a gun before it's time...

and the Edsel...

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ruger is not a serious player in any of the clay target sports. Their guns are built for the hunter who considers a flat of ammo to be a lot to shoot in one year.

Easystreet

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to the bean counters!

Trapshooters are not a big market, but hunters are.

Seems to work for them!

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Trigger and durability

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Did someone forget about recoil! I never met a Red Label that didn't kick the snot out of me.

ss

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Great little field gun. Wont hold up to the pounding of trap and skeet..200-300 shots a day. Todd

9. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Worst kick from a shotgun I've ever experienced. Would rather shoot a 10ga. than a Red Label.
    Sam

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Shot 500 doubles targets with a Red Label, boy did it get loose!

11. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

This explains why the Red Label didn't catch on, but except for the market being relatively small (and I am not sure this is true) how come Ruger didn't make a good trap gun?

12. DickG

DickG TS Member

I asked a Ruger rep that question at the Grand one year. He said that the trap market was so small, that it didn't make good business sense to develop, and market a trap gun. The one they did make was done as a favor to a long term employee.

13. KS user

KS user TS Member

Ruger did make an unsingle trap gun for awhile.Not many around though.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Marketing a trap gun in the small, but crowded trap gun market would present any gunmaker a problem...how many times have you read posters on this forum voice concerns about SKBs and Cesar Guerinis not holding up? Best regards, Ed

15. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Flincher100; There was a double rifle made on the Red Label receiver. I saw one at a gunshop in Anchorage, Alaska some years ago. Seem like a local gunsmith did them and his work was excellent. Was either 30:06 or 45-70. Beautiful gun.

16. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

flincher100, double rifle shooters shoot no where near as many targets as trapshooters do. So a Ruger double rifle will hold together for that limited amount of shooting. A shooting buddy started shooting trap with his Red Label with a Gracoil installed. It beat him so bad he moved it to the back of his safe behind a dozen shotguns to that he won't even see it. It had beaten a sore on his face. He stopped shooting it and it healed. He wanted to buy a Ruger Trap gun. The seller let him shoot it. It beat the sore back open. He have it back and it's been for sale for about a year and it's still for sale.

17. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Its not an issue where the reciever isnt strong enough to withstand. Its all other working parts. Ruger parts are stamped, not machined, (save ejectors). Triggers are sloppy, not clean. When all these stamped parts start to wear in, problems begin...All fixable...Ruger stands behind the gun...Just aggrivation. I have a 20ga field gun that is as good a quail gun as I have ever owned. Light, quick and shoots great. Todd

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The question was "Why is Ruger not a player in the trap market?" KS user is correct Ruger did make a single barrel trap for a very short time. Why they stopped ??? The answer will have to come from Ruger.

It is kind of a shame the price wasn't bad and would have given the low end market a decent single at a decent price(under $3000)but Ruger just pulled it from the market with out a reasonable explaination IMO.

Bob Lawless

[​IMG]

19. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

A friend of a friend was a Ruger executive during the development of the Ruger
    trap gun. He sent me a demo gun to shoot for a few months. The gun worked well, and had all the adjustments that trapshooters want. I thought it shot
    very soft once it was adjusted for me. Like the Red Label, it was loose out
    of the box. It's just the way Ruger builds guns.

We sold about six of them, all in the 200-300 serial number range. I was told that the run would be 500 units, and I think that's about what was produced.

Dick Richards

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Same reason the high end makers do not make cheap beaters. It's very seldom any Manufacturer of any product will attempt to satisfy both the high and low end buyers.

Can you buy a 50.00 Rolex? Think about it, who would pay 10,000.00 for a Ruger ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.