1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY HAS SPORTING CLAYS BECOME SO POPULAR?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hELLO:
    why is sporting clays so popular? I tried a couple rounds, to me, it felt like a round golf with a shotgun. i have enough trouble breaking 16yard targets, i get enjoyment by breaking targets, not missing them. i respect all shooters, all shooting sports, but i have never seen a shooting game take off like this sport. why is sporting clays so popular? trap seems to be down as well as skeet in my area.
    steve balistreri

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

You know what else is somewhat surprising regarding shotgun sports is the growth in Cowboy Action shooting. I was shooting with a fellow recently who was getting ready to go to Arizona for the winter, so I was asking him about his shooting out there. He stated that he only competed in Cowboy Action shooting in the winter months and was telling me about the number of shooters that are registered to compete ----- I can't remember the numbers, but they were surprisingly large and have grown quickly over a short time.

They aren't really a fringe group of shooters if you take the number of registered competitors into consideration.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello again:
    that sounds like fun, but i tried shooting a 22 ruger and i could hardly hit the paper. i wonder if shooting a handgun is considered harder than shooting trap in competition?
    steve balistreri

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think the reason for the popularity of sporting clays and cowboy action shooting is that they are FUN.

Both sports have a much more relaxed air. You can talk while on the line, no one cares. There's less pressure to compete against the top scorers. Most people simply compete against themselves. The schooting scenarios change, giving different presentations. It's not the same repetition.

When I first started cowboy action shooting I noticed a big influx of shooters from IPSC. They simply got tired of the equipment race, and that IPSC was getting further and further away from real world shooting. Also, many revolver shooters felt that IPSC obsoleted revolvers, whereas in the real world they are anything but obsolete. Many tried cowboy action shooting and never looked back.

Sporting clays is a lot more fun for me than trap. Trap is precision target shooting with a shotgun. Sporting clays is more like hunting. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy trap, but I shoot trap to hone my skills, not for competition.

5. emufriedchicken

emufriedchicken TS Member

Trap I feel is more a mental sport than a shooting skill sport. As soon as you get bored and the mind wanders off you lose a target. There is bugger all difference in the amount of lead a target gets in trap. However sporting is both a mental and shooting skill sport as targets can come from most points of the compass and speeds are so different. Leads can differ very dramatically. I have even been told that skeet is easy because you know where your targets are coming from.If that was the case then why arent the break records of skeet as high as Trap??????? I shoot most disclplines but havent tried any ISSF yet as I dont have access to a club that has those facilities but would love to try it. But I have to say that I enjoy skeet,sporting and 5 stand much more than trap.

Cheers from Australia
    Tim

6. gold40

gold40 Member

One reason that many "informal competitors" like Sporting Clays is that it prepares them for typical hunting shots/opportunities. I shoot SC with many hunters that use it to practice for hunting season. They only shoot in the 40's, 50's, or sometime 60's....but it improves their hunting.

Theortically, that was the original purpose of SKEET.

JERRY

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

For me, it's because shooting trap is the same target over and over and over and over and over....

I get it. They're all coming out in front of me, and they're all going away.

With sporting clays, every target is different, every station is different and every course is different.

Some are flat, while others have hills etc.

It's the same as bullseye shooting vs. IPSC.

check out my wesite to see what I mean

http://www.ysr-racer.com/

brad g.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Its popular because you don't have to shoot 100 straight to be in the winners circle. In trap you miss one and you're all done if its a good size shoot. At many sporting shoots scores in the low 90's are big scores. And also for the reasons above stated, particularly its a lot of fun. Every station presents a different challenge.

9. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

When you shoot trap there are no surprises.Every place you go it's basically the same. Maybe the back round changes, big deal. If your focused on the bird the backround shouldn't matter anyway. As stated above in Sporting Clays every station, every place you go no two are the same. I shoot protection and sporting clays. Gave up on registered,Takes too much time and money. Sporting clays isn't cheap but its a hell of alot more fun in my opinion. The club I go to we pull are own birds. The ones we break easily we quit shooting and the ones we struggle with we shoot more to figure out how to break them. We have a blast. Trap is too much repetition, gets boring. Never been bored at sporting clays. Protection you shoot 5 birds from each station as does your partner,it's fun and if we have a good night we get our money back or make a few bucks. We can go on week nights almost any day of the week and don't have to hang around for 8 hours to shoot 100 targets. It's all about having fun. Registered trap isn't for me. To really be competitive you have to shoot maybe 600 to 1000 targets a week. Don't have the time,money or inclination to do that.
    Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

10. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but they do it because it's fun. It also makes you an all around better shooter. I started in minnesota when the horse and hunt had the first course in minnesota, and it's a ball. Plus it's the people, same as trap or skeet, you meet some of the most caring, sharing and nicest people shooting. Plus it's addicting !! I brought several time champ Jon Kruger to the clays course for the first time years ago after shooting trap, He looked at me and said this is something I could give up my job for (he owned a cabinet business) it's so much fun.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Every course is different. You never know what to expect when visiting a club for the first time.

Some courses are easy and others....

I've never been at a sporting clays shoot (fun or registered) where someone shot a 100!

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Sandbaggers are everywhere. If you are a cheater, you will do it everwhere in life.

13. GIV1911

GIV1911 TS Member

It's just plain fun period

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sporting clays has gained favor by shotgunners because of "shooters perceptions" of winning without having to shoot perfect scores. Any shotgun games played takes dedication and mental preparedness to be successful. Current trap angles place the mental part of the game very high as stated above. In my opinion, changing trapshooting's format to an easier game, angle wise, gives new shooters the impression of having to shoot perfect scores and most quit. Sporting clays would suffer the same consequences if 100s became the norm with easier set targets. It's all about how shotgunners perceive the game played and what their chances are of posting decent scores, not perfect shooting. The game of sporting clays fit that notion well besides being total fun. JMHO Hap

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

For the same reasons that most of us would like a different woman every week.

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

For those who have never shot sporting clays: The planning and thought process that goes into each shot-it's more like CHESS with a shotgun. Where is the target coming from, how far away, how fast, is it climbing, dropping, curving away, where is my hold point, where do I break the target? In pairs, which target do I shoot first, and where is the second target going to be.

Should you shoot pre-mounted or low gun; maintained lead, pull away, swing through, often changing from one to the other depending on the target.

Usually you repeat each pair four times, so if you hit the first pair, you have to duplicate those shots. If you miss, you get a chance to make corrections, and hopefully you have learned something for next time.

All this time, the rest of the squad is watching, encouraging, and appreciating your efforts. When was the last time anyone on your trap squad knew how well you shot a round of trap.

Every course is different. North Carolina has trees, California mountains, Nevada desert. It's a variety that's largely lacking in trap.

Even a round of 50 sporting clays targets which might take an hour or more is a satisfying experience. It's not a sport of burning ammo as fast as you can load and pull the trigger like a trap squad usually is. With the price of shells, you can see how appealing that is.

So the question should be, not why sporting clays is so popular, but how can we make trap more popular. As long as I've been shooting, the "games" have been as popular as registered shooting. In fact, many shooters only shoot the Annies and Protection, and never shoot ATA targets.

We need to figure out how to fix the problem.

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

guns used by sporting clay shooters?

18. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

around here i can shoot 100 practice targets of trap for ten bucks at my local ikes as a member, 12 bucks for a nonmember. sporting clays is around 23bucks for a hundred. i can shoot twice as much trap for the money here. it's economics for me, i'll stick with trap.jackmitch

19. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

If you want to treat yourself to the finest in sporting clays,try this place.The trac goes thru the woods for over a mile.The golf carts they give you have all the bells and whistles.I try to get there at least once a year or more.They hold the Joe Hardey Open every year.All the factory sponsered guys show up.Along with the Outdoor Channel.Good stuff...Nuc

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: guns used by sporting clay shooters?

Any shotgun that can hold two shells.

Much like trap. You have $400 guns and $3000 guns.

The ability to change chokes a must. IC & LM will cover most courses. Throw a full choke or modified in the bag and that should cover all situations. Some put in a tight choke and thats all they shoot.

I see a large number of Beretta semi-autos at the clubs. Starting to see the sporting version of the 1100. A large number of women and yourth shooters at many shoots, so maybe thats the reason but a lot of guys are shooting the semi-autos.

Some shoots have side by side, pump, as well as small gauge events. You will see many out with there hunting guns in those type of events.

You can play around with loads, but 1oz #8's will take care of most targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.