1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is my REX II powder constantly changing weight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

My Rex II powder is constantly changing its weight when I reload. I measure everything; and use a Universal charge bar in a MEC, and I want everything just exactly correct in my loads if at all possible. However, I have now loaded two cans of cans of REX II, and really like it -- but it is about to drive me "crazier" concerning its measurement. I can get it set just perfect at 20.5 gr., and then a dozen or so shells later on it is measuring out at 21.5 gr., so I reset it back to 20.5 gr., and then before you know it the stuff is weighing in at 19.5 gr. I like to shoot REX II and want to know what is the secret to getting it to weigh out evenly. I use a baffle between the charge bar and the powder bottle -- do you think I should take the baffle out???

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Try grounding your loader. Check for obstructions in the powder channel.

Buz

3. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Yes, my loader is grounded and I cannot see any obstructions in my baffle tube -- also, I took the baffle tube out, and loaded 100 rounds and had the same problem with the REX II changing weight constantly - so, that did not do any good. I have not tried using two baffles but that is next!

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Did you say you had an adjustable charge bar?

I have had wonderful results with Rex over the years. It is about my favorite powder. I have no problems with powder charges wandering.

Of course, I use the stodgy old Mec bars and bushings.

5. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Could it just be the lot of powder I got??

6. randy-s

randy-s Member

Rex is a good powder. Before giving up on it you might try another powder or two. Randy

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Presuming your powder is ultimately being dropped from a bushing, some deviation in weight is going to happen. The only exception would be if you were loading a very fine ball type powder. Taking an average of 10 loads, a deviation of 1 grain should be acceptable unless you are already approaching the maximum pressure for the load you are trying to achieve.

Robert

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I tpically get a maximum spread of .3 gr with my setup.

You might take your shot bottle and use it for powder. When your switched bottle gets well coated, swap it again. This is the best method I have found to control the static demon.

I also use the plastic PC baffle.

9. kofh2

kofh2 Member

I too use REX powder and changed to a universal bar. After my swap of the bars I had the same varying powder weight issues. As it turned out I didn't have the bar adjusted properly so that it would ALWAYS go completely to the left (powder side)and drop a full charge. Readjusted, no more problems. Maybe?

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

How do you mean you adjusted the bar properly -- what is the difference that you are talking about.

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I think I see what you are saying about the charge bar going all the way to the left -- now the bolt head stops it, so I will look at that and think about a smaller bolt head? Thanks

12. kofh2

kofh2 Member

You shouldn't need to install a smaller screw. If adjusted properly the screw should just touch the end of the slot. It is a screw and not a bolt yes?

13. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Yes, it is the regular bolt that comes with the Universal charge bar -- I will look at that issue tomorrow -- thanks

14. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Remove both powder and shot bottles and get the loader where you can look directly down at it. Turn the bottles bracket back over where it would normally be during reloading. Push the handle to the bottom of the stroke and look in the hole where the powder bottle goes. Make sure the hole in the charge bar is centered. If it's not, adjust the NUT on the down rod that's right above station 4. It's position determines the length of travel of the charge bar.

Next: be consistent in the speed of travel of the loader's handle. Rex II is bulky, and if you try to go too fast sometimes you'll get varying loads.

15. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Remove both powder and shot bottles and get the loader where you can look directly down at it. Turn the bottles bracket back over where it would normally be during reloading. Push the handle to the bottom of the stroke and look in the hole where the powder bottle goes. Make sure the hole in the charge bar is centered. If it's not, adjust the NUT on the down rod that's right above station 4. It's position determines the length of travel of the charge bar.

Next: be consistent in the speed of travel of the loader's handle. Rex II is bulky, and if you try to go too fast sometimes you'll get varying loads.

16. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

17. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

18. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

I think, to the core of my being, I HATE computers.

Sorry about the 4 posts. Couldn't get the damned thing stopped.

Tom

19. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Thanks I will try that -- however, this is the electric model auto-mate so its rate of travel is determinded by the unit. I believe I will try a new Universal Charge Bar also -- the one I am using probably has close to 100,000 rounds through it and I have heard that it pays to change them out once in a while - but I have a problem seeing how they could wear out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.