1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Why I Carry A Gun*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT-100dc, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Remember, call on Smith & Wesson then call 911. The NRA National Rifleman magazine has a section call "The Armed Citizen"; the outcome of these newspaper stories from across the country: they survived (at least the victim survives). It's not named "The Armed Citizen" for nothing.

Darrell

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Mr charles I didn't see you had already posted this. Sorry about that. Jackie B.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Bravo great post

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I carry a gun because God blessed me with a wonderful family and people that I care for,,,,and the responsibility to do so. Jim

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

AMEN!!!! bigdog AMEN!!!!

6. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Not only men should carry a gun!!!
    I hav only had that feeling you know the one that someone a higher power is telling you something... This kids were just little and my husband was working the late shift... a guy I didn't know knocked at the door selling of all things cancer insurance. I tried to be nice by asking him to come back... set up a time so on. he wouldn't take that for an answer and proceeded to place his hands on the door.. I reached for and cocked my gun.. Needless he wet hmself and never returned. That could have been so different. We live in the middle of no where. If I would have screamed no one would have heard me. Thank God for the right to carry a gun!!!

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I carry a Knife for the same reasons!

A knife is much more efficent in confined spaces. It is much easier to be disarmed when you rely on a gun in a confined area. If I'm outside and someone wants to shoot me and they know what there doing I probably don't stand a chance!

If they don't know what there doing I'm confident that I'll find a way out since most people can't hit anything past 50 feet with a handgun.

I urge anyone who wants to carry or defend themselves to become prepaired and train weekly for years or get a baseball bat and an 870.

Joe goldberg

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

gun fitter,,,,learn to shoot from retention,,,,knives are also good, but not against multiples,,,,JMHO

9. dzneff

dzneff Member

I do not carry a gun because of our current excess of lawyers.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I carry a gun because of the training I have had all my life.

Everytime I pick it up in the morning I pray.

Lord please make this the day I do not need to use it!

Al

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I carry a gun because i am too old and slow to run and too old and weak to fight.

Now, I have to think up an excuse for when I was young. Oh yeah, I remember now. There were several million yellow skinned folks that wanted to kill me and my buddies.

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

A very good friend (and long time police officer) once asked me "you've carried a pistol for years and never had to use it. Why do you still bother?

My reply to him: "See how good it works."

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

MODEL NUMBER-12 You may only need it once . It would be nice to know when but we don,t .

14. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Jim - I don't carry also. BUT, isn't it a great chance when we feel the need, IT IS TOO LATE? I think about that some.

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Keep shooting. Life is dear. Ammo is cheap.

Dennis

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have carried a gun for over 35 years, needed it once but you never know when you will need it a second time ... I take no chances when it comes to taking chances anymore, thats why I carry my gun ... May your aim be true when you need it the most, and always fire twice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A gun is like a parachute "It is better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it."

Don

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

pendennis-"Never bring a knife to a gun fight."

In a recent study Houston if I remember. 80% of the gunshot victims reported survived their wounds. A significantly higher survivability rate than that of knife wounds. In my calculations I'm significantly better armed in a confined space against a single attacker. Remember I know what I'm doing and most of them don't. I have carried on occasion and when I did I was in places most sane people should avoid. I had no choice I was working at the time.

I think we all should have the right to protect ourselves especialy in our home.

I just caution that the general public will feel a false sense of security because they are carrying.

An old man once told me he had seen a lot of trouble coming his way. Most of it never happened. Avoidance is the best form of protection.

If you live in a bad neighborhood get a gun and learn how to use it. Don't just go to the range and learn to shoot seek out someone who has some experience with carrying. Preferably one who has survived an incidence where they had to use lethal force.

Remember most of us on this site are quite experienced with firearms and if you have hunted it is a plus.

The average individual who buys there first gun for protection is just like a new driver awkward and dangerous. A new driver will take 6 months to a year to develop the habits required in order to make driving second nature. How long will it take a new gun owner to become proficient and safe enough so that they are not a threat to themselves and others? Probably years if ever.

19. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

A man needed to carry one yesterday in Baltimore. He was walking out of johns hopkins hospital after seeing his wife, and he was robbed and shot in the parking lot next to his car. This is one of the many reasons people should carry guns.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

You are likely to be attacked when you feel "safe". That is when your guard is down. It is not good to ever feel too safe.

I live is a "good" neighborhood but still carry - even when in the house.

Gunfitter makes a good point about the knife, From inside 21 feet, you can not draw and fire (from a concealed carry) on a guy who rushes you with a knife. We ran this drill in training and it was an eye opener.

Be thankful we can defend ourselves. That right may not last long.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.