1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is Booze So Important To Shooters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Why is booze so important to shooter when shooting? I did drink when I was younger but with all that is going on as I have gotten older I don't drink any more. I'm always driving, I'm shooting and then work. I also don't need to go back into the bottle for any reason. So why do people wish to drink and shoot and then drive home? To me that endangering shooters and people on the road. Can't they just stop till they are home? Saftey first before drinking not drinking then safety.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Who says booze is so important to shooters? By who's standards? As long as they drink after shooting who cares?

Here is a classic example of someone who wants to impose their wishes on others.

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

"Here is a classic example of someone who wants to impose their wishes on others"

Not so. Drinking and driving or DUI is illegal most places. Oh, I know there are those who know they are not affected by a drink or two.

4. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Hate to say it but if it was not for beer and beer revenue my club would have been closed up 10 years ago. I and a lot of people that are serious about shooting would have quit for lack of close place to shoot. Now of course we keep a close eye on it , there was an issue 15 years ago it was nipped before it became an problem. For this club to make it on shooting alone { wich I would like} without beer can not and will not happen.

5. pdq

pdq Member

Here in the Philly area, of the 3 clubs where I shoot none serve alcoholic beverages and in the 7 years I've been actively shooting I've never seen anyone drinking before, during, or after shooting at any of them.

Although I know it's fun to throw out blanket statements, this one doesn't seem to apply to all shooters.

Pete

6. RAScott

RAScott Member

I believe that this sport is more than shooting it is about the people that you meet in the sport , the comrodery and the memories and the stories. I dont think it is so important, but i dont see the problem in "AFTER" the days events having an ice cold beer or adult beverabe of choice with a few friends. Within reason. Just like golf.

If you dont believe in having a beverage after a shoot, you are more than free to pack up your car and drive home. Other than that, "Nice cast".

Bob S

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Not so. Drinking and driving or DUI is illegal most places. Oh, I know there are those who know they are not affected by a drink or two."

That is true DUI is illegal but even DUI has a limit before it becomes illegal!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Because they don't flinch as often after drinking enough beer!!

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob, good answer.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

First of all the term"booze" is usually associated with whisky, vodka, brandy, etc. I shoot the vast majority of my targets in Wisconsin. There are very few if any clubs that do not serve beer. (Most do not serve "booze"). As "federalpaper" states, a club would have a difficult time staying open, without the revenue derived from selling beer, soda, food, etc. If they didn't have these extra avenues to make a profit, they would have to drastically raise their shooting rates. The club purchases a can of beer for $.75 and sells it for $1.50. That type of profit pays the majority of expenses. Having a cold beer with your fellow shooters AFTER the shoot is over, for some shooters, to include myself, is enjoyable. Using the "Auctioneers" analogy; all taverns should be closed; due to the fact people have to drive to get to one.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Booze is no more important to shooters than it is to golfers, football fans, or someone at a strip club.. when you have a gathering of grown men someone is going to be drinking a cool-off.. its been going on since that tramp drank the posionous grape juice in the cellar back in bibical times and it will go on until the earth ends.. its not just shooters..

12. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

To me after the day events when your guns are all packed away, then by all means enjoy a cold one. If you don't have the self control to stop before driving home then I guess you deserve a DUI. As for the clubs selling it, I wish the one that I attended did, but there is a bar about a 1/4 mile down the road, and we usaually will stop and enjoy 1 or 2 before moving on. Anyone drinking before or during, should not be allowed to touch a weapon in my opinion.

John MI

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thinking that booze is all that important to shooters is an assumption on your part and assumptions are usually wrong for the most part ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

To some people drinking is just part of having fun and relaxing. Personally, I find it a bit shocking that one of the shooting sports (Trapshooting) would put up with it.

When I go to a shoot, if it's more than about 100 miles away I normally fly there in my own airplane & when the day's shooting is over I fly home again. Maybe shoot management condones shooting and drinking & the ATA just winks and looks the other way? ..........the FAA does NOT! Like ZERO tolerance....if you're caught flying within 8 hours of having consumed ANY amount of alcohol you can expect to have your certificate revoked.

John C. Saubak

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Pete, your not opening your eyes far enough, and not shooting enough clubs to see it happen. Oleo and I both know at least 1 person who was a top shelf shooter who couldn't shoot for shit unless he had a 1/2 load to start off. I know of 3 clubs in my area (don't throw registered) that approve of drinking and shooting, and also sell beer to the shooters. Last year, during a Sunday league shoot at one of these clubs a shooter was so inebriated his gun discharged about 10 feet in front of him. He was staggering and stumbled forward enough to step off the 16 yard pad onto the grass. At least 2 shooters complained to the puller who is part of the shoot management. He determined the guy did not drink, and it was only a problem with the medicine he was taking. The bottom line was they continued to shoot, and the jackasses who complained about it continued to finish their 50 targets with him.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Childish people have childish needs and habits. Unfortunate, but true.

There are several folks locally I will not get on the line with, because they are not mature enough to control their drinking. YMMV

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The first part of a problem is admitting there is one. Sadly, too few understand the issue.

Yes, I also love a few beers-after I shoot!!

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For some guys, the club experience includes both shooting and socializing after the shooting. Having a few brews with the guys after shooting is a big part of the fun. If you aren't into that so be it but you are missing out on some good times.

Shooting and drinking don't go together though and that is from a performance as well as a safety standpoint. The rules in registered target shooting are clear on this and I have seen them enforced.

So there you have it, why booze at the club is desired and also the when.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Auctioneer,

Do you even shoot ATA Trap?
    Many shooters stay for the program in their RV's,they don't drink and drive, they don't drink while they are shooting, they may or may not afterwards, That's their choice in this free country. Many are veterans and fought for freedoms we all enjoy. I see you smoked for years, what harm have you done with second hand smoke to others peoples lungs? How does me having a beer in my RV after the shoot affect you?

I have not noticed drunks on the line at big venues and I shoot a lot, they will be DQ if caught. There is a zero tolerence for this behavior. I do not support drinking on the line period.

If you are talking about dinky club shoots thats a different story and you have the choice to avoid those clubs you feel scaired at.

Like I posted in the other thread, there has been no record of serius injury due to a shooter drinking in the history of the ATA over 100yrs. And this record should continue with strict enforcment of the rule in place.

20. dhip

dhip Active Member

Makes the other guys miss quicker

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.