1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it? 7/8 vs. 1 1/8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Huntin'Fool, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Why is it that my buddy and I who both have K-80's shoot 7/8 oz load better then 1 1/8 oz loads? It kind of bothers me as you would think with more lead you would break more birds. Yes the recoil is less, but that never bothered me to begin with. My buddy might be slightly crazy well trapcrazy...lol. It is in his head that he cant shoot 1 1/8 oz, I still shoot 1 1/8oz but I can break 24 in the cold and wind with 7/8 but 22 with 1 1/8 Im sure it was just the way things ended up but its interesting to think about.

Any thoughts?

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

shoot what works for you, I think the 7/8 cranked up in speed, kick more than my 1145fps 1 1/8 oz. loads.

3. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

You thought recoil nevered bothered you, but now its seems like it did. Shooting a comfortable load, or gun for that matter is more important than lead volume.

4. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

I am shooting 1200 7/8 and 1200 1 1/8, im going to toy with the idea of 1250 7/8

5. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I started shooting 7/8's with huntnfool to basically conserve lead and get more shells to proactice with. I used to shoot 1145 1 1/8 oz shells mostly and loaded a bunch of 7/8's @ 1200 fps. Call me crazy but my scores went up on average 3-4 birds. I started shooting 7/8oz all the time and love how they shoot, no recoil etc. Today I shoot 1 1/8 and shot terrible 32/50 only had one box of 7/8 and shot a 21 with it. It was windy and I was shooting different loads, different sunglasses etc. I have no excuse to go from a 44-45 average to a 32, I guess it just happens. I have also been trying to break in a new gun a k80 which I am very sporadic with as well. I'm just curious I wonder if the lighter loads pattern better, I noticed that it doesn't matter if I shoot my XT, K80 or ljutic I shoot the best scores on average with the lighter load. I only have one problem, I have 1500 shells loaded at 1 1/8 oz!

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Trapcrazy,

A lighter load will not pattern any better. It is quite possible you shoot with more concentration when using the lighter load as you know you have less shot to get the job done.

It easy to put the loads on paper to answer your question but I advise not to do it. When you see how the 7/8 pattern looks you will lose all confidence in it and understand why you are shooting the scores you are shooting. I suspect you are also shooting a modified choke.

I assure that more shot is better. If there was any advantage to 7/8 loads the top shooters would be shooting those loads.

Don Verna

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You two guys are going to drive yourselves crazy with this type of stuff. It was fun shooting with you guys today. Gotta love the wind. It's windy all winter long up on that old hill. When I see you guys on the 23'd have all your 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. bars, wads and shells boxed up for me to hold on to for a 6 month period. I'll give it back to you in June. In June I'll hand them back and you'll say "keep it, don't need it, won't use it." Good luck, good shooting, Spank

8. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I shoot a super full choke in both my ljutic and K80, In my XT I use to shoot a standard full. I agree spanky, I won't dismantle those loaded 1 1/8th yet!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

D.Verna, I disagree. They should put their load on a pattern board at 30-40 yards, then shoot 1 1/8 oz out of a full choke and count the pellets in the 22" core.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Trap, if I remember correctly your breaks with the heavier loads today were alot harder and powdered birds more than the 7/8 oz. loads. I realize a chip, crack, quartering or powdering a bird all counts the same.

Seriously, and correct me if I'm wrong but when shooting a lighter load wouldn't it be more in line if you shoot quicker. I'm not implying you take long to shoot. It seem to me that I've shot with guys who shoot lighter payloads and they seem to be quicker shooters.

Again, I'm not implying that you're a slow shooter. My thought is if the payload is less, and you shoot quicker, the birds break closer, and your choke stays tighter, hence there is less shot spread and a smoked target. Am I wrong in my thinking and logic. Good shooting, Spank.

11. RonC

RonC TS Member

I use 7/8 for practice and 1 1/8 oz for competition because I do believe more is better--thats a belief not sure about reality. What I do know is that my 7/8 oz loads at 30 yds, the beginning of the breaking zone for singles, pattern the same as 1 1/8 oz loads at 40 yds, the distance the 27 yd distance. Have had good practice luck at 21 yds with 7/8. I use only 7 1/2 shot as well.

