1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it the warmer states do not have games

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have noticed from responses that the warmer states do not shoot anywhere near the games we shoot here in Ohio, Arizona is a good example, and followed by Tennessee according to shooters there.

Why don't you shooters in thoose states get started and shoot buddy shoots, Annie Oakleys, and 5 from the Driveway, and Miss & Outs like Bob Schultz started at Missouri Fall handicap?

50 Bird calcuttas 25 16s and 25 what you break 23 yd minimum so you do not need to resquad, do a Lewis class or pay 2 to 3 places 60/40 and 50/30/20 Competetion is the name of the game.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap shooters have very small brains and are easily confused. HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Great topic for a winter cabin fever research project; post the results!

Keller

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Too cold to shoot 100 target ATA events up here, so we shoot 50 bird races and games to keep those of us that can't afford to move south, shooting. Remember, targets in the air = cash in the bank for the gun clubs. Bill Malcolm

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why shoot games when we can register 3-400 targets.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There used to be games at Ben Avery on Friday nights that would draw a good crowd, then the Old Phoenix Club had them and a Steak/Fish fry on Friday after McGafee closed up ... There is a lot of traveling involved so most people avoid them and sooner or later they are no more ... Then you have to find someone who wants to cashier the games and listen to everyone complain that they got cheated out of $.15 when the night is over ... Been there done that, no thanks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

HMB,

Dynamite comes in small packages.

Having a BIG ol' head/brain doesn't mean anything other than you'd need a hat the size of a bucket to cover it. LOL

8. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I must admit I am kind of surprised that there isn't more discussion of Games on this forum. Perhaps I lack the dedication to the game of trap that some have but I know that if it wasn't for the Annie Oakleys that I shoot once or twice weekly I would probably move back to sporting clays as my primary interest. Shooting games for the past six or seven years has completely fascinated me. Seems like there is plenty to talk about in connection with such matters as to how to best connect on those "fours" or "fives" from the Annies line but I just don't see much of it here.. Just sayin'

9. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cashier??

Why make it complacated $10 or $15 to the club for birds and $2 for the pot when your shot out,first out collects pot. When it gets down to 4 you move to the fence and when it gets down to 2 shooters they split the pot to keep things moving.

Other games are just as easy if you want to play KEEP IT SIMPLE

John G.

I love the games.

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

WPT = BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

11. running bear

running bear Member

Lonshot, people who brag aren't as good as they think they are. You should keep your mouth shut.

Buck

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

At one time there was was an unofficial pot/game shooting circuit in SoCAl whereby if you chose, you could shoot games seven days/nights a week. In fact it was so popular, at one club we had so many teams, we to use two fields for the buddy shoots with the high scores from both fields going to the shoot offs. Annie's took an eternity, but the payouts were huge.

Overtime gun clubs gave way to development reducing shooting venues. Just this past year we were squeezed out of a club that held pot shoots for forty seven years because the club was forced to erect a shot screen and was afraid large shot would penetrate the fabric.

We still have pot shoots but the clubs are further apart making travel distance in some cases a hundred miles or more each way. Like ATA, pot shooting is a dying game as most participants are fifty and older. We have a small contingency of young shooters but they alone can't sustain the game and we don't seem able to attract a greater number of young shooters.

From my view, pot shooting is the most economical way to participate in shotgunning. The game is fast, challenging a kick to shoot and nothing but fun. You can shoot as many or as few games that suits you and you pocket. Don't be lead in to believing big shells are the only way to win at this game, it's not so even shooting from the out house, its always about skill...................

Surfer

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Lock and load Gary, see if anyone has the cajones to take you up on the challenge.

Rich

14. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Kingsburg Trap Club, (California) will have a 3 Day Pot Shoot April 12th,13th & 14th. Mostly Annies.

There is a Pot Shoot almost every night at the California State shoot at Kingsburg, Calif. after the days events are done. They can shoot until 10pm. There can be 10 to 30 or more shooters on the line. They start the friday before the State Shoot and usualy go to the next Friday night. Big Jim

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Content deleted - you'd probably ought to take a chill pill. If I were you DIGDON, more of this and you WILL lose your membership here.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have had HapMctweeks tell me and our friend Jerry in W.VA that they just don't shoot games in Arizona, he misses them, Hap was a Hell of a Games and Buddy shooter when he was here in Ohio.

And you guys in California it is nice to hear of your Annies after you shoot registered. With your weather out there you could shoot 7 days a week.

I used to shoot 6 days a week could not find any place to shoot on Monday nights.

Most calcuttas were with in 60 mile radius of where I lived, Delaware, Bellefontaine, Green County,Yankee Hill, Chauncy, Rio Grande, Bucyrus, a little farther was Middletown, Jaquas, Millersburg, Indian Lake, Lynchburg, Hilltop, Madison Lake, McConnellsville, Tri County, Marietta GC, Cowboy Clayton Staten's, Mount Blanchard, Newport, Hepburn, Monroe,and Tri-City in Kentucky, This is just a few of the places I shot in Ohio and Ky.

Hap come and shoot at Charlies when you get to Ohio w/ Jerry and I.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. John55

John55 Active Member

Here in southern IL, I shoot two nights per week. Both clubs have game events before the main event, which is a 50 bird derby. Games are typically 10 bird matches, protections, Annie Oakley and 3 bird long shoots. These all have a good following and are a welcome change of pace to the alternative, which are 25 bird practice rounds, ie BORING. These clubs also have a Sunday shoot once a month through the fall and winter months. Same program as the night shoots. Great fun and lots cheaper and easier than registered shoots.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The guys who used to be the game shooters are shooting sporting clays.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A couple of facts and I'll let this thing go. 1. You set the rules for the grudge match. 2. I wasn't offered a reduction this year. 3. I haven't bragged about my shooting. 4. I don't give a rat's back side of what you have done yesterday. 5. I guess you don't want to accept my Ohio state challenge so we will never know. 6. I used Fed. 1225 fps for both events in the grudge, BFD. 7. I have never broke a 100 at caps, broke a 200 at the Grand, but never a 100. 8. You keep throwing out challenges at your dumb games but you don't want anything to do with ATA targets. 9. I have told you before quit posting stupid stuff and I'll stay off. 10. You plead proverty but buy a new gun quite often. So what is holding you back. One calcutta win would finance your shooting.

Try and have a good day - I know I will.

Don

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mr Bryant, are you the best Annie's and partner for buddy/protection shoots in the state of Ohio? If not the best are you in the top five?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.