1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why is it harder to shoot skeet with a 20 or 28

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

why is it harder to shoot consistant scores with a 20 and 28 gauge in skeet. I use a 12 gauge ruger and shoot fairly well with it, 23 and 24's sometimes a 25.
    These are good scores for me anyhow.

I have been using a 1 oz load, and I have been shooting for about 2 years now.
    I just can't figure out why I can't shoots as consisitantly with the 20 and 28 gauge. The shot amount isn't that much different that I thought it would make a difference. I can understand shooting a .410 would be a big difference.

there are days when I can shoot the sub gauges good and other days when it's just shamful. The 20 is a xs sheet, with a 30 inch barrel, the 28 a 525 with a 26 inch.

I just might be expecting a bit to much out of myself,but I just love shooting the 20 and 28, but just get discouraged with my shooting sometimes. I should probley just shoot and have fun.

any help.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The reason is that you are using 3 different guns. Good skeet shooters have one 12 guage over/ under that is tubed for the smaller guages. They shoot the same gun for all the guages, and usualy use the 20 guage in the 12 guage and 20 guage events. HMB

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

as HMB pointed out- different guns

most people shoot the 28 and 20 better than 12 actually- casual shooters that is

those guns must not fit you or the dynamics are bad for you

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder how you'd do with a nearly identical Ruger in 20ga and 28ga?

I found in trap, at least for singles and doubles, that my scores with my 20ga 1187 were the same as with my 12ga 1187, because both felt similar and had the same POI. The main difference was weight, which affected quickness of swing. The grips were the same, because I retrofitted a 12ga monte carlo stock onto the 20ga. Scores initially were down a bit, but picked up as I got used to the livelier handling.

Many skeet shooters shoot, or used to shoot, 1100s, of which the 20, 28 and 410 are the same exterior stocks and receiver, while the 12ga is larger.

In your case, though, tubes make more sense.

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

XS guns fit differently than 525's. I think 525's have a bit more drop at the comb. ....Rick

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

It must be gun fit and balance. In the "olden" days you could shoot a sub guage in say the 12 ga events and many great skeet shooters shot a 20 or even a 28 because they shot them better than the 12. Now I believe all events are guage specific.

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

NSSA Rules, Section 2, B:

1. Gauge Specifications

a. Twelve gauge events shall be open to all guns of 12
    gauge or smaller, using shot loads not exceeding one
    and one-eighth (1-1/8) ounces.

b. Twenty gauge events shall be open to all guns of 20
    gauge or smaller, using shot loads not exceeding seveneighths
    (7/8) of an ounce.

c. Twenty-eight gauge events shall be open to all guns
    of 28 gauge or smaller, using shot loads not exceeding
    three-quarters (3/4) of an ounce.

d. Four-ten events shall be open to all guns of .410 bore
    or smaller using shot not exceeding one-half (1/2)
    ounce.

e. A gun of larger gauge, which has been converted to take
    a smaller gauge shell may be used in an event for which
    it has been converted providing that the shell itself
    complies with the rule requirements for that event

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you shoot 7/8 oz in a 12, that's a 20 guage load.

However, my registered averages with the 20 and 28 were BOTH better than my 12 guage average.

And I was shooting a 4 barrel set at the time, so it's all the same gun.

Don't think you can make another gun exactly the same as the one you shoot well. Been There, done that. My 303 after much labor got to the same dimensions as my Citori. Can't shoot it worth a hoot.

A 3 barrel SKB is on my wish list. Or a steal on a tube gun.

HM

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

LP.. who.. as of today 400 straight at the mini-world does not shoot 12 gauge at all.. he shoots his 20 gauge for both 12 and 20 events.. He's run 1000 straight in a 28 gauge..and holds the world record for doubles at I think 700+.. It's all about fit..and ability.. At skeet distances..anything over 7/8's of #9's is overkill..

10. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Skeet is a mind game. Any time you are changing guns you are creating an opportunity for doubt to creep in. If you like the Ruger, consider getting it tubed and shooting the 20 in both 12 gauge and 20 to keep the weight of the gun the same in all gauges. That is what most of the top skeet shooters do. 20 ga. is plenty for skeet. (I am AA in 20 ga. and A/B in every thing else...I will take my own advice next season and shoot the same gun for all). Have Fun most of all - it's just a game, and sure beats what we should be doing.

11. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Maybe you are thinking about it too much, trying to measure the leads and maybe riding the targets a little farther than normal. Thinking and skeet don't mix. I found that shooting the 28ga for the 12,20,28 not only improved my 12 and 20 averages, but my 28ga average also came up. You improve your scores the same way you get to Carnegie Hall...practice practice practice.
    pg

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I have a LOT higher averages with the 28 and the .410 than with the 20 or the 12. Go figure.

For me....I think its the mental side of the game. I have an ounce or 7/8th ounce of shot...I don't have to try that hard. LOST. Ooooppps.

I took the Shima clinic two weeks back and promptly shot my personal high with both the small bores. 95 in each gun.

What he said still resonates with me: "Skeet is a game you shoot with preplanned moves. Shoot YOUR game YOUR way."

Meaning you mount the gun the same, hold in the proper spot for that shot, call and break the bird IN THE SAME PLACE EVERYTIME.

Traps a little different...you have to mount the gun, call pull and see where its going, then make a move and break it. Make a bad move, its lost.

There's no drama at skeet. High two is high two is high two is high two. Do it the SAME everytime. Of course, that's the trick.

Its a fun game...an interesting diversion from trap.

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For me while I have had some good runs with a 20ga, the wieght dif, the mechanical Feel also gets me after a while.

Shoot, a four barrel set where the maker, maker made all the barrels to balance the same and regulated the patterns to be as close as possible, and your head will be the only thing in the way of the different guages shooting the same scores.

Al

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Before there were tube-set and barrel-sets, skeeters used four different guns. Even the best shot like you, that is erratically. It wasn't until barrel-sets, tube-sets that scores in the leveled out.

Four guns are fun, but not the best route to great scores. What's more important to you, great scores or more fun?

15. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

More 100 srraights shot in skeet competition with 28's than with 20 gauges. Several skeeters told me that the 28 has a superior pattern. Don't know about 28's compared to 12's.Jim

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

410Jim - World shoot this week. I'll post numbers on 100x100s.

28 gauge pattern myth is a clubhouse myth.

Mini-world (prelims) 100x100s

12 gauge - 58

20 gauge - 53

28 gauge - 44

410 bore - 17

Main Events

12 gauge - 43 (150x150 in 12 gauge)

20 thru 410 is 100x100

20 gauge - 53

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Check any Skeet Shooting Review. They list the 100x100s each month. 12 gauge list is longer than the 20, which is longer thatn the 28.

Oct-2010

12 gauge - 15.5 column inches,

20 gauge - 11.5 column inches,

28 gauge - 10.5 column inches,

410 bore - 1.5 column inches,

Doubles - 1 column inch.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, you have a 4 inch barrel lenth difference in both your smaller guns and don't even list the lenth of your ruger!. That combined with 3 different guns and weights, different trigger pulls and two very different guns. Not to mention that the mental part of the subguages takes abit of getting used to as well. Try to forget about it, have fun and try to stay loose but stay focused at the same time. forget about the gauge and focus on the target and block out the rest. You will become more consisant as you progress. Give it time. Now if you really want to compete in the sport than you will more than likely have to get a your 12 ga. tubed. This will take out all the differences in your guns. But theres nothing wrong with enjoying your guns and getting used to shooting them. They say it takes a few thousand rounds to get used to a new gun. Just give it time, stay focused and relax. Oh Yeh, stop thinking and just shoot. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

19. msmith

msmith Member

Many skeet shooters including All American team shooters shoot the 20 gauge in the 12 gauge events including doubles, so it is hard to tell just going by numbers. I was @ the NY State skeet shoot and I would say about 50% shot 20 gauge in the 12 gauge event. Mike

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Check into finding used Briley "Companion" 20 or 28 tubes for your Ruger. Changing guns with different barrel lengths/fit etc. won't help getting consistent scores as others have noted. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

harder to shoot 12 or 22