1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why elbow up?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

The photographs suggest that if I were shooting in the 2008 Olympics, perhaps it would not be necessary for me to keep my elbow up. But, I believe that at the Grand, having my elbow up keeps my gun into my face better.

Another interpretation of the photographs might be that the very best shooters do not have the problem with head lifting that I do.

Pat Ireland

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

also not many high ribs, I didnt see any glow stick front sights either. Any olympic shooters useing recoil reducers of any kind.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

i bet they all have release triggers too

bill

4. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I agree with Pat. It really keeps me in the gun . I noticed it yesterday while shooting sporting clays as I started out shooting over targets. As soon as I raised my elbow it kept my head down on the stock & everything was fine after that.

i_shoot

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

What can happen if you raise the elbow too much, I see some shooters with it pointing up, way up. Just curious.

6. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Probably more qualified people out there than me, but elbows up help lock the gun in place, and, for me at least, my forearm hand elbow up keeps me from trying to arm swing the gun up to the target, keeps me smooth.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They don't need recoil reducers shooting 24 gram (7/8) loads. Elbow up = flapping chicken. Those guys keep everything tight. The flapping chicken came from a national shooting coach about 25 years ago.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Notice almost everyone in the Olympics "Crawl" their face forward on the stock.

Most Olympic shooters are pretty fit, & have normal neck, they mount their guns lower on shoulder.

Peter Sinclare thanked this.
  9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I think Release Triggers are forbidden in Olympic trap.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

International trap requires a range of motion not required in American Trap.
    First of all, the shooter has to hold low on the house to catch the very low target. At the same time, he has to be physically able to raise the gun very high and very fast to get up to a very high target. Laterally, he has to be able to move the gun fast enough to hit the very fast target as early as possible; but he needs to be able to move the gun far enough in both directions to fire a second shot if necessary.
    The gun is low on his shoulder and he has crawled up the stock so that his entire upper body can control the gun. Sporting clays shooter do the same thing, so they can move the gun a long way with a lot of speed on fast crossing targets.
    The low elbow permits the shoulder to raise, providing a pocket for the stock.
    Many great shooters in all shotgun sports do that rather than raise the elbow to create the pocket.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Pat, I would agree with your assesment. those shooters don't sufffer from taking their cheek off the stock.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think the gun mount now used by Olympic shooters is a carry-over from old days. Days when they had to have the gun stock down by the side at the call and mount the gun quick. The mount looks more like a serious bird shooters mount?

Elbow up is a trap comb lock. That's how I see it. Hap

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had a friend in Las Vegas about ten years ago who explained about the
    gun mount, elbow, and position of the butt pad low in the shoulder. He had shot in the World Championship for Great Britain. He also wrote about internaional trap in the magazine that was the predecessor of Shotgun Sports. His name is Derek Partridge-some of you may remember him.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I think you guys have it figured out. These guys do not lift their head, are young and in elite physical condition, are shooting what is basically a high velocity 20 ga load in a 12 ga gun, and are set for a wide spectrum of targets.

Bunker guns tend to be light on the front end, and the shooters pictured are holding out near the front of the forend, to get quick gun movement without losing precision pointing. Recoil and muzzle flip are minimal, so the guns are held to get them to a difficult target.

Staying in the gun for the second shot, if needed, is much easier with such a gun and load. Different guns, different targets, different techniques. I also hold my right arm at about a 45 degree angle for all my shooting.

Did I mention they are the best shooters in the world with the best Coaches in the world? Also, they are VERY TRAINABLE. Working with Collegiate shooters (mostly teenagers), I can relate to this! LOL

With this said, I utilize many techniques of Intl' shooting for ATA. I use a 32" Browning XT for Bunker, and do relatively well with it. I know there are more suitable firearms, but we all have our favorite horse, even if they have trouble winning a race.

I am sure there are many folks on this forum more qualified to give opinions and observations on this than I. LOL

15. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Sheik Ahmed...probably one of the FEW guys who can truly AFFORD this game!

FN in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shtogun elbow position

trap shooting elbow up

why hold rifle elbow up