1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why even shoot registered targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

As a new shooter, I am trying to figure things out, but something is not making sense. Assume that I am not principally interested in becoming a top shooter or make money, just doing this as a hobby hoping to get better and have fun.

Considering that no matter what class you are, the different shoot winners are always >99% so if you are technically a C/D shooter, what's the point of even having a class when someone will always have a good day and win with a 99 or 100x100.

Now, my club charges $5 to register targets aside from the other fees so I am trying to figure out what's in it for me to have my weekly targets being registered? Ok so ATA keeps track and after 1000 targets, I will get a class, but so? I don't care what class I shoot in if I do decide to attend a registered shoot since I don't plan on winning anyway (at least not for a while).

So aside from having to pay more to shoot every week, what's the point of getting your targets registered if you are either just starting out or are a lower level shooter?

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I think that if you elect to shoot registered targets, you are required to join the ATA? I seem to remember reading that 90% of trapshooters are not ATA members. Shooting trap is a good way to get out and meet some great people.

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I sort of see your point but I don't think that is entirely true. The short yardage Northern Illinois zone champion shot a 96, in 2009, a 94 won it. A 95 won C class singles at one my club's shoots earlier this summer.

Don't sell yourself short, plan on winning.

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

As you develop new friends at the gun club, some will go off to a registered shoot and come back with tales to tell. You might just go along next time to keep them company and get sucked in.

I know a guy who went from your current situation and became President of the ATA and is now enshrined in the HOF. He never really shot great scores but he found a life with friends he still enjoys, now after about 50 years.

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

vpr80,

C and D class are not always won with >99, even at large shoots. And who's to say that you won't be the one to post a top score?

If you have the desire to see how you would do under the conditions present in competition, then registered shooting is a good place to do it. Most of us don't win every time we shoot. But the possibilty that we might keeps us coming back.

And there's no denying that eventually it gets in your blood and it just becomes something that you do.

Don't sell yourself short. Give it a try. If it's not for you, then at least you can say you made the attempt.

Enjoy

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I actually did join the ATA to be able to shoot at registered meets and was fully planning on getting my targets registered, etc etc. But then I started thinking that for the extra $5 every week, I can shoot an extra round every week.

Does it make sense to just shoot the min required to get your HCAP distance and that's it?

7. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Being an ATA member permits you to attend any registered shoot anywhere in the country. It allows you to compete at any club, public or private, that is having a registered shoot. Access to a range might not be a problem for most people but to some being able to a shoot at a members only, private club may be one of the few oppertunities you have to shoot trap. Keep the "wood" on the wood......sshotshell

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Just to clarify, I fully plan on shooting as much as I can and doing shoots that are in the area. I was just thinking whether I should be registering my weekly practice targets and what's the point?

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Some people need to belong to organizations to enjoy doing things, others don't. Some people don't think there is value in doing something unless it costs a lot, others have a different view. Some people enjoy doing things with a crowd, others are happier with a small group. Some people feel that there is more competition in the ATA while others don't really care. Some people like to see their name in a book at the end of the year, others aren't impressed. Some people see a purpose in it, others don't.

We don't shoot at registered targets. You decide what satisfies you.

Carol Lister

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Wether or not to register really needs defined by you.. What you will get from it, new friends, new experiences, varied shooting conditions, etc which will definetly elighten your overall pic of the game.

This game is no different than fishing, boling, tennis, golf, etc. Every sport has different levels you can play in. They all have their respective rewards as well as dissapointments. You also know what you can afford and we don't. You'll have fun and should atleast give it a try. It might be enjoyable enough to you that one day we'll recognize you as our president :)

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

I thought he same way for the first 6 months of trap shooting. Now I shoot ATA.

If you have a train wreck shooting practice you soon forget about it. You do not learn from it.

When you shoot registered, it hits your average. Those one or two bad rounds will be the ones that keep you from not making the next Class. You see them every time you look at your card. That puts pressure on you. It is part of competition. And if you beat yourself because you have not learned to deal with pressure, you will never win or be ready for a shoot-off. You are not prepared mentally.

Those "99's needed to win in C/D class" are NOT the norm at the majority of shoots you will attend when you start. Go to one and see for yourself. Yep, at the Grand it may be true - but so what?

You do not need to shoot ATA to have fun. You must shoot ATA or Leagues to compete. At our club we welcome both types of shooters; but all the good shooters shoot ATA.

Don Verna

12. woodsman

woodsman TS Member

Don't get discouraged. Even though shooting 50 - 100 shells at a leisurely pace at a club on practice night is fun but what does it count towards? Practice is great but it does not compare with trying to improve your average to move up the classes or earn a yard in the handicap. I always compete against myself first and the rest will come. I enjoy seeing friends and the camaraderie that occurs at registered shoots.

Remember most of the competitions that C/D class will shoot 100 straight are usually very large shoots and on the championship days. Not always the case at smaller trophy shoots / club championships. Set goals for yourself and keep plugging away at it. You will win a few here and there and as you improve you might surprise yourself.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

because I like the competition (with myself) and I like the people I meet at ATA shoots.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I really enjoy registered shoots. I also enjoy local club league shoots. The league shoots in my part of the country are limited to 50 targets, 25 16s and 25 hcp. To me that's just a tease leaving me wanting more.

The ATA shoots are generally 100 targets per event--I really like that! TY10 is my fifth ATA season. My singles average is in the high 93s, my caps in the 87 range and dubs low-mid 80s (just started TY08).

Last year I was able to win trophies in both the PA and MD state shoots. Way cool! The B class non-resident H0A at the PA state was the highlight as the PA state is second in size only to the Grand. Winning B class open HAA at my MD home state shoot after a shootoff wasn't too shabby either. I had a good Grand also. I didn't win anything, but was appx . 20 some odd targets out of class HAA HOA contenders. Room for hope. A couple of years ago a young 20yd shooter won the GAH grand daddy of them all.

Each to their own. I like shooting and mingling with shooters that are above my skill range. I virtually always shoot better scores at the "big" shoots. I have many friends who are excellent shots who never shoot ATA who would be competitive if they did.

If you think you'll never achieve, you won't. Why not give it a try and see for yourself.

Guy Babin

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I see this forum is full of optimists! Alright I guess I'll shoot enough to get classified (I think it's 1000 right) and then see from there. As I am shooting well enough to move up a class, I guess I can shoot some more registered.

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

There are optimists here, but dangers lurk in the shadows.. keep your guard up!

Have fun my friend.

Guy B.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you want to compete and eliminate the daily fees and ATA membership fee join a club league and see how that goes ... You might find that is all you need to fill that void and still get a greater degree of satisfaction than just shooting practice ... That all depends on your competitive spirit and desire if you decide to go beyond that ... I know some shooters who have never shot registered targets and get a lot of satisfaction from league shooting ... What ever works for you is whats right no matter what anyone else says ... Good Luck .. WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

vpr80, I can see your point, but I don't think you will ever reach your full potential without registered targets and the mindset it takes to break them.

If you miss one in practice, well, okay, no harm done. If you miss it shooting registered, it hurts. You want to know why and then you take steps to not ever miss that bird again.

Registered shooting is a mind game. Shooting unregistered targets is just past time.

Good luck and good shooting.

Hauxfan!

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Registered for $5????

I think the chum is in the water.

Don

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Huh?? I don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.