1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Why is it that trapshooters who are shooting their shotgun very well trade it off and get another brand, usually more expensive model? I've seen this happen locally many times and their scores drop. In this months Shotgun Sports, Average Ed has an article on a "Young Gun" who won 14 trophies at the Pennsylvania State shoot with his Beretta 682; now he is shooting a Kolar and his scores are not at the level he had with his Beretta! Yes, I've been guilty of this also. Biff

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Simple.. The grass is always greener on the other side. Guilty here too!!

Matt

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As Ron White has said many, many time: "You can't fix stupid"

Curt

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Beware of the person that has only 1 old gun to shoot.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Eric

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

great question, over the years i have seen some good young shooters decide to change to more expensive guns. usually some local hot shot see's a good young shooter and feels threanted by his scores and talks him into changing guns, plus offers if he changes to a certain gun, he could shoot with him and his buddies. the young guy thinks he will shoot as good as them, plus he will jump to a differnt social status at area gun clubs. i have seen it over and over again. i have seen shooters on the state trap team switch guns and never be heard from again. alot of shooters feel if they could get just more more target. by the way, usually when the shooter changes guns to a more expensive model, he starts hanging around with the high enders at clubs, and forgets about his old friends. there is a diffinite social status in the shootgun sports, either by the gun you shoot, or the people you shoot with. believe it, it's true.
    steve balistreri

7. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Well, scores may drop for a while, but come back after 5,000 to 10,000 rounds with the new gun. Averages then will be that one or two birds better.

8. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

I have also asked that question. I was with my father at the Grand probably 8 years ago. He is a very good shooter and always has been. He ran 200 in the singles then shot a 97 in the handicap from the 27 and the next thing I know he is buying a new gun. I couldn't believe it, his scores went down for a while and I was always there with the "I Told Ya So". Then he got the gun set like he wanted and ran about 1000 singles in a row and ran mutliple 100's in doubles then he ran the 100 from the 27 so I said "OK you were right".

Brent Huber

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The problem has to do with fit and balance. A new gun on its own without the proper balance and fit will not contribute to improved scores. Many shooters old gun does not fit but they have learned to fit their gun. In this instance it will take a few thousand rounds for most to see any improvement.

If the old gun fit and the new gun fits as well there should be little initial difference in scores.

Human nature some are tinkers and have to try something new all the time.

If it doesn't fit make it. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you start to shoot a lot over 10,000 targets a year make sure your shooting a gun with the longevity to last 10 years or get a new one.

Just my opinion Joe

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, Brent, that's great! When did he earn his Grand Slam???

11. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

Grand Slam was finished in 2005 or 2006.

Brent Huber

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Well, I was once told that high grade guns are great for trading for higher priced guns. I once saw a friend of mine shot an 870 field gun and was a AA shooter, then someone told him that he had to have a trap gun, he hasn't been the same since. In my opinion, shoot the gun that you shoot best as you really can't buy a good score. If you shoot a BT-99 the best, why spend 4X to buy the Perazzi? If you shoot the Perazzi the best, then why buy a Seitz? BT-100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.