1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I like "Dirty" Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I always find it a little funny when I hear people choosing not to use a powder simply because it leaves a little soot. I, for one, like dirty powders. I am not as anal about cleaning my guns as my friends will attest so when I do finally clean it I want to see dirty patches---lots of dirty patches!! I want crud on my hands and running down both arms and dripping on the floor. That way I know I have done something worthwhile. After all, why clean a clean gun?? My dad said he felt sorry for people who did not drink because they felt as good in the morning as they would all day and had nothing to look forward to. I see a parallel with this line of thought.

Have a Happy Easter!!

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Why I like

I I I I Think I like your thinking ??????????????????

3. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Why I like

What does "clean guns" mean???

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Why I like

I think a clean gun shoots better just like a clean car drives better, all in my head

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Why I like

"Dirty" powders may impact some semi-autos; but the only ones I have are Beretta's, and they are fine even with Promo.

I never understood why it would matter in a break-open shotgun.

I save about $30 a jug with dirty powder. Clean every 1000 rounds or so.

I suppose I should clean more often - but I have not determined why it is needed.

Don Verna

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why I like

It's good to clean a car and clean a gun. Clears the head and one feels more organized. Perfect activity for the neurotic in all of us. I'm at the head of that line.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Why I like

"I suppose I should clean more often - but I have not determined why it is needed."

Yeah. The new crud blows the old crud out of the barrel, and who wants to clean one layer of crud.

GS

8. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Why I like

There are more reasons than a dirty gun for wanting clean powders. I could actually care less about the dirty gun thing. However I reload, and that black sooty dirty stuff is all over the hulls that I reload and I make a horrible mess when reloading with them. There are black marks on the frig from when I got beer, black marks on the containers from retrieving snacks etc etc. Anyway those dirty hulls sure make a mess of everything you touch.

9. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Why I like

I too am guilty of the dirty gun. I admire those with spotless guns. I am also guilty of loaning a dirty gun, knowing it will come back clean. Am I going to Hell for this? Can I save anyone a seat?

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Why I like

whosyourdaddy--I started this thread and now you have given me thought---loan a dirty gun and it will come back clean!!!! HUMMMMMMMM!!!

11. Chocolateman

Chocolateman Member

Why I like

Sorry to Thread "Jack"...but all this talk of dirty cars made me remember something I saw this winter in the great white north.

Driving down the road...after a heavy snow fall the day before...saw a SUV covered in a white salt layer...and needing a good washing.

Someone (husband ?) had written on the back on the SUV....

" I wish my wife was as dirty as this car "...

hahahahahaha..almost had to pull over to the side...becuase I a laughing so hard....

FYI..My wife who was with me @ the time..didn'tt see the humour.

12. Stone Man

Stone Man TS Member

Why I like

I dated a girl who was an archeologist once. She was "Dirty"

13. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Why I like

Jim. As a kid, my Dad used to make me clean all of the guns after a day of shooting or hunting. Well worth it in my opinion. He always had spotless guns and still does. Even as 40+ adult, he still lectures me on how dirty my guns are, even after I have cleaned them. Sometimes when my guns were really dirty, I would ask him to take them home with him so I could ride my motorcycle to the club next week. He always brought them back spotless. This worked great until I tried it when there was snow on the ground. He still hits hard for an old guy!!!!!!

14. philk

philk Member

Why I like

Any reason to crack open a bottle of Hoppes 9, mmmmmmm

15. letts

letts TS Member

Why I like

I aways thought Dean Martin said that. I heard him say it on his TV show. He also said if I did not have olives in my martini I would get no nurishment while he held one (martini) in his hand. Loved that show then.

Letts

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Why I like

It's cheap and it works my 1100.

17. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Why I like

One of my favorite smells when I was a little kid was when I would walk down to the basement to see what Dad was doing and as I took the first step the wonderful scent of Hoppes #9 would fill my senses with that wonderful sweet smell. I would immediately begin dreaming of days in the field with Dad, following in his footsteps stalking the elusive whitetail or elk. Wow, I miss my best friend...........

18. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Why I like

If you want a dirty powder, don't mess with any of the ususal stuff, click on the link, this IS dirty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.