Ron

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Actually the phenomena of 7/8 (or even lighter 3/4 oz) loads, essentially a 20 ga load in a 12 ga bore, has been studied quite extensively, and even discussed at length here on the forum. From the many studies, it appears that the 7/8 oz load does pattern "better" than a 1 1/8 oz load. Note that this does not mean that it puts more "pellets on the target" than the 1 1/8 load, but it does mean that a 7/8 oz load will be much closer to the 1 1/8 oz load in number of pellets in the proverbial 22 inch pattern center than you might expect. That relatively high percentage, coupled with the normally much lighter recoil of the 7/8 oz load generally seems to explain why so many do as well as, if not better, than when shooting the heavier loads. Another factor is fatigue. Shooting a number of rounds, regardless of how the individual might feel he/she is doing, is simply less fatiguing with lighter loads, which for some likely contributes to better overall scores. As for why most still stick with the 1 1/8 oz loads. Partially through inertia I suspect. People don't like change. An partly because, in the final analysis, the 1 1/8 oz load does put more shot on target, albeit not as much as most think, and those few extra pellets may well be the key to one or two targets over the long haul as the 1 1/18 oz will, of course, provide more pellets at the fringes of the pattern simply because there are more pellets going out the muzzle. Significant in competition. Still, for many, the lighter load can be helpful, can lead to better overall shooting, especially in practice, and of course, saves reloading money. Thus, many of us have found the joy of shooting these lighter loads, at least on the practice field.

Jim R

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm a self declared expert and I think the larger shells are throwing your gun out of balance. Probably at the end of your move to the target the extra weight forward is causing you to lurch forward and drop the muzzle.

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Spend $55 and read Dr. Jones book. See what you can learn from 2500 patterns and good scientific methods.

jim brown

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I always get a kick of something Bruce buck said to me, "there's a 7/8 load out in front of every 1&1/8".

I've been shooting reduced loads for about 10 years. I do so because it's what I like to shoot. I agree with every hypothesis on light v heavy, and heavy v light. If I miss a bird because of a light load it just gets a 0 right next to the one I moved too fast on, the one I never saw and the one I shot behind.

LOL,
    Kip

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you truly do better with 7/8 than 1-1/8, then just relax and consider it a gift from God. You just saved 22% on shot!

-Gary

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Less is more, less is more.

Chips are good, chips are good.

Keep those thoughts in your head just as you call for the target.

Success is assured.

Seriously, put the K-4 choke in and learn to point the gun. You are shooting C scores and worrying about the wrong things. As a C shooter, a K-4 full choke is likely too tight for you but it will teach you to shoot. When shooting for score, you will benefit from a more open choke and 1 1/8 oz loads. (Been there - done that)

You are at a level where a two day lesson will have far more benefit than worrying about your loads.

Do not let your score on 50 rounds fool you. We all have good days and bad days. Look at your averages over many rounds.

Numbers don't lie. A 1 1/8 oz load will give more pellets and more dead birds than a 7/8 oz load. But, if you think a lighter load is better, use it. The game is 90% mental. It will may be "better" for you, and other recoil sensitive shooters; but it is not the norm and the wrong load for most shooters.

Don Verna

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Started trying 7\8 oz in 1994 or 95 when I got some wads at the Grand in Vandalia, never went back to 1&1\8 they worked just fine for me, as noted above the fringe is a mite thin so if you break very many with the fringe the 7\8 oz. load may not be a good choice, but they do make you point a little closer & once you get used to less fringe area I think I (you) break almost as many. I have never broken 100 st. with either load but 99s with both. Haven't shot much registered trap the last several years but still make it to the local club a few times a month just for fun, did have a 50 st. last week with 7\8. I'm on SS so don't have a lot of extra money the past 6 years. Try-em you might like-em, I do. Ross Puls

19. psfive

psfive Member

A lighter load may not pattern better in your gun. Having said that the same load will not pattern the same in all guns. This load is good in this gun but not so good in that gun. A good patterning load in that gun may not be so good in this gun. A pattern board unlike a clay target "hard" to miss. So load up some loads and "hit" the pattern board. See what each will do when blown out of the tube. Pick the best one and try to put that pattern on a target. It is well worth the time spent. It's the same principal as shooting a high powered rifle at a target. Some loads are just better in some guns. But you would not go big game hunting without knowing where your rifle was hitting. Would you? Paul in Nebraska.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Huntin'Fool, Don't over think it. Less recoil will keep your head on the gun better on every shot, shot after shot. People are more sensitive to recoil than they think. Just because it doesn't bother there shoulder, most don't think it hurts them in other ways. If it works better for you great. Works better for me as well. If you don't believe us then you try it yourself for 3 months and see how it works for you!!! If not, well then how can you respond??? Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.