1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why/How do my handles keep bending ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have four MEC Grabber reloaders. I have now had to replace two of the handles that have become bent. The handles I replaced were angled down enough that they almost touched the reloading table. I can't recall placing an undue amount of downward pressure on the handles at any time - surely not enough to cause these handles to bend.

Both reloaders undoubtedly have several thousands of rounds reloaded on them. One was a 12 ga. and the other the 20 ga. It's not terribly expensive to replace them . . . about $15 for a new handle from MEC. I did try to see if I could straighten the "old" handles but no success.

Anyone else experience this ? Thoughts about why this may be happening ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WOW As my my Grandpa use to yell at me when i would break something, "G** Dammit boy. You could tear up an anvil".

How much wad pressure do you apply? I'd say it takes a considerable amount to bend a MEC handle. I have two and i'm not sure i could bend one. AT least not loading anyway.

In case you don't know, that should never happen while reloading. It simply does not require that much force. Something is wrong either with your machine or your loading procedures.

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

replace your mec handle with a crow bar. good luck with it

4. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

It sounds like you maybe bottoming out on your down stroke. Look for an instruction manual and see if you have them setup correctly.
    Carl

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The machines are possessed by demons, be careful. HMB

6. amboy49

My reloading bench is one that I constructed from plans many years ago and I'll admit it is absolutely rock solid. But . . . I don't think I've come anywhere close to applying enough "excess" pressure to bend these handles. I probably should actually describe the problem as the handle not so much bending as losing its "factory profile." Is it possible that after many years there is some sort of metal fatigue/stetch ? I note the handle actually has a "twist" as it comes from MEC. I've even thought about sending to MEC to see what their opinion would be.

To the suggestion that the press is bottoming out at the bottom of the downstroke I checked and don't see anything being put in a bind.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Call Mec and discuss the situation......breakemall

8. oz

oz Active Member

I cracked one. welded it and it was fine. oz

9. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Maybe has something to do with Bicep and forearm try using 2 fingers?? I have never had any troubles. Dave B

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

MECs are sort of "Flexible Flyers", but they're hard to beat for the money, especially the Grabber. If all four loaders have been used the same, maybe the two bad ones had defective handles. Can you drill them, and brace them with some strap?

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

are you talking about the wood handles getting wallowed out and appearing bent or the steel arms actually bending? thanks

12. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

speaking of anvils..............

13. amboy49

I'm trying to describe the handles actually bending. As mentioned, when the handle is in the "up" position it's not all the way up. ( Don't go there ! )

It starts about an inch to an inch and a half lower than the normal position. Then, when the handle is pulled down it is close to the base of the reloader.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

amboy49, Popeye biceps's will cause that. Those are made with flat bar stock and bent. It's possible those two machines handles weren't hardened quite enough too? I'd just order a couple new ones from MEC.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.