1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I will not lighten triggers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take a look at this site where a bunch of folks were sued because a fellow loaded a rifle in his home, was totally unaware of muzzle direction, and proceeded to damage his house and himself. If too long for the block above, thisis the site.

This is where our concept of responsibility has gone. "I pulled a stupid, but it was not my fault".

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/hines_v_remington.txt

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No wonder factory rifles have bajillion pound trigger pulls. What an idiot.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

In 2004 while bear hunting, I had a totally stock unmodified 700 discharge when I pushed the safety forward so I could open the bolt to remove the chambered round.

I contacted Remington through an attorney. Remington's reply was that accumulated debris in the action could cause such a malfunction. The action was clean.

Morgan

4. jappo

jappo TS Member

I had the same thing happen to me with a stock factory Remington 700 in 270cal about 20 years ago. About 5 years ago I had another guy I worked with telling me he had the same thing happen and sent his back in and they made some change. He was told that there was an original malfunction in some of them. The way he talked was that it was something that had been identified and a repair/change was needed to keep them from doing it. But from the way it sounds above is that Remington doesn't want to admit it for liability reasons. You might get others on here that have had the same thing happen to reply and see if anyone else knows of a recall.

5. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Captain Morgan,

"I contacted Remington through an attorney"

What an A$$.. YOU are the reason we have the country we have.

Why didn't you contact them yourself? Did you have a 'smith look at it?

If it was unaltered, then it was probably 1 or more of several things. Was it cold and the "clean action" had been lubed to much?

BOB

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I dont' see where trigger pull weight has anything to do with this....this guy is just moron for loading a live shell in his garage and pointing toward a large stack of volitile chemicals....the kind of guy who would light a match inside a gasoline tank to be able to see and then sue when it blew his heiny up...some people just need to be removed from the gene pool..in ages past, predators would have taken care of the mentally inmparied such as this cretin.

7. Bob M

Bob M Member

Remington 700s made before a certain date only had two positions for their safety, on and off. The on position locked the bolt and the trigger. You could not unload the rifle without making the trigger 'live'. It is exceedingly easy to have the weapon fire when flipping the safety to off if there is ANY pressure on the trigger, especially if the triggers has been lightened.

There was a factory re-call a few years ago to change the older 700s to the new 'safety on but the bolt isn't locked' style. I chose not to send my 7mm Mag back because it has such a wonderful trigger. I didn't want to take chances with any alterations, but I know there is a risk with the trigger and I am extra careful. My choice, my fault if anything goes sour.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The U.S. has about 5% of the worlds population, we also have close to 70% of lawyers in the world.

It's no wonder our politicians (a great % who are lawyers) have put in place laws allowing suits for any and everything.

I'm ashamed of most of us for allowing this to happen to our great country! Look at the money involved above? Who made all the money on an idiots decision? The guy was a total IDIOT!! period! Hap

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Should have been thrown out just for practice of poor gun handling safty. Muzzle end of a gun should always be pointed in a safe direction. Pointed at Gun powder is not safe!!!! My dad always told me. Never point a gun at anything you dont intend to destroy or kill. Discharges can and do happen.

10. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

Ah. The old, "I'm stupid, so you should pay defense"...

11. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Much like the coffee incident at Micky-D.........Roger

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I remember this incident like it was yesterday. Tom Meredith at Sinclair did all of my Benchrest bedding and stock work. From that moment forward, Fred Sinclair ceased to do gunsmithing and began to focus on stock work, plus manufacture of accuracy related tools, equipment and supplies, and went on to prosper. He also changed the name from Sinclair, Inc to Sinclair International. I saw a recent announcement that Sinclair International was just acquired by Brownells.

Regarding the trigger, it wasn't a factory 700 trigger. It was a Burns adjustable Benchrest trigger. Notice it took about eleven years to settle.

Hines must be one dumb cuss.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bob M, quote: "There was a factory re-call a few years ago to change the older 700s to the new 'safety on but the bolt isn't locked' style. I chose not to send my 7mm Mag back because it has such a wonderful trigger. I didn't want to take chances with any alterations, but I know there is a risk with the trigger and I am extra careful. My choice, my fault if anything goes sour."

And, I'll bet you're not a dumbass who points the muzzle in an unsafe direction while it's loaded. That's what this jackoff did. Broke the number one rule about firearms - CONTROL THAT MUZZLE!

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I really hope this guy was never allowed to shoot firearms in a competitive manner again, and was blackballed from the gun clubs in his area.

15. nipper

nipper TS Member

Personal responsibility--now way--its not my fault,i also didnt include i was drunk as well.

Bill

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"What an A$$.. YOU are the reason we have the country we have."

And you, sir, are free to cuddle up with champion II and pack your whining conservative asses off to whatever country suits you better!! And, frankly, I don't give a rat's tail feathers about what either of you think of how I conduct my business.

Morgan

17. Goose28313

Goose28313 TS Member

I just read the case brief and WHAT AN IDIOT!!!. I think we can all agree accidents happen (just ask his parents), but when it comes to firearms, it's not an accident it's stupidity in this case.

18. larryjk

larryjk Member

I do trigger work, but refuse to put exceptionally light triggers on rifles. There is a certin type of shooter that feels he has to have a lighter trigger than his buddy. Most of them don't have any idea of what a 2 lb. trigger is like and don't know how to pull the trigger. There is a good reason most triggers are at 4 lbs. or more. A three pound trigger is very good on most larger rifles (.270 and up). The amount of sear engagement is also critical. There are a lot of guys out there doing trigger jobs that have no idea what they are doing.

19. Bob M

Bob M Member

Brian,

Some of my buddies might disagree with you about that 'dumbass' comment, but I was taught the same rule as maclellan1911 along with 'NEVER trust any mechanical safety'. Dad was very firm about both.

20. incognito

incognito TS Member

Morgan didn't go on a bear hunt. He's so soft he can't even breath a little wood smoke without whining. No way he'd make it in a bear camp unless they coddled him to a lodge somewhere every night. And yes, his posts show him to be an a$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.