1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why high viz sights?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I have heard more than one trap instructor say not to look at your sights, use black tape over them or even take them off once you get your gun shooting where you want it to.. so if this is true, why do people add high viz sights to their trap guns? thanks! Keith
  2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Overland Park KS
    I have one since it came on my Browning XT...you don't look at the sight...you look for and focus on the target, but it helps in your peripheral vision. Some like 'em, some don't...kinda like Ford vs. Chevy. Try one, you may or may not like it. Me, it's okay. Regards, Ed
  3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Because some people use the sight to aim at the target. They never had a trap instructor show them that they could shoot without a front sight, I suppose.

Shooting at night with a blacked-out sight can be a frustration. I paint a white light pipe with flat gray model paint for night shooting so I have some idea of where the end of the barrel is. Otherwise I just take the light pipe out of the front sight for day time. It puzzles the heck out of the people when you tell them it's a peep sight.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The sight/bead-bird relationship becomes an unconscious one during the shot. The "front sight", whatever it may be for you, must line up correctly for it to trigger your brain's fire command. Your whole trapshooting career is trying to teach yourself to consistently repeat an unconscious function of your brain. Can't help but think hypnosis would be really helpful, but nobody mentions it. Good luck.

Myself, bought Hi-Vis/TruGlo sights because one club I shot at had at trap that was always shade when I got around to handicap. My front bead would seem to disappear when I mounted my gun to check alignment. The fiber optic sights solved this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.