Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why is LEAD so high? CHINA's to blame

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mrskeet410 
#1 ·
I read this article and it says a lot.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/07/06/cnmetal106.xml

#5 ·
Didn't we go over this shit for tha past 6 months? Its like people don't even skim through the threads and read the titles. There must have been 50 threads about how China is buying the lead.

No shit. Tell me some goood news for once like the US cracked 20 lead mines that have been capped for the past 20 years.

#8 ·
OK so I should have made the title. Why is Lead so high? IS CHINA TO BLAME? BTW who's fault is it that China has sent us tainted tooth paste and poisoned pet food? I do want to make it clear I am NOT prejudiced against anyone or any nation. And I do admit I am not very smart when it comes to economics.

#9 ·
Shortly after I started shooting trap in 1978, the price of shot rose to around $23 a bag. The reason then is the same as the reason today: lead is being purchased for nuclear shielding. There are a lot of nuclear power plants being built around the world. Lead is a commodity and very much affected by 'supply and demand' economics. Add to the situation the energy costs to deliver the commodity to end-users, and you should be able to see why I recently paid $26.99 each for two bags of 8.5 shot.

By the way, that $26.99 is a lot less painful today than $23 was back in 1980.

#14 ·
Jim Brown (the puller) - Good points. I remember that price shock. And I remember when shot broke $10/bag in the early 70s. It went from around $6.50/bag to ~$16/bag. But it came back down to under $10. I remember another surge and drop in addition to that and the one Jim Brown mentioned. Japan was the bad guy then...and unleaded gasoline???

This bump lasted longer and went higher than I expected.

But there is good news. Some guys at the club were trying the get a group together to rent a truck and drive to somewhere far far away to save maybe 10%. Why is that good news? Because everytime I was asked to join one of those ventures shot prices dropped within a year.

BTW - I always thought it made more sense to rent a truck and buy several tons when the price was LOW. But I never did. Thinking smart is easier than doing smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.