1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I need an AR15 and a 30 round mag

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by omgb, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have lived through 3 earthquakes and two serious fires. I live in SoCal. In all three of the EQs the police and fire were unavailable for several days. hell, the damned I5 freeway into Santa Clarita was destroyed and the Old Road was blocked. We were cut off for almost a week, Water was limited, no power, sketchy phone service and no way out and no place to run to. The looting started almost right away as did the roving gangs. In the 94 quake we blocked off our cul-de-sac and let no one in except residents. If we had been attacked as the downtown businessmen were during the King riots, I would have needed that AR and that high cap mag.

I will not be a victim if I can help it.

2. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Well during the earthquake did you have to use it? Just curious. No criticism intended.

3. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Whether he had to use it or not is really immaterial....what is important is that he HAD IT AVAILABLE in the unlikely event he had to use it for self-defense....I much rather HAVE IT and not need it....THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT!

There are times when one calls 911 and NOBODY SHOWS UP!

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

It has been reported people used AR's during the LA riots and after Katrina to guard property from criminals taking avadvantage of the chaos that insued. I cannot provide any reference, but I think it was an NRA spokesman that claimed it.

5. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Rick,

It was in the Korean neighborhoods/storefronts.....

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why do I need a 30 round mag? Because most of the mags with larger capacity aren't reliable enough.

Just like why do I carry a .45? Because they don't make a .46.

7. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

You dont have to justify yourself to anyone If you want one thats up to you not them.If they dont want one fine But dont tell me I dont need one

8. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Because I want one. And that's all you should have to say. I have one never shot anybody with it hope I never have to. Rich

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Did I use it? I've only drawn down on a human twice and both times were with a handgun. I crried the AR with me when guarding the street up to our cul-de-sac. I could be seen very plainly but those who "wandered" by. I consider that "using" it even though I never fired a shot or pointed it at another human.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Well during the earthquake did you have to use it? Just curious. No criticism intended."

There are 1000's if not 100's of 1000's of police officers who have never needed to use their gun. So using your asinine reasoning, should we then take their guns away???

11. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is the 2nd ammendment was drafted to protect the citizenry against an oppressive government.

When that occurred small arms were black powder flintlocks. One shot at a time.

I would always want to retain SMALL ARMS capabliity that would match the governments.

12. Garry

Garry Active Member

From a former Marine.

"I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men/women in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family.”

Enough said!!!

13. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Garry

Well said

14. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Grntitan, I just ask a question. Did not imply anything else. Mountainsteve

15. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

How about just because it is my right? John

16. grntitan

Mountainsteve,

Your previous statements and overall stance on similar issues gave me a pretty good idea where you were going with that question. I guess if you say not so, then I apologize. Can't believe I said that.

However I still say deep down it was exactly where you were headed.

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

grntitan,,,,,,looks like you may have been right:

"Subject: White House talks don't include NRA
    Email:
    Date: Sat, Jan 05, 2013 - 11:25 PM ET
    Website Address:
    I was a member of Company D, 151, 75th Airborne Rangers in Viet Nam in 68 & 69. I used an AR 16, M79 grenade launcher, M60 Machine Gun, Claymore Mines and called in artillery and air strikes. Does the second ammendment give us the right (or need) to own those weapons as well. Wake up boys. "For those who have fought for it life has a flavor the protected will never know". I suspect most of you have never fought for it. We don't need AR's & AK's to defend ourselves in the United Staes of America."

18. grntitan

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know little about the AR series of rifles. I only know they have been "hot rodded" into accuracy. I know one friend in Missouri who plans to use his AR when hunting feral pigs; the ferals are prolific. He has some kind of accurate AR. I am not sure if it is 30 caliber, do they come in 30 caliber? I am also surprised that the Mini-30 by Ruger didn't catch on long ago, if accurized, for varmint control or for pig hunting.

I suppose time will tell..all I know is that feral pigs yield tasty meat!

20. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

I was a CHP officer in Los Angeles at the tme of the Rodney King riots. At that time, we had our duty sidearms and Remington 870 shotguns. A few cars had Ruger Mini 14's, but this was prior to us being issued AR15's. Trust me, every one of us who owned personal AR15's or AK47's with high capacity magazines were carrying those weapons with the full knowledge of our commanders. The deterrent value of those "evil" black guns was worth the possibility of getting an adverse action for carrying an unauthorized weapon. And I did not hear of any of our guys getting dinged for them. I still have my AR15 in retirement, and hope I never need to use it for anything other than range time, but believe that any American citizen of sound mind should be able to arm themselves with a similar weapon. As we used to say, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.