1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Why I Don't Post My Name.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Why I Don

A lady was on FaceBook and posted she was going out of town for 2 weeks. When she got back she found that her house was broken into. She couldn't understand how that happened. ???????? DUH. She put to much info on FB like alot of people.

People here are posting their names and address at time. Others have posted their phone numbers and I have heard they can get alot of info from someones phone number.

I maybe over protecting my ID but I'm not giving it out freely.
  2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Who cares and how is this shooting related?
  3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Smart Move! I'm always warning my teenage neices to not put out where they are or where they are going every waking second out in the public domain...predators of all sorts are always watching ..
  4. minnship8

minnship8 Member

That's pure BS rationalization for hiding your identity and not being accountable when you bash someone and call them names.

If you don't have the stones to sign your name to it, you probably shouldn't say it.

Chip Porter
  5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Happened to us too....got a little careless on FB and had a break in to the tune of $30K.....
  6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I know who you are Calvin.... beware!

See you ate Thurmont????

Guy
  7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Ljutic73, what may I ask was stolen? What was stolen that you CAN'T REPLACE. If you don't want to say thats fine.
  8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Thurmonts probably not in the cards Guy...feeling too poorly to make the trip..thanks for asking
  9. Nutso

Nutso Member

You can post your name, but saying things like I'll be gone shooting, or on vacation is stupid, it's like an open invitation to saying hey nobody is home, come on over.
  10. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Google your name!! Jimmy Borum (Oh s**t)
  11. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

I dont post my name or have a facebook account... dont want all my old girlfriends to find me...HAHHAHHA
  12. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I think there is alot of non- shooting info on here so this is a good bit of advice... but I feel trapshooters are different than most... I hope more honest but good advice just the same
  13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Guy,

I will be at Thurmont on Sat and Sun, hope to see you and Aline there.

Oscar
  14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't think it's prudent to post photos of your gun collection and use a traceable online identity.

But hey, if others want to do that, fine. More power to them.
  15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Its not the people we talk to here on TS.com(I hope) but those who come in to look or get info you don't want them to have.
  16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Auctioneer.....a bunch of my wife's' jewelry my late Mom's wedding rings and watch.....didn't have them in a safe.....got to feeling pretty safe out here on the farm...not any more....

Ron Burr

Alberta
  17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Crooks will do anything.

We had a couple young bastards watching the obituaries and looting the homes when the funeral was going on.

Cops finally got them watching a potential target home.

Identity thieves will succeed with only a tiny scrap of info, they can reconstruct the rest.

Do what ever makes your bird sing, but don't criticize others for being careful.

HM
  18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Sorry you lost things that were handed down from family memebers. Those things can't be replace.

Halfmile thanks for your post.

When I was 16 my sister was driving me to school one morning. At the end of the driveway I saw someones head sticking up from the bushes from across the road. My sister didn't want to stop but I made her. It was a kid from school who I knew. I got in his face and chewed his ass out but good. He knew what I could do at that age. I told my father and he just strugged it off. After I got older I figured out that he was casing the house for a brake in. You have to be careful now adays.
  19. oz

oz Active Member

when you have a wedding or funeral you put it in the paper. what to do you think the thieves read first? the ones that CAN READ of course.
  20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Oz thanks for reminding me of that.

When we have a funeral at the house we have people here setting up the food and things after the funeral and I hire a off duty police officer for the time we are away. I pay the officer cash once I get back and make sure he has something to eat also. Keep them happy and you are happy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